Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
ThrowingStones3

Help with first setup:

Ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated here. I've been asking people for years and everyone has a different answer, which I'm sure will hold true on here. But I'm finally financially ready to make some music. My wife will be away doing research for 6 months, and I want to make her some "songs"--- we'll see. I've been playing for about 3 years and love it. Just jamming over top of music is so soothing and makes you forget all of your worries. i ****ing love making music with just my guitar, but I still haven't actually made any.

My current set up:

Pevey "telecaster"

Small Epiphone amp with one input.

small digitech effects pedal (which i hate, but dont know why, i mean it has some cool customization and a simple delay, but dont like it)

and thats basically it. acoustic, and a mic as well.

Objective:

To be able to make beats with a drum machine (analog.. NOT on computer), record them, play over top of them with guitar, and record. The problem is you can't play over multiple loops, just one.

Question 1:What is a simple way to record me playing over top of a drum machine?

Question 1a: Is USB tech better than like an analog 8 or 16 track? b. Is this because of ease of editing? c. Do most of these devices come with editing software?

Question 2: for most of those usb looping machines, do you need a sound card?

Question 3: is it difficult to install a sound card

Question 4: Will the 1 input thing not allow me to have a loop station and a drum machine going at same time?

Question 5: Tell me about drum machines...I've seen these drum pedals as well. whats the deal?

I know this a lot to handle, but honestly I'm still a guitar newbian, so take it easy on me...also when i say Im financially ready, thats an overstatement. Im still a blue collar guy who tries to do everything on the cheap, yet still try to obtain best quality 4 buck

Question 6: Is buying pedals and music equipment used online like ebay dodgy? I assume you'd want to be in person to try most of these things, unless new.

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!
ThrowingStones3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingStones3
Ok. Any advice would be greatly appreciated here. I've been asking people for years and everyone has a different answer, which I'm sure will hold true on here. But I'm finally financially ready to make some music. My wife will be away doing research for 6 months, and I want to make her some "songs"--- we'll see. I've been playing for about 3 years and love it. Just jamming over top of music is so soothing and makes you forget all of your worries. i ****ing love making music with just my guitar, but I still haven't actually made any.

My current set up:

Pevey "telecaster"

Small Epiphone amp with one input.

small digitech effects pedal (which i hate, but dont know why, i mean it has some cool customization and a simple delay, but dont like it)

and thats basically it. acoustic, and a mic as well.

By "Small Epiphone amp" I'm guessing you mean a little 15-25W starter pack solid state amp that sounds like ass?
Is the Digitech pedal a multieffects unit? if so it probably has a USB output which is a good start.
What microphone is it? and do you plan on recording the acoustic?

Quote:
Objective:

To be able to make beats with a drum machine (analog.. NOT on computer), record them, play over top of them with guitar, and record. The problem is you can't play over multiple loops, just one.

Why are you insistent on an analogue drum machine? And don't you dare say because the ones on the computer sound too fake or all the regulars here will shoot you.

Quote:
Question 1:What is a simple way to record me playing over top of a drum machine?

Assuming the drum machine has 1/4" or XLR outputs (if you insist on analogue) then plugging it and your guitar into an interface or multitrack recorder.

Quote:
Question 1a: Is USB tech better than like an analog 8 or 16 track? b. Is this because of ease of editing? c. Do most of these devices come with editing software?

A USB interface and a hardware multitracker will be comparable quality, but the interface would be more flexible with post processing simply because of the nature of a software DAW. Both of those will be easily better quality than an analogue multitrack, and much easier to attain (especially on the cheap).

Quote:
Question 2: for most of those usb looping machines, do you need a sound card?
Never seen a USB looping machine. If you're talking about a recording interface, then they act as a USB sound card.

Quote:
Question 3: is it difficult to install a sound card

Well if we're still talking a recording interface then all you do is plug the USB cable into the interface and into the computer.
If you're talking a regular PCI/PCIe sound card no, not really. Just find the slot it fits into (it won't fit anywhere it isn't supposed to go), unscrew any covers, place it in, and screw it in place.

Quote:
Question 4: Will the 1 input thing not allow me to have a loop station and a drum machine going at same time?

You mean on your amp? If your amp is what I think it is then it's irrelevant because I wouldn't even try to record with it, just use amp simulators. If you get an interface it will most likely have two inputs, and I doubt you'd find a 1 input multitracker . Even if you did only have one input, all you would do is record the drum machine and then overdub your guitar on top of it.

Quote:
Question 5: Tell me about drum machines...I've seen these drum pedals as well. whats the deal?

You mean like a kick pedal? They're for hitting a kick drum
Seriously though I haven't a clue what your on about. We generally use programmed drums with some nice samples, so I don't know if anyone here can help you with analogue drum machines.

Quote:
I know this a lot to handle, but honestly I'm still a guitar newbian, so take it easy on me...also when i say Im financially ready, thats an overstatement. Im still a blue collar guy who tries to do everything on the cheap, yet still try to obtain best quality 4 buck

Give us a number, how much you're willing to throw at this. Recording is not nearly as cheap and easy as some people think it is.

Quote:
Question 6: Is buying pedals and music equipment used online like ebay dodgy? I assume you'd want to be in person to try most of these things, unless new.

Not really. I would always go to a store to try things like pedals first, but after you know it's what you want it shouldn't really matter where you get it from. Just make sure you check the seller's reputation and feedback.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

^ All excellent advice. You just forgot to direct him to the sticky

TS- Theres a sticky here which tells you all about the two main options for recording.

I'm also curious about why you think you have to have an analogue drum machine. I'm not even sure you can buy one that isn't digital these days! Probably worth noting that something like the Zoom R24 (mentioned inthe sticky) acts as a standalone multitracker, pc interface and also has a drum machine built in, giving you a full set up.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

^ Gary, I'm willing to bet that by 'analogue' he means hardware, rather than actually containing analogue circuitry as opposed to digital.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
and a mic as well.

"Should I drink the wine?" Um.... what is it? And with what? Not all mics are created equally. Assuming even half-assed quality, any given mic will be good at some things, but not all things. Really crappy mics don't really do anything well, and even esoteric boutique mics won't do everything well.

Quote:

Unless your physical drum machine has something you especially love about it, I'd step into the 2000's and do it on your computer. I used to have a Boss DR-something-or-other. It was great by 1990 standards, but I think I'd sooner eat glass than have to give up even a basic drum sequencing editor than to go back to it.

The reason people say that computerized drums sound fake are either because:
- they use fake sounding samples (solution = use good samples!)
- are poorly programmed (thank goodness programming your beats on a computer is much easier than programming beats on something like an old Boss unit)

Quote:

Record your drum part (if you actually insist on using the drum machine), and then play it back while you record your guitar over it. The methodology will be dependent upon what software you are using.

Quote:

By "USB tech", I assume you mean interface. Yes, they generally do come with some sort of entry-level recording software, which is perfectly adequate for most people's uses, until they decide to really start taking it seriously. We bought our nephew a Yamaha interface - just a little one - and it came with Cubase AI, which is really good.

As for analog vs. digital - there is SO much debate on that on line at all levels of recording expertise. If there was a clear winner, there would be no such debate. You can't tell by listening what songs/albums are recorded to which media, so don't even stress about that. The advantage of digital is that editing is WAAAAY easier. Ever try to splice tape? I've seen it done. I real life, even. But I can't imagine trying to splice tape for every edit I wanted to make.

Quote:

Usually an interface will have at least two inputs, which will allow you to record a single stereo source at a time - like a synth, keyboard... or maybe even that drum machine. If you're just recording by yourself, you'll just plug your instrument (or mic) into the input and record your part while the computer plays back the parts you have already recorded.

Quote:

No idea here either.

Quote:

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance!

Whether buying new or used, it's nice to be able to try stuff out. Unless, of course, you already know what the thing does, sounds like, will suit your needs, etc.

Buying used will always get you a better price than new.

My personal caveat against eBay is that I have given up buying anything from outside of Canada on eBay. If I buy something from the US, by the time I pay duty and shipping on whatever it is, I find I might as well just buy the damned thing new.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: