Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Airzzy5000

Professionals, want to help out a music student with some research?

Hi all,

first off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't quite sure where to put it, likewise I apologize if this sort of thing isn't supposed to be on this forum full stop.

I'm a music student currently doing a research project on the necessity of portfolio career elements in music-based professionals, specifically freelance players. I've written up a questionnaire directed at those who make a living primarily/entirely from music-based fields (composers, players, artists, teachers, music community workers etc.). This forum seems to have a pretty diverse range of people on it, and i was wondering if anyone who considers themselves a professional musician (or a professional in any of the aforementioned roles, as well as few others you'll find in the questionnaire) would mind filling it out for me.

It's online (no messing around with paper or word docs) and doesn't take more than two minutes, and would really help me to broaden the demographic of people i can get responses from.

All responses are entirely anonymous and unidentifiable, all the data will be stored safely and securely and at no point will be shared with any third parties. It will only be used by me for the purposes of my research.

All in the name of science right?

Sorry for the long post and it'd be great if anyones interested? Let us know and I'll put the link up.

Cheers.

EDIT: Now that I've had a bit of interest (thanks again by the way), i thought i'd stick the link in the main post, just in case

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9JVVB2V

Last edited by Airzzy5000 : 04-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Airzzy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
LaughingWater2

put the link up! i don't mind doing it!
LaughingWater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Airzzy5000

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9JVVB2V

cheers mate, much appreciated!
Airzzy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
daniel.kPL

I'm into this!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
PopeCap

I think I see what you're aiming at. I can tell you what you need.

If you want to eat, pay rent, survive, potentially have a family and all that good stuff, you need to be all of those things. If you can't, you will be a barista in addition to one or several of those things.

However, I just went to a show with some pro musician friends of mine. They played original music and that's all they do. However they have very low expenses, they are technically homeless and live to tour, barely just clearing their food, cell phone and other bills. It can be done that's way. You have to decide what kind of musician you want to be and what other non-music things you want out of your life and then... go for it.
PopeCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Done.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I did it too. Note that music is not my primary source of income. I found it interesting that the survey assumed "professional musicians" don't work in fields unrelated to music. Sure there's an "other" choice but yeah, you'll find far more active gigging musicians working unrelated day jobs than otherwise. Perhaps this doesn't fit your description of "professional musician". If this is the case my participation may be invalid.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
immigrationseo

the use of technology in my practice will help me to live some of my professional values, such as creativity and inclusion, and help me meetmy goals of providing learning opportunities which respect the needs of individual learners and align teaching with scholarship. In addition, there arepractical concerns such as my professional development and career goals tobe considered, along with the expectations of students
and colleagues. As aneducational developer, I think it is important for me to understand all of theavailable tools and to be able to advise both staff and students on the benefitsand challenges to using those tools for learning, teaching, and research.

http://immigrationoverseas.com/Australia.aspx
immigrationseo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: