Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
EilisMD

Newbie Question!

Hi there,

I am just beginning to play acoustic and I am having a problem, and I want to know if only practice will solve it. Do any of you have tips for making sure the little finger doesn't mute a string? Example, when I play a "D" chord, it doesn't come out right, and I am frustrated. Advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Beth
EilisMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert

Most people would play a D chord with their 1st, 2nd and 3rd finger with the little finger being kept out of the way entirely, as seen here: img.youtube.com/vi/yh6sPqDEZCY/0.jpg

Practice will always help improve technique, string muting through unwanted hand positions (especially in barre chords) is something that people just have to work on.

Try to make sure your finger tips are at a near 90 degree angle to the fret board as that will ensure the minimum chance of them interfering with other strings.

Hope that helps
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
EilisMD

Oooooooh, no little finger??? OK, I'm going to check out that link and maybe that will solve my problem. It makes sense because my little finger is weak and I don't have as much control over it so it does get in the way... you're right!! Thanks so much for the advice!!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by EilisMD
Oooooooh, no little finger??? OK, I'm going to check out that link and maybe that will solve my problem. It makes sense because my little finger is weak and I don't have as much control over it so it does get in the way... you're right!! Thanks so much for the advice!!

The absolute worst mistake a beginner can make is not using their pinky. You wouldn't normally use it for an open D chord, but in general just make sure you can use it as easily as you can use your other fingers.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
SGFAN4174
Dissonant Harmonics

^ This. You don't need it for the open D but you will need it for lots of other chords, so get use to using it.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
JacobReedShred

You could also play the strings one at a time to see which string is the problem then try to fingers from touching that string or you may need to press harder
JacobReedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
CJGunner7

Just don't use it for that chord, also it all comes with time, eventually you find out how to position your fingers so it doesn't happen, power chords killed me haha i could never stop the other strings from ringing out but over time i just figured out how to mute them, time and practice are the keys
CJGunner7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
EilisMD

Time and practice are the keys... yes, I figured that, and I have to get past my frustration with myself when all of the above things you all mentioned happens... the muting, the not pressing hard enough etc. That is a good suggestion about testing each finger/string at a time. Thanks for all of your ideas and tips; I will keep them all in mind!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Firefox1095

No beginner I've ever seen got the chords down from the first time. I personally struggled with the D chord the most when I started. The key is to practice. Practice, practice, practice. Grab a guitar and practice for two hours everyday (or even an hour). Basically, your fingers aren't as "stretchy" yet because you're just beginning. Over time, your finger muscles will grow and your fingers will get stretchier and you'll be able to do things you would regard as impossible right now. Hell, even to this day I surprise myself. I look at some things and I'm like "I'm never gonna be able to play that" and about a week later of practice and repetition, I get it down and I surprise myself.
Firefox1095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: