Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
slackrabit

Ground to a strat body

Hi guys

For my second ever project (so still very new at this) I am putting together a strat. Everything is good to go but I have a question regarding grounding wires.
Some people it seems use two and some three. I have the "jack ground" and "claw ground" in place, but was wondering about the "body ground"...

I saw a guy drill a hole into one of his pickup cavities and put in a small screw. He then soldered a third ground from a pot to this screw. Is this correct. Did the screw go directly into the body (i.e. no metallic paint on inside cavity of some such thing)?

thanks

Stephen
slackrabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Roc8995

No, that's not correct. The ground wire should connect to the claw. A small screw like that would do nothing unless conductive paint was being used, and even then it's not a great solution.

Start by taking your claw ground and connecting it to your volume pot, and then the rest of your grounds to that. If you have noise problems or want to give yourself a more complete system, you can look into conductive paint and copper tape - but those all get connected to that volume pot/claw ground. You have to start there. That's the basis of a standard Strat ground.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackrabit
I saw a guy drill a hole into one of his pickup cavities and put in a small screw. He then soldered a third ground from a pot to this screw. Is this correct. Did the screw go directly into the body (i.e. no metallic paint on inside cavity of some such thing)?

I don't understand why it's done like that. I've had a number of guitars that have had the screw under a pickup, but with no conductive paint or shielding. For that to create a ground loop, the cavity needs to be shielded with something that's conductive. Often a jumper isn't even needed in a shielded cavity because the pots are grounded and pressed against the conductive material, but it's not a bad idea to have one just in case.

As previously stated, the ground wire to the trem claw is a must.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Was the guitar that you seen this done on shielded?

This is a common practice when shielding guitars. You put a screw into the body, that makes contact with the shielding, then run a wire from that screw to the claw, where your other ground wire should be.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: