Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
flexiblemile

Questions about Scarlett 18i6 and general questions

Hello everyone!

I'm back in the market for a good audio interface. A while ago I made a thread about the AKAI EIE pro and even though people here warned me that there were problems with the hardware, I bought it anyways and now it's broken and my store credit is on the way so I'm looking for something better.

Here is what I plan on doing:

70% of my time will be spent at home recording guitars and vocals track by track and mixing them.

30% of the time I would plan on recording my band, hopefully in a decent enough quality that it could be a reasonable sounding demo. The setup would be as follows (lemme know if it makes no sense)

The interface is feeding the PA so we can hear ourselves. The acoustic guitar , vocal mic and electric guitar plugged in the card (VST for the electric guitar) bass would be line out from the amp right in the card and vst added later. The drummer has like 15 mics that he is feeding in a little mixer that would then go into my card.

Ideally each instrument would have it's own track so I could then mix to my heart's content.

Please note that I never tried this so I'm wondering if it's feasible. please let me know if this is unfeasible (incidentally, would a win 7 64 bit machine with 2 2ghz processors and 4 gigs of ram be ok to record all these tracks at the same time?)

So I've been looking at the Scarlett 18i6 and it seems ok and is well within my budget but I was wondering how we would control input volume on the rear line in jacks since there's no gain knob. Like for example the vocal mic would get one preamp, the bass line out would get another one and we could adjust the volume before we press record but what about the other ones?

I don't mind spending more money on the saffire pro40 but it's firewire and I'd kinda prefer USB so I can use my laptop instead of carrying my tower to the jam space.

I also looked at the tascam us1800 but it seems almost too cheap to be good and while the reviews online seem good there's a lot of bad feedback with users and if the preamps are crap anyways I'm not sure it would be worth it...

I don't mind buying used but there's not much on kijiji/craigslist right now and since I have store credit, I would prefer if I could find a way to work with one of these three products.

Or anything else at this store I guess...
http://www.archambault.ca/instrumen...000000000-en-ct

If my post is confusing, I can clarify :P I have a tendency to ramble sometimes

Thank you all!
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Just grab the US1800. Excellent value unit, the drivers are very simple and rock-solid, and the preamps are fine.

Incidentally, since the Scarlett 18i6 only has two XLR inputs with preamps, so in most cases you'd be relying on the preamps of whatever mixing desk you're plugged into anyway.
Those 8 XLR inputs on the US1800 are extremely useful since you can record a full band without relying on any other hardware....whereas with the Scarlett you're going to need a mixing desk for anything over 2 tracks.

Here's a few tracks I recorded at a local music festival last Saturday using the US1800. They're pretty rough and not properly mixed yet, but it really does do the job perfectly:

http://rightontime.vilayer.me/CWREC...k%20(rough).mp3

http://rightontime.vilayer.me/CWREC...he%20Barman.mp3

https://soundcloud.com/kjmay/fernst...perstition-v1-0

Whatever you do, make sure your mixing desk has an insert or recording out on each channel, otherwise there's no way of getting the signal to your interface.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound

Last edited by kyle62 : 04-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
flexiblemile

thanks for your answer but the thing is I wouldn't really be using a mixing desk, only the drummer would have a mixer.

The electric guitar, acoustic guitar and voice would go directly in the card and the bass would use a direct out from his amp. Effects for instruments would be VST (lepou, amplitube and such) and we'd hear ourselves by sending the interface into the two PA speakers

EDIT: I'm at work now but I'll listen to your songs when I get home
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexiblemile
thanks for your answer but the thing is I wouldn't really be using a mixing desk, only the drummer would have a mixer.

The electric guitar, acoustic guitar and voice would go directly in the card and the bass would use a direct out from his amp. Effects for instruments would be VST (lepou, amplitube and such) and we'd hear ourselves by sending the interface into the two PA speakers

EDIT: I'm at work now but I'll listen to your songs when I get home

Definitely the US1800. The 18i6 has nowhere near as many inputs (only 8 analogue in total with only two of those supporting mic/instrument).

Those recordings I linked also used VSTs for guitar.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: