User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Chorstman

When did you become good?

Hey Everyone,

I know this changes from person to person and everyone will have a different answer, but i'm just curious how long it took you guys to get "good" while taking guitar seriously. I understand being good is subjective to what the individual player believes is good. I know this will also depend on what style of music you mainly play (jazz, metal, classical, etc.) so maybe include your main style too? I'm just curious how long it took most people on average.

Also please excuse if this is in the wrong thread.
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Ridalgo

I felt confident around 4 years.
Ridalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
supersac

not there yet at least not where i want to be
im comfortable in a metal rock blues and jazz setting

not so much in a classical one

Edit: ive been playing 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
unicornicopia

I kind of felt like I was pretty good after like 3 or 4 years, but just recently (after like 8 almost 9 years playing) it's gotten to a point where I'll do something and impress myself with it, and that's pretty exciting when it happens.
unicornicopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Even though I perform in front of people, like most, I feel like there's always room to improve. So, would I consider myself good? I'm good enough to play for an audience, but always working at my craft to improve it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

8 yrs, the last 5 practicing at least 2-3 hrs a day, starting to get pretty good I guess.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Metalloy

I've been playing for 4 years now, I know I cam a long way but i was expecting to be a guitar god in 4 years, now I see myslefas an average player, but I'm happy and I will keep practicing, hopefully reaching the desired goal as soon as possible, which at this point feels like another 4 years.
Metalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Sometimes I feel like a way-above-average golden god, sometimes I feel like throwing all of my gear through the window.
Inconsistency rules.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

I feel good each time I reach a new goal and you should too. The first time I could play a few open chords on a beat I felt like god. You just have to set yourself some goals to work on.
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
innovine

I was good after 118 hours, and 20 minutes.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
J_W

I've been playing for nearly 20 years. my head is not big enough to tell anyone I am good. That's not for me to say.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
lfcagger
twat

When I started, I would have probably considered where I am to be "good". Now, however, there are so many ways I know I want to improve. I kinda think if you think yourself to be finished and nothing more to learn, you're doing something wrong.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
lfcagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcagger
When I started, I would have probably considered where I am to be "good". Now, however, there are so many ways I know I want to improve. I kinda think if you think yourself to be finished and nothing more to learn, you're doing something wrong.

Exactly the same, if you showed me playing now to me when I started I'd probably have thought I was some kind of golden god but now... nah. I'm alright, good enough to play live in a band I would want to listen to but nowhere near as good as I want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Exactly the same, if you showed me playing now to me when I started I'd probably have thought I was some kind of golden god but now... nah. I'm alright, good enough to play live in a band I would want to listen to but nowhere near as good as I want to be

Exactly. As you get better your standards for "good" go way up.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
NickVarney90

I've been playing for 5 years now and am disappointed in myself for not really progressing much in the last 1-2 years. I feel I could confidently play a Green Day style gig and some Black Keys songs as most of the chord and note changes from the earlier stuff pretty much match the structure of the lyrics but I really want to be at a Keith Urban/Matt Bellamy standard and right I feel I never will be.
NickVarney90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

@NickVarney90: Why not? Focus yourself on Muse for a while and you'll become a lot better playing in the style of Matt Bellamy. The key word here is 'focus'. Without focus there's no hocus pocus
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
AndyGray
UG Addict

When I could nail a pinch harmonic ever time. So after about 3 years.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
NickVarney90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijsheijnen84
@NickVarney90: Why not? Focus yourself on Muse for a while and you'll become a lot better playing in the style of Matt Bellamy. The key word here is 'focus'. Without focus there's no hocus pocus

I can play a few Muse songs (Hysteria, Panic Station, Time Is Running Out) but I suppose what I meant was more his accuracy and precision rather than just his style. I'm currently practicing songs where I need to go from a chord at the low end and going into a solo and landing on the right fret.
NickVarney90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
KailM

My definition of "good" changes as I get older. Being a "good" guitar player is something that has ever been just out of my reach. I've been playing for about 17 years without missing more than a handful of days.

The guitar has such limitless possibilities that I doubt I'll ever reach the point where I say "Alright, I've now mastered the instrument. All I have to do now is just enjoy my phenomenal skillz."

However, if you're going to define being a "good" guitarist by non-guitarist/non-musician's standards, I think I became quite "good" after about 3 years. Meaning, I could play stuff people heard on the radio.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVarney90
I really want to be at a Keith Urban/Matt Bellamy standard and right I feel I never will be.

I think if you feel like you never will be, then you never will be. So much about playing guitar is mental, and it's easy to hit mental blocks where you screw up purely because you don't think you can do something.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to aim higher than where you want to be. I wouldn't look to Matt Bellamy as a model for "accuracy and precision" (not that he's a bad guitarist, but his style is a lot... looser than players that I would call accurate and precise). I used to find a lot of Metallica stuff quite hard until I stopped thinking "I can't play Metallica stuff" and decided to learn some Dream Theater

I'm not saying you should go for the hardest thing ever straight away, but if you look to players that you would consider to be godlike rather than simply really good, you'll find that you pick up stuff that ultimately makes easier stuff really really easy. Of course, the new problem is that then your definition of "good" suddenly shifts.

In answer to the initial question, some days I think I'm really good, others I think I'm terrible, like what "My Last Words" said though slightly less extreme on both sides As everyone has said, your definition of good is constantly shifting to just above where you're currently at.

A good way to always feel satisfied with your progress is to work on stuff that you're not very good at. I've found that for some reason I always try to work on stuff that I'm always pretty good at and that just leaves you feeling pretty defeated as it's hard to make progress, and you still suck at the things you suck at. Work on the things you're no good at and not only will your skills in those areas improve, you'll also be a more rounded player and feel much more comfortable with the instrument. Once you've improved your lesser skills to the level (or almost the level of) your best ones, you'll find the ones you'd previously plateau'd at are easier to work on.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: