Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Well I guess that depends on what you mean by "good" but I think I improved a lot when I joined a band. This actually forced me to practice and increase skills. Before that I was just doodling around in my bedroom. I joined the band after playing about 6-7 years.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Geldin

My concept of good has expanded a lot since I started playing. I can pull off some pretty crazy stuff, but the more I play, the more I realize how much more there is to learn.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
EilisMD

What a great question to ask in the first place. I really enjoyed reading all of the various responses. I am only a few months in... damn, I have a long way to go!!! But I do realize it's all very subjective. I have to realize that I will reach different goals and be glad about it... enough to be motivated enough to move on!! Thanks for a great discussion!!!
EilisMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
rabbittroopsux

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
I've been playing for nearly 20 years. my head is not big enough to tell anyone I am good. That's not for me to say.

a common thought held by people who are good at something. people whove probably accomplished a lot in various aspects of their craft, and recognize the endless depth left to learn.

for balls sakes, just take some pride in the skill youve developed. probably more than most people have on guitar or anything else. saying things like, "theres so much more to learn, or im no mozart, or joe satriani", when you are in fact pretty good kind of puts everybody down. to think you have to live up to some high standard is in fact big headed.

that being said, my response is the same basic answer that J_W and Geldin gave.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #25
narinderkapur

I've been playing for only about a year and a half, but I feel extremely good about the 'level' I'm at.

That being said, I play blues, punk and garage rock and while I'm comfortable with all three, it's now become more about perfecting my art sensibly rather than just keep one or two guitarists in mind and achieving their level of mastery. Cut my own track, if you will.
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #26
Bigbazz

After about 2 years of very hard and determined practice I was able to play pretty much anything thrown at me to some degree, though I was a bit single minded and most of that revolved around simple metal riffs and virtusio stuff like Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and fairly sloppy by my own standards today.

After 4-5 years I was very capable but not as good as I thought I was, you didn't have the youtube internet age of monster players then, I was told by many I was the best in my area, people came to shows to watch my band and complimented my playing and our band had a strong following.

The reality is though that by top level player standards I was actually still pretty much a sloppy mess and not well rounded enough, I could play almost anything but lacked the finer details in tightness and clarity in my rhythm because all my focus was on lead guitar, I had great vibrato by any standards (and still do) but when I listen back to old recordings of my playing there are many instances where I would tell myself "that is unnacceptable, do it again".

After about 6-7 years I peaked, mostly because I'd lost interest in just endlessly practicing, I'd been touring with the band a lot so didn't really have time for it anyway and I bought a World of Warcrat account (doh), I'm probably at 90% of what I was at my best in terms of raw speed/ability but in other areas I've improved greatly, I still see myself as having a long way to go.

Been playing for around 12 years now.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-10-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I will consider myself good when I master the infamous picking technique for the song in my sig, play the riff and sing at the same time.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
a common thought held by people who are good at something. people whove probably accomplished a lot in various aspects of their craft, and recognize the endless depth left to learn.

for balls sakes, just take some pride in the skill youve developed. probably more than most people have on guitar or anything else. saying things like, "theres so much more to learn, or im no mozart, or joe satriani", when you are in fact pretty good kind of puts everybody down. to think you have to live up to some high standard is in fact big headed.

that being said, my response is the same basic answer that J_W and Geldin gave.

I definitely didn't mean it that way, it's just that I have zero ego when it comes to guitar and I tend to let others decide how good I am rather than telling people how good I am. If that makes sense. I would definitely say as far as my own goals in music I am happy with where I am, although I do realize there is always room to improve.

A guy actually asked me the other day how good I am at the guitar, I seriously had no idea how to answer it.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I will consider myself good when I master the infamous picking technique for the song in my sig, play the riff and sing at the same time.

For some reason the bit that always stumps me on the main riff in Neon is the bit where he does the rake (he doesn't actually do it on this live acoustic recording but it's on the Continuum one). I don't know why that always gets me, I think it's just because it's in the middle of a fingerpicking style I'm not completely comfortable with. I find that there's some stuff that's not too hard to do isolated but is really quite difficult when surrounded by other stuff.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
Goncalo Crespo

I always feel I have a ton of things to learn, even though I've been playing for 10+ years.
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
or balls sakes, just take some pride in the skill youve developed. probably more than most people have on guitar or anything else. saying things like, "theres so much more to learn, or im no mozart, or joe satriani", when you are in fact pretty good kind of puts everybody down. to think you have to live up to some high standard is in fact big headed.

Balls to that, I will always hold myself to a high standard and screw what other people think. If they can't keep a view of themselves that's independent of the way I look at myself that's their problem!

Seriously; I know I can play, you don't quad-track some of the guitar parts I have without a good amount of skill. That does not, however, change the fact that calling myself good when people ask me is almost certain to be disingenuous - as much as anything else when ever anyone asks me about my playing they already have an idea of what "good" is, and that's probably different from mine. Usually if anyone utters the fateful phrase "So how good are you?" I spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to avoid answering. I much prefer to let my playing do the talking.

It may be a somewhat over-intellectualized view of the issue but at least it's honest, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Usually if anyone utters the fateful phrase "So how good are you?" I spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to avoid answering. I much prefer to let my playing do the talking.

It's always awkward for me when someone asks that. I should just say "Who cares, let's jam"
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #33
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
It's always awkward for me when someone asks that. I should just say "Who cares, let's jam"

People only ever seem to ask me either in pubs or at parties with no guitars to hand jamming never seems to be an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #34
flexiblemile

when I started taking lessons from this guy:

flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #35
J_W

Quote:
People only ever seem to ask me either in pubs or at parties with no guitars to hand jamming never seems to be an option

If that's the case just say "I'm friggin awesome" and never see them again.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I never became good, and i never will. Cause my view of "good" will always higher then the skill i currently have at that time.

In terms of my goals when i didn't know anything about guitar, i am a guitar god. But when you start learning, "the better you get" turns into "the more you realize you don't know".

I can play pretty much anything thrown at me if i work at it properly, but i will always looks back at old recordings and be like "Oh my picking technique was so bad back then" or "Man i was terrible at bending back then", even now. I will probably look back at some of my recent gigs and be like "Man i was awful".

Short answer, i suck. And i always will, by my own standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
Wolforn

I've been playing for 8 years now, going on 9. If you would have asked me 5 years ago I would have said I was pretty good, but now I dunno. It seems like every time I pick up my guitar I find something wrong with my technique, or something I need to learn. Yeah, that's how you improve I guess but it feels like a mountain piling up.
Wolforn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #38
StreetLight3989

It took me three years of playing and one year in a serious band to be confident in my skills. Honestly, I progressed 5 times as fast when I was in a band. Nothing will make you better faster than being in a band.

Of course I stopped for a year when my band broke up and just started playing again today. I lost my chops.
StreetLight3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #39
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll
For some reason the bit that always stumps me on the main riff in Neon is the bit where he does the rake (he doesn't actually do it on this live acoustic recording but it's on the Continuum one). I don't know why that always gets me, I think it's just because it's in the middle of a fingerpicking style I'm not completely comfortable with. I find that there's some stuff that's not too hard to do isolated but is really quite difficult when surrounded by other stuff.

Yeah man. The version you're describing reminds me of the first time I heard it on Room For Squares.

From what I remember, the sweep is an awkward one, cuz it's not like your typical C shape. It requires good rolling motion, as it's all same fret nonsense.

But yeah, like you were saying, it appears from nowhere while you're doing all the fingerpicking.

Last edited by mdc : 04-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #40
rabbittroopsux

Quote:
Balls to that, I will always hold myself to a high standard and screw what other people think. If they can't keep a view of themselves that's independent of the way I look at myself that's their problem!

Seriously; I know I can play, you don't quad-track some of the guitar parts I have without a good amount of skill. That does not, however, change the fact that calling myself good when people ask me is almost certain to be disingenuous - as much as anything else when ever anyone asks me about my playing they already have an idea of what "good" is, and that's probably different from mine. Usually if anyone utters the fateful phrase "So how good are you?" I spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to avoid answering. I much prefer to let my playing do the talking.

It may be a somewhat over-intellectualized view of the issue but at least it's honest, right?

shoooooooot; you better be good, because any time i read a technique thread, ive pretty much skipped through to see what you said, or freepower, or a couple other names. but ive generally considered a question answered when i see a post by you or freepower

Rate This Thread: