Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #41
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Yeah man. The version you're describing reminds me of the first time I heard it on Room For Squares.

From what I remember, the sweep is an awkward one, cuz it's not like your typical C shape. It requires good rolling motion, as it's all same fret nonsense.

But yeah, like you were saying, it appears from nowhere while you're doing all the fingerpicking.

Ahem, yes sorry, Room for Squares, not Continuum. I knew that... honest. Aaaanywho, I'll let everyone get back to the actual discussion now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
shoooooooot; you better be good, because any time i read a technique thread, ive pretty much skipped through to see what you said, or freepower, or a couple other names. but ive generally considered a question answered when i see a post by you or freepower

Heh, I think a lot of us regulars think the same.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 04-11-2013 at 05:01 AM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #42
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVarney90
I can play a few Muse songs (Hysteria, Panic Station, Time Is Running Out) but I suppose what I meant was more his accuracy and precision rather than just his style. I'm currently practicing songs where I need to go from a chord at the low end and going into a solo and landing on the right fret.

I did a cover of MK Ultra on my Youtube channel GuitarGuyGijs in which I have to switch from the 5th fret to 13th fret when the verse goes into the chorus at 0:48 seconds.

Just before I switch to the chorus I turn my head and look at that 13th fret. That's the key to hitting the right fret in big position shifts. Look at your target note just before hitting it. And ofcourse start out slower when you first begin practicing it.

(Click in the link in my signature to go to my channel)

Last edited by gijsheijnen84 : 04-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
ThTylrBllmn

Hopefully I never see myself as a "good" guitarist. I guess I've got more skill than the average chump but I can't see myself being satisfied with myself as "good" anytime soon. And I've been playing for six and a half years now.
ThTylrBllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
shoooooooot; you better be good, because any time i read a technique thread, ive pretty much skipped through to see what you said, or freepower, or a couple other names. but ive generally considered a question answered when i see a post by you or freepower

Eh, it's not hard to find some of my playing but I don't think there's been anything new put out for a while apart from one live video where I'm way too low in the mix anyway

By the end of the year there should be an album though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #45
marwa89
Banned

When I started, I would have probably considered where I am to be "good". Now, however, there are so many ways I know I want to improve. I kinda think if you think yourself to be finished and nothing more to learn, you're doing something wrong.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #46
marwa89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijsheijnen84
I did a cover of MK Ultra on my Youtube channel GuitarGuyGijs in which I have to switch from the 5th fret to 13th fret when the verse goes into the chorus at 0:48 seconds.

Just before I switch to the chorus I turn my head and look at that 13th fret. That's the key to hitting the right fret in big position shifts. Look at your target note just before hitting it. And ofcourse start out slower when you first begin practicing it.

(Click in the link in my signature to go to my channel)

marwa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #47
loinmute
U.G's Wookie

My 7th or 8th year outta 15, I became profecient in shred technique. I had been playing a blues-rock style, but when I got really good at palm muting chords and inversions of chords on the higher strings, sweeping is still the only aspect I have yet to master, but I am 32 and my favorite bands do NOT sweep, so, I am quite happy w/my guitar skills. Now, I am working on playing technical passages and difficult chordal progressions while singing. There is always attributes to master all thru your career.

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
loinmute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #48
AndrewLeCoche

I have been playing seriously since about 7th grade around the age of 12 and I am 20 years old now studying at a conservatory. At this point in my playing career I would confidently say I would be able to hang in most professional playing situations. It is more a matter of the amount of consistent practice and work you put in, as well constantly being inspired (either by discovering new music or seeing shows/concerts)

Here's a recent video I did of my playing so you can see where I am at. Let me know what you think!

[forbidden link]

Last edited by AndrewLeCoche : 04-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.
AndrewLeCoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #49
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLeCoche
I have been playing seriously since about 7th grade around the age of 12 and I am 20 years old now studying at a conservatory.

^ Same with me.
Except the more I study at a conservatory, the more I feel that I'm lacking in ability and knowledge. It's really just the beginning.
But I really agree with about the inspiration part, I got introduced to so much music during my first two years.

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 04-14-2013 at 02:49 AM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #50
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
^ Same with me.
Except the more I study at a conservatory, the more I feel that I'm lacking in ability and knowledge. It's really just the beginning.
But I really agree with about the inspiration part, I got introduced to so much music during my first two years.

That's one of the things that I think a music education could give me, which is an introduction to very different kinds of music and a way to look at it differently.
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #51
Chorstman

So do most people think around 3-5 years of serious playing? I'm approaching 2 years of playing and while i'm decent and can impress some people i'm not nearly as good as I want to be and it's frustrating, but I know it takes time.
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #52
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
So do most people think around 3-5 years of serious playing? I'm approaching 2 years of playing and while i'm decent and can impress some people i'm not nearly as good as I want to be and it's frustrating, but I know it takes time.

If there is anything you should take away from this thread is is that people are never as good as they want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #53
SebastianGrosu

Quote:

To build confidence I think there is minimum of 5 years of serious practicing required. I play for 20 years but only the last 5 were really important.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #54
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

I this thread
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
2infamouz

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

I know this changes from person to person and everyone will have a different answer, but i'm just curious how long it took you guys to get "good" while taking guitar seriously. I understand being good is subjective to what the individual player believes is good. I know this will also depend on what style of music you mainly play (jazz, metal, classical, etc.) so maybe include your main style too? I'm just curious how long it took most people on average.

Also please excuse if this is in the wrong thread.

Unfortunately I never got good. I haven't dedicated enough time to guitar and keep trying to pick it back up to no avail. Piano seems to be more up my alley, as it really came naturally to me. Once you have a good grasp on the basic theory of music, scales and what not and learn how to find them on the guitar it gets a lot easier, but to be a more advanced player I think it takes some real dedication and lots of practice more than anything. The Guitar Smith game where you literally hook a guitar up to the console can be really useful for learning new techniques and songs, but again I never quite got it down.
2infamouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #56
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Not till my early 20s...I started when I was 13, learned enough to play in the High School Jazz band. I was a hot head though about it, I thought I was the shit when I wasnt, learned alot of Metallica(which at the age of 35 I barely remember these days). I was broke, Poor and Married at the age of 19 and all I had was an Acoustic Guitar so I was forced to learn more and play properly so it would actually sound decent to my ears and others. Although I don't consider myself a Guitar God, I do consider myself pretty good. I'm not a shred type guy but I know my way around the Guitar, Leads, I only practice what I'll actually use, and I am far from the best!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #57
sw4l

i have been playing a year and i am no were close to what i want to achieve with my playing abilities.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
orion82698

I have been playing for 17 years and I still think I suck (LOL). I have days where I will record what I'm playing and go "wow I have come far" and then I have days where I think it sounds like my dog is humping my axe
Peavey 6505 + 112 Combo w/ C-V30
ISP Decimator/TS9/ZW Chorus
orion82698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #59
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

I've played guitar for nearly 6 years now and pretty much entirely metal other than the few times every now and again where I say "hey, I'm gonna get into some jazz playing". I don't listen to Jazz but it's always nice to learn new styles

Anyway, I was good enough to be accepted into collage on a level 2 (out of 3) music course after playing for 6 months with no previous experience with any other instrument. I wouldn't say I was what I would say is 'good' or 'average' until about a year though which is when I thought I could at least hold my own as a rhythm player.

I would say between 2 and 3 years is when I would say I got to the point where I was above that and saw myself as a great lead player aswell and with it came a ton of confidence to advertise myself at that level aswell.

I've never gone further than saying I'm very good though. I know that I will always be improving. I still remember some of my goals with guitar from years ago and how small and insignificant they seem in comparison to what I consider goals today.

I'm sure that if I see this same question in a few more years my answer will change. Maybe I will say "I've played for 12 years but only considered myself good after 7". It's just really hard to define 'good' and as people grow and change, so do their opinions.

One thing I can say for sure, me from 6 years ago would never imagine I would be able to play Megadeth, Children of Bodom or Arch Enemy songs at any point ever. It seemed out of reach and impossible for just 'some kid' to be able to do that. It's a nice thought that I achieved that though

Last edited by link no1 : 05-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
link no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #60
pick6

Freshman in college. I'd been trying to learn what other people played on records, pretty much straight up hard rock. Played in a high school band but played everything straight. Then in college there was all this other music people were into, and all these influences got me playing ways I hadn't before. It was like the blinders came off and there were unlimited possibilities.
pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: