Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #61
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Been playing for five and a half years. Been playing live for four of those years. Already done an A Level Music Performance course and been playing in a jam session live for about two or three years. I want to be able to play Appetite for Destruction (Izzy's part) all the way through and be able to play my favourite Led Zeppelin songs. Plus I'd like to have a really good ear. Finally got a serious band going so hopefully I'll improve massively from now on. I know it's not gunna happen over night but I'm happy working at it.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #62
TheProtoTYPE
Banned

from the moment I picked up the guitar.
TheProtoTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #63
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

I've been playing for 5 years and I began to feel confident in my skills at the 3.5 year mark. I still have a lot to learn, but I can hold my own and (most) jams.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #64
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtoTYPE
from the moment I picked up the guitar.

Wish I had this!
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #65
J2G
UG Member

I actually love this thread also... it keeps me motivated lol. It looks like the noob struggle is definitely real folks... I'm 1 year and 3 months in and sometimes I forget that and expect myself to be dope as hell already.
I see myself in the same places as most of you were when you began, learning/hearing new music and shit. It's cool. Never thought I'd be into bands like Periphery for example, but here I am trying to play everything they have lol.
^ EDIT: I'm struggling my heart out learning Luck As a Constant. ^

I'm enjoying this stuff so far... I put in hours of practice a day. I don't even count but I start in the morning and end at night if I'm not doing anything that day. (w/ breaks).
I hope to one day shred like a gawd, amen.

Last edited by J2G : 05-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #66
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Same here. I gotta admit that knowing that everyone will be heavily frustrated from time to time kinda puts me at ease, as in "oh thank god I'm not the only one"..
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #67
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I first thought I was good about 8 months into my playing, when I played The Trooper in a secondary school concert, however, I've always felt I could be better, and that's what's pushed me along. That was about 4 years ago, so I've come along so much since then, and if I was to actually say a moment that made me realise how well I've done with my playing, where I've become good by my standards now, it was a few months ago, when my old guitar teacher, the guy who taught me how to play guitar from day one, saw a video of me playing a guitar solo, and told me I did it better than he could have. For me, getting a compliment like that from a guitarist I owe my skill to was unbelievable.

I'm a Power Metal guitarist, so, technique is crucial for me, and even though I do consider myself a very skilled guitarist, it's amazing exploring what's next, what can be more technical, more complicated, how fast it can all be, that'll always be there. No matter how good you get, you can always be better, I think the key isn't saying "Oh god, I'm crap" when you can't do this or that, it's seeing what you can't do and having the determination to one day do it. Putting yourself down gets you nowhere, neither does thinking you're an unstoppable amazing guitarist, you need that middle ground.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #68
harmony_melody_

I became good when I did these things:

1. stopped pretending I learn all on my own

2. observing other players and asking myself 'what do they know that I don't?'

3. practicing off books , a little bit every day, with focus. In other words, learning some
discipline. It doesn't have to be a pain, but if there's no pain at all, well, guess what.

4. listening to a wide range of music (if you only listen to 3 bands and 3 guitar players and 1 genre, oh my, that's really bad. It doesn't seems like it is, but it is.)

5. realizing that I needed to learn not only about technique, but about ear training, chords, etc. Focusing only on a solo isn't a good idea. The paradox is that this will fit in naturally once you build a wider range of musical skills.

6. One of the absolute best things I have done, was learning to read music. Even reading tabs with the value of the notes, will put you way ahead of the pack. Too many reasons to mention why, really. This will put you at another level right off the bat. I was lucky to have learned pretty much as soon as I started playing guitar. It took a little while, but I can't believe what it did for me.

Last edited by harmony_melody_ : 05-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.
harmony_melody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
demonhellcat

From the moment the magnetic field of the pick-ups grazed my finger tip for the first time!

But seriously, I would say 'confident' is a better word for what you're asking, 'good' is too subjective. I've played 10 years but only in a band the last year. I'm a confident rhythm player in front of an audience and a slightly nervous lead player.
demonhellcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #70
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

I thought this would be a nice addition to this thread, so I asked Misha mansoor the following on his formspring:
"Hey misha, I myself as a guitar player was wondering - you being a pro and all - do you still get frustrated when practicing?

Misha

Yes, all the time. I kinda hate where I am at as a guitarist, sometimes I get very discouraged. I'd like to believe that is somewhat normal..."

He kinda hates where he is at as a guitarist - there you have it folks.

also instrumental periphery > vocal periphery
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #71
Jem555

Is Synyster Gates and Zacky V are mentioned??
Jem555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #72
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem555
Is Synyster Gates and Zacky V are mentioned??

Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #73
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
I thought this would be a nice addition to this thread, so I asked Misha mansoor the following on his formspring:
"Hey misha, I myself as a guitar player was wondering - you being a pro and all - do you still get frustrated when practicing?

Misha

Yes, all the time. I kinda hate where I am at as a guitarist, sometimes I get very discouraged. I'd like to believe that is somewhat normal..."

He kinda hates where he is at as a guitarist - there you have it folks.

there's a real heckuvalot of cancer in this post for somebody who probably just heard the first album and still thinks misha's the center of the world
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
there's a real heckuvalot of cancer in this post for somebody who probably just heard the first album and still thinks misha's the center of the world

Are you implying that I think he's the center of the world? Because, in my opinion, he's far from that. However, I still regard him as a professional musician and therefore I said he was a pro.

offtopic: checked out your profile a bit, glad to see that you like immortal technique! Man's a lyrical genius
Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #75
MarshallH

Since I started listening to buckethead my playing has improved dramatically. I think I have learned more in the last year than I had in the 7 years I was playing before that.
MarshallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #76
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words

Misha

THis is very enlightening.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #77
MopMaster

I got comfortable enough to jam with people I knew well about 18 months in. Weirdly enough that was easier than reciting a piece, which I got about 2 years in. Took me another 18 months or so before I went anywhere near jamming with strangers, and I got hooked on that. Still to recite anything in front of strangers.

As far as writing, I'm still terrified of showing anybody I know my tunes. I dunno, I'm fine with screwing up some if I'm improvising it, but if I supposedly wrote it I'd surely have the time to learn the damned thing, right?

This isn't shameless advertisement, honest.
MopMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #78
aging_metal_god

If I listen to the opinions/comments from others, I've been pretty damned great since I was about 17...if I go by how I feel about my playing, I'm still trying to acheive greatness at 49! I started playing in public places when I was 15, cruising around town with my Marlboro Strat copy and a Lectrosonic Mouse battery powered amp...I'd go under the High Speedline tracks in Collingswood NJ and play Hendrix and Who riffs till my hands hurt, at full volume, just to hear the natural reverb from the concrete walls and overhead tracks...it was great! Joined my first band (Ellipsis) when I was 17, and have never looked back since! Being good/great isn't about your technical proficiency, it's about making music that makes you feel good...in that vein, I've been "good" since the moment I picked up my dad's Kay jumbo acoustic at 10 years old, in 1974!

Last edited by aging_metal_god : 05-28-2013 at 10:28 AM.
aging_metal_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #79
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aging_metal_god
If I listen to the opinions/comments from others, I've been pretty damned great since I was about 17...if I go by how I feel about my playing, I'm still trying to acheive greatness at 49!

I know what you mean.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #80
BlueJayWater

That's a good question. Taking a step back and analyzing one's achievements, skills, and progression through the years can help you grow and expand so much later on. I have been playing for 5 years (wow, seems longer). I have been playing in a trio for the past year and we've been doing quite well. I also sing in the band. I would say on a completely honest bet, that I'm decent. Not good yet. I still feel I'm lacking with soloing, my listening-then-playing skills need more fine tuning, and my familiarity with the board is really just that. But I know I'm getting there. I feel that after the 4th year, you really start to understand what you're doing, and it's all smoothing out the kinks from there. Give me another few years, and I'll write back
BlueJayWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: