Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #81
BlueJayWater

Actually, now that I think about it, Maybe I won't ever be good. I feel that when you can safely say that you are good, a master, then all that's left is the fun. Now that's great, but I look at guys like Tommy Emmanuel, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, and I think, how can you guys still play that? There's no challenge. Then I see it's love. True passion for their craft. I know in my heart I don't have that dedication, but I also know I'm extremely humble. I guess to sum this all up, the day I'm good at guitar, is the day I quit playing
BlueJayWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #82
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
a common thought held by people who are good at something. people whove probably accomplished a lot in various aspects of their craft, and recognize the endless depth left to learn.

for balls sakes, just take some pride in the skill youve developed. probably more than most people have on guitar or anything else. saying things like, "theres so much more to learn, or im no mozart, or joe satriani", when you are in fact pretty good kind of puts everybody down. to think you have to live up to some high standard is in fact big headed.

that being said, my response is the same basic answer that J_W and Geldin gave.

yea this.... its funny, many of the same gents who are saying stuff like you mentioned about never really being 'good' because their standard is so high are the same cats belittling others for stupid questions or comments in other discussions. One thread you have your typical UG know-it-all tearing someone apart because they dont grasp modal infections or pinched harmonicas. Next they are playing the coy "Im not good because I have so much to learn." Some are being humble... others not so much. Not hard to pick which is which.

****s sakes just play. If your in a band and playing live shows and people dont turn for the bar or bathroom when your set starts your probably pretty good. Just say yea man I can play. When people ask me if Im a good baseball player I say hell yea. Just cause I dont play for the Yankees or can throw a 100mph doesnt mean I cant play the game pretty damn good.

Now I have not been playing guitar very long. About 5ish years. I started at age 35 when when the deep down pain of playing sports really started to set in so I started playing music to get ready for my next love in life.

Its hard, because I get really limited practice time, but 5 years into with a family, 3 kids, corporate job, etc etc I do manage about 10 hours a week of play and practice.

My big accomplishment and statement would be "I can play guitar."

Am I good? My response would be "I can play some things good, other things are total slop. Lets jam"

I would say I went from beginner to intermediate around 3 years into it. I had some buddies up to my ski house for a weekend of ski/jam/kill braincells. One buddy I only get to see once a year was loving how far I had come and we jammed all weekend. No kids. No women. Just dudes, skiing, a house full of gear and lots to smoke and drink. I think I got any nervousness from my playing out of my system and just stopped caring what others thought that weekend. Ive never looked back. I play with the toys at guitar center weekly. Its 3 minutes from my house. I dont care what people think when I play there. I just do ti.

Now I pick up the acoustic and jam hanging outside w/ friends etc and folks seem to really enjoy my playing and nobody enjoys it more than myself. I think many would say Im good. Probably not many here though
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #83
amonamarthmetal

I was always good. Dat natural talent.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #84
Lord_Volklin

I've been playing for about 3 months, I know the basic chords and can change between them pretty quickly(and more importantly, accurately). The only song I've learned so far though is Bad Moon Rising, I can play it pretty well but that's about it. I know the intros to some other songs but nothing I'd call really impressive. I figured I should get all the most basic stuff nailed down before I try to play anything harder.

I'm finding that the more I learn the higher my standards get. My ear is still terrible and music theory makes my head spin, but I'm getting there. I can see what I need to do to get to that higher level. I wouldn't call myself good, I haven't played long enough to earn that yet but I guess it's more than some other people can do.(not aimed at anyone in particular, just people in general.)
Lord_Volklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #85
emirvai

after 6 years of playing im still struggling with alot of stuff (shredding, sweep picking arpeggios...), since i broke my whole left arm 11-12 years ago i still have problems with that hand. My left gets tired and crampy fast, and sometimes its hard to control my ring finger... Still im giving my best to become good at playing guitar.
emirvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #86
newbienick

I think one should consider themselves "good" when the lay person could sit and listen to you play many songs and have them say seriously "i want to hear more". Anything more than that is above "good". >very good >great>excellent>accomplished. I can play lots of songs, but none very well. Not many that someone would want to listen to more than once. Just dont have the skills yet to play all the little ins and outs of many songs that make them so interesting and fun to listen to. Mostly basic strumming and simple finger picking. 1yr under my belt and still loving it though. Surprise myself once in a while.
newbienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #87
johnyere

This is going to sound cliche, but i really started improving when i found a good guitar teacher.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #88
LAWLIET107

I'm on my 4th year and I feel that I am better then average.
I never took lessons from a teacher or anything. I do all of my learning online with videos and readins.
LAWLIET107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #89
Meikle Treikle

The honesty here is refreshing! I've been playing about two and a half years, and it's really tough to rank yourself objectively. Some days I feel pretty good about my ability and others I feel like I haven't got anywhere in weeks. Having a teacher really helps to keep you moving each week. I can't play particularly fast but like to think I've looked at areas others might have missed; got pretty decent theory and my improv is not bad which some people completely miss out on and quite happy with some of my songwriting efforts. So overall, who knows.

What keeps me going is never feeling settled that I am 'good enough' and that's the important part!
Meikle Treikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #90
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

I started improving in about 12 months... Now I'm at a standstill, been playing for 1 1/2 yrs... No improvement... And it is really pissing me off! HELP!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #91
Syndromed
French guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKHED
I started improving in about 12 months... Now I'm at a standstill, been playing for 1 1/2 yrs... No improvement... And it is really pissing me off! HELP!!!

-->" Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin! "

Old 06-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #92
KingDime666

I thought I was good when I had been playing about three years. Got too cocky, someone posted a video of me playing on here, and I got ripped to shreds. Now I have been playing close to 10 years and I feel like I have a good understanding how to play.

Here is me in 2007 when I thought I was good. This is about four years into playing guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9z...-prjg&index=250

This is me today. I guess I am good? I don't know. Really don't like to say that. I like to say I know how to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf7y...ZzogpdMfZ7-prjg

Just a bit of advice. If you sound anything like I do in that first video, that's not good... not good at all...
- Epiphone Black Beauty III
- Ibanez RG200
- Squier Telecaster Retrovibe
- John
KingDime666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #93
LTaces

I've been playing on and off for about 7 years now, mainly noodling about mixed in with some serious practice too.

I would say that I'm reasonable on guitar, but I'm disappointed and think that I could be so much better had I practiced properly from the start.

The only reason I wouldn't say personally that I think I'm "good" is because by my own standards I can't play what I want to or play how I want to, whether that's being able to play my favourite songs or write my own material.

I have tonnes to practice and tonnes to learn and the more I learn the more I realise that I don't really have any idea about music whatsoever!!
LTaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #94
2PtDescartes

Hopefully by 2016.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #95
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
-->" Rock N' Roll isn't just a genre of music. It's a way of life. If you fall; get the hell up, brush off, and keep rockin! "

what's with the "devils" under my quote?don't tell me you've found a subliminal message that doesn't exist! *facepalm*
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #96
Syndromed
French guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKHED
what's with the "devils" under my quote?don't tell me you've found a subliminal message that doesn't exist! *facepalm*

Haha, no, it's just a coincidence!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #97
Blicer

Good is a relative term. I am not good in my own eyes, but I have improved.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #98
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
Haha, no, it's just a coincidence!

oh! okay... check out my mp3's... I uploaded a cool tone that I got out of my Vypyr 15 and Epiphone Special II... just sayin...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #99
Pinetreebob

I played guitar for a few years back in high school and when I got to college I got busy and pretty much stopped playing. I got hard up for cash so I sold my 1961 Gibson Melody Maker for $100 and my Ampeg amp also for $100. That was 1974 and I wish I still had them!
Fast forward 32 years and I took up guitar again. I have now been playing for about 7 years now and I have found that my 58 year old hands can do a pretty good job. I know how to play several songs, know dozens of chords and can do a bit of lead guitar. I can usually can figure out what key others are playing in and can join in but I really feel I will never be a great guitarist. I play at parties and jam with my family and friends and have a good time so it is worth it. It really doesn't matter that I am "good" or not.
Pinetreebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #100
cjog210

I didn't start getting serious until about my third year, that was when my tab sight reading skills started to get good. I didn't start sounding impressive (to me at least) until close to my 5th year. Granted that was about 7 months ago. That was when I started to getting into practice everyday for at least an hour or two. In 5 years this answer might change.
cjog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: