Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Patsfan1281

Tips/Advice on how to compose guitar instrumentals

Can anyone give some tips on how to compose music. Any advice on composing solos, rhythm playing, and rifts. I can play other people's stuff that are already pre-written, but when it come to making up my own stuff it does not fair out too well. As far as generes I like, I prefer blues(both acoustic and electric), rock, and some metal
Patsfan1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
supersac

listen to alot of music and work on your ear

also lots of practice just write something every day even if its not good or you foret it youll get better at it as you go along

also having a bit of knowhow on music like at least knowing chords and the major minor pentatonic scales will help immensly

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues

Last edited by supersac : 04-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Wicer
Another Guitar Player...

Start with chord songs, and slowly build from there. Learning common chord progressions helps as well, even if your song is a "4 chord song", (C G Am F), you have to start somewhere. Many big hits are 4 chords songs anyways.

When coming up with simple riffs, play around in the minor pentatonic scale until you find something you like and then find the key you like it to be in.

As for advancing from there.. I dunno because I haven't yet.
Wicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I think just noodling around with a scale isn't a good way to write riffs. You aren't thinking in music and your fingers do the job. Composing should happen in your head, not in your fingers. If you have a good ear, that's a good thing and makes composing much easier. If you hear something in your head, you can instantly play it.

Yeah, it's good to learn how different kind of chord progressions sound like.

Think in sound when you compose because the song will be sound, not fingerings on your fretboard.

And if you want to compose a rock song, listen to rock songs and analyze what's happening (structure, chords, rhythms, melodies).

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 04-08-2013 at 04:30 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Write a melody.

Determine a key centre

Find an appropriate rhythm that compliments your ideas, and the theme.

Harmonize the melody with chords.

Finally solo following a chord tone soloing strategy, as appropriate. This means decide where the chords seem to fall best. They don't have to change every note.

Mix it up by using occasional out of key ideas and accidentals.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0913
Write a melody.

Determine a key centre

Find an appropriate rhythm that compliments your ideas, and the theme.

Harmonize the melody with chords.

Finally solo following a chord tone soloing strategy, as appropriate. This means decide where the chords seem to fall best. They don't have to change every note.

Mix it up by using occasional out of key ideas and accidentals.

Best,

Sean

i concur but i would do it a little bit different since my music is very rhythm based

create a rhythm, using notes of course (fiddle around with scales or any patterns use your eyes and ears for this part) now determine your key what notes you can use, use those as your base and feel around for other notes that might not particularly fit but could in context

Find an appropriate melody that compliments your ideas, and the rhythm (However with instrumental music, i prefer contrasting rhythms between melody and the original riff, all personal preference). Harmonize in certain areas

If youre music calls for soloing find the appropriate spot, you definitely should give it a go but dont ask me lol

so find what works best for you and if its not what you want it to be, nothings set in stone back to the drawing boards. See my newest uploads on my page for a mood placer if you will >.>

good luck!

Last edited by slap-a-bass : 04-09-2013 at 05:19 AM.
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: