Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
cdgraves

Pat Metheny is the only guitarist you need to listen to.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #22
20Tigers

Freepower's suggestion is perfect.

Listen to music that turns you on and listen to it and play it until you are a guitar legend playing music you love.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #23
innovine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Freepower's suggestion is perfect.

Listen to music that turns you on and listen to it and play it until you are a guitar legend playing music you love.

Yeah, but I was asking for some suggestions on something new, not something I already know about. I'm a bit bored listening to and playing the stuff I listen to and play.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
Thanks for the suggestions. I really should have been more specific. Vai and satch are everything I hate about guitar. Different strokes for different folks is all, but I find that sort of guitarwork to be so very boring. I'd like something with less notes, less flash, less pretension. I listen to a good deal of postrock and stoner rock, but its all so full of itself trying to be the baddest or the most apocalyptic or the most epic. Where is the more mellow instrumental stuff? I'm currently listening to Yawning mans 'rock formations' album and its a breath of fresh air. Probably not going to make my all time fave list but it sounds like someone playing because they like it, not because they are trying to be the hardest or something. Although I like odd timings and stuff like cloudkicker, I find most metal to be just a dick waving contest in one way or another. I haven't really gotten into progrock cos it always seems like an interesting musical enjoyment is put second stage to complexity. I've been learning a little bossa nova for fun too, its a challenge yet still rather mellow. Not sure I dig the style really but its still washing my ears from all the rock aggression.

Then I guess you didn't listen to the two songs I sent you. They aren't typical shredding. Vai has lots of other stuff than just shredding and that's why I chose to post those songs. At least have a listen. But yeah, you don't need to like it of course.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #25
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie