Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
thestormunfolds

Should This Be Like This?

Bought a Telecaster Style guitar to put my new humbuckers in... Took it out of the box and this is what I notice: I've seen this before and I'm wondering is the normal thing for Telecasters? A design flaw?

Can anyone tell if it will worsen too? I can't have a replacement because they're not back in stock for a few months, I haven't found a guitar this nice in style either, but the overall quality of this just feels shocking, the bridge is also on backwards...
thestormunfolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
SteveHOC
Used Register

Are you talking about the binding, neck pocket, frets, or something else? The picture is blurry, also, what kind of guitar is it?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
thestormunfolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Are you talking about the binding, neck pocket, frets, or something else? The picture is blurry, also, what kind of guitar is it?

It's a Telecaster and it's the big chip on the neck pocket, runs all the way down the edge. :/

Yeah sorry I don't have a very good camera
Old 04-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
thestormunfolds

Here's a pic from the side might be clearer
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

Sorry, I meant what brand of Telecaster is it?

If it's just a finish flaw and you can live with I then I wouldn't sweat it. It's not typical to the Teles I've owned, but it could have happened when the neck was being bolted on.

If its more than a chip, maybe more like a crack in the body, I'd send it back and find something else. Like I said though, if its just a finish chip and the price was right (or if you can't find another, like you mentioned) I'd just chalk it up to QC or contact the dealer for a scratch and dent partial refund.

Edit: looks to be a finish flaw. I'd contact the dealer for a partial refund as they'd probably restock it as B-stock anyway if you sent it back.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
thestormunfolds

Quote:
Sorry, I meant what brand of Telecaster is it?

If it's just a finish flaw and you can live with I then I wouldn't sweat it. It's not typical to the Teles I've owned, but it could have happened when the neck was being bolted on.

If its more than a chip, maybe more like a crack in the body, I'd send it back and find something else. Like I said though, if its just a finish chip and the price was right (or if you can't find another, like you mentioned) I'd just chalk it up to QC or contact the dealer for a scratch and dent partial refund.

Edit: looks to be a finish flaw. I'd contact the dealer for a partial refund as they'd probably restock it as B-stock anyway if you sent it back.

It's a Harley Benton, bought it to upgrade EVERYTHING but I'm worried about upgrading the neck now, I can't see a crack in it but I'm unsure, as are they what it actually is. They've said they think it's a B Stock one that's got mixed in as theres a few things up with it but I can't find another HH Tele for a similar price, the Cedar Top on this looks brilliant too apart from where the paint hasn't covered
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

what brand of potato are you using to take those pictures? i cant see a damn thing
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'd either expect a partial refund (did you ask?) or I'd be sending it back. How much were you going to put into it? That is, why not spring for something of better quality right from the get-go, instead of dumping money into a cheaper instrument?

If you want an HH Tele that you probably wouldn't have to upgrade, there are at least a few in a less expensive price bracket.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
thestormunfolds

Quote:
I'd either expect a partial refund (did you ask?) or I'd be sending it back. How much were you going to put into it? That is, why not spring for something of better quality right from the get-go, instead of dumping money into a cheaper instrument?

If you want an HH Tele that you probably wouldn't have to upgrade, there are at least a few in a less expensive price bracket.

Bareknuckle Nailbomb in the bridge Gibson 490r in the neck (both already bought). It's going back for a full refund
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
thestormunfolds

I do really like the guitar though so I don't want to send it back but on the otherhand it's not fair that I've recieved a damaged one
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestormunfolds
It's a Harley Benton

There's your problem.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
thestormunfolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
There's your problem.

Are they that bad? I heard they'd sorted themselves out? It sounds great and I've not even put the pickups in it, feels great, just the quality is shocking
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Take the neck off, take a couple clearer pictures. It looks like a cosmetic flaw. Those will happen on budget guitars.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Take the neck off, take a couple clearer pictures. It looks like a cosmetic flaw. Those will happen on budget guitars.

True, but that's not to say that he shouldn't get a discount for such obvious damage. Sending it back is a good call.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
thestormunfolds

Quote:

I would but when the return is already been said is fine I don't want to risk damaging it anymore, I think I'm gonna go for a Dean Vendetta or something, the whole idea was to just upgrade a budget guitar rather have the value in the pickups/hardware than the body which is most likely going to get damaged
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
JustRooster
Organ Donor

A Dean Vendetta? Ew.

BUCKY
Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
thestormunfolds

Quote:
A Dean Vendetta? Ew.

Each to their own I've played, ESP Ec-100, Strats, Teles, loads and to this day my mates old Vendetta 1.0 has felt the best to play, sound wise no, but the pickups should take care of that.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
JustRooster
Organ Donor

If you say so.

BUCKY
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
thestormunfolds

Quote:
If you say so.

different people like different things
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Some people don't know the difference. If you like it, fair enough, I guess that's all that matters. But generally good quality will prevail over poor or mediocre quality pretty quickly.

I've never played one so I can't comment on the guitar.

Just out of interest, what is your budget? At least get a couple of other options before settling on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: