Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
shanman_

Burstbuckers - are they coil tapp/split? and would the tone be heavier or lighter with them on it? It's on that used SG
shanman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanman_
Ok i think Ive got it figured almost out.... In your opinion, is the Bigsby Tremelo bar on the Gretsch worth an extra 100 dollars? , or the PRS around 50 dollars more? which one is the best value?

I like Bigsbys, so I'd say yes, it's worth it. PRS vs Gretsch? Personal taste.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #23
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanman_
Burstbuckers - are they coil tapp/split? and would the tone be heavier or lighter with them on it? It's on that used SG

I'm pretty sure those are not split, the Burstbucker three is, but unless they were switched and the feature was added they should be straight humbuckers.

In my experience on the few guitars I've tried with splitting, the tone weakens when split, which is to be expected. That said, the Gretsch and PRS will likely be equipped with humbuckers in that price range (the Gretsch my have Filtertrons).

In answer to your question about the Bigsby: If you do go with the Gretsch, I would get one with a Bigsby. They're fun to play with and add character to the guitar and your sound.

I'd still go with the SG though I just think you'll like it for the Classic Rock you like to play (though the Gretsch certainly had its place in history, as does the Strat).

You might also look for a used 72 Reissue Tele, those are fantastic guitars and get a lot of love around here.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-09-2013 at 01:26 AM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

honestly i don't think that there are too many pickups out there that i have been 'wow'd by when split.

it sounds better in theory, but not for me.

series is better than splitting anway IMO but

get a faded SG maybe $400 and should last for a long time. i have had mine since '06 and its great. i traded a MIM tele for it straight up without a gig bag for the SG AND a HSC.

look around.

i have only played one electromatic, but i wasn't overly fond of it.

decide whether or not you would want a bigsby, or if you need it.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
shanman_

So where's the best place to find used good guitars? the Craigslist around me tries to sell their stuff full retail...
shanman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
dannyalcatraz

Personally, I start off with my local "Mom & Pop" stores. Music stores, mainly,but occasionally, I check out the pawn shops. I haven't bought one at a pawn shop, though.

Then I move to bigger retailers, like Music-Go-Round and Guitar Center, both on their physical stores and online. Generally speaking, they have good selection and return policies.

Other people then go onto classifieds, or their modern equivalents, like eBay, Craigslist and kijiji. Personally, I have never bought any used instrument via that route, but some people have good luck with it.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: