Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
roaraudio

Pro Tools

Anyone had a look at the new pro tools coming out (version 11).
Looks pretty sick as it has multiple metering forms (that someone has told me alot of other daws already have) and a nicer UI and "offline bounce".
Its also sick that yu can now use more than 4gb of ram.

Pretty psyched to use it when it comes out.
roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
chatterbox272

So it's available as 64 bit, has RMS and Peak metering, and offline bouncing. Reaper's had all that for ages, sounds like they're playing a little bit of catch up.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Sadly, a lot of the features are HD only like different forms of metering. One of the biggest hang ups I see with PT11 is the lack of RTAS support. I understand why but a LARGE LARGE SUPER HUGE LARGE amount of plugins haven't made the jump to AAX yet.

I'm going to keep it in mind but until I see an RTAS to AAX converter hits the market, I'm gonna pass.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
roaraudio

Yer i dig lockwolf. I saw an interview with one of the programmers/spokesman.. of avid. and he said he was Pushing developers to release aax versions (and making the upgrade free). So that better happen lol
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I think the biggest positives are the new metering (former uni lecturer posted on Facebook that the metering shows gain reduction for stuff as well, when comp'd?), but especially the offine bounce feature. While some may claim that offline bounce in other DAW's always sounds different to the main output (that's what another lecturer said, I'm not so sure it isn't just placebo effect but all DAW's do use different bounce algorithms which do vary in their quality in different ways, albeit very slightly), I think that it is something lots of Pro Tools users have wanted for ages even if it is just to bounce a quick test mix to a CD to go and check translation on a Hi-Fi somewhere else or in the car. They can still bounce the final stereo mix in real time if they want.

On the other hand, cutting RTAS (and TDM?) support is going to prevent a lot of people from switching over - I'm aware they feel they have to at some point, but I think they should support both until the majority of the market is releasing in AAX format. I'm sure I read somewhere that Avid claim the RTAS architecture wouldn't support 64-Bit processing or something (someone correct me?) but VST and AU both seem to work fine (I'm running Logic Pro in 64-Bit now, on my new machine and none of my plug-ins [AU] failed validation or struggle to my knowledge) so I wonder how much of it is about Avid forcing users to change to their ideal way of working, so they don't have to cater for as many plug-in formats in the future.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
roaraudio

Yer totally. I have read a book, Mixing with your mind, and he discusses the advantages of having each channel output the same Voltage, because it makes your mix better (the dude is a crackhead, ha). So its pretty exciting that i can do that now (in theory, i can't afford pt 11 -just got pt10).
A lecturer of mine made a good point as to the offline bouncing.. That real time bouncing with imprint CPU fluctuations in the conversion process and if a bounce is done quickly that wouldn't occur.. Not sure if i'd agree but it'll be interesting to read peoples comments in the future.

Yer.. avids just trying to seem more classy with this new plug architecture haha. Although i think the larger Plug companies will probably (they bloody should) release a bunch of mods when pt11 finally hits.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I have 'Mixing With Your Mind', great book *now to read the rest of your post*

Edit: Not sure I get what you/he mean about real time bouncing - is he saying it is better in offline mode, or worse? Theoretically, real-time bouncing is less taxing on the CPU to my knowledge because it doesn't have to speed through the track way faster than it was tracked and simulate how all the plug-ins etc. would respond at normal speeds (e.g if you set a reverb pre-delay at 12ms, obviously it won't still be 12ms if you are bouncing at 4 times the speed your playback is). I am still barely awake, however, so may be having a dim moment

Music Stuff

Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
roaraudio

He was saying that it'd be less taxing on the CPU. but i don't agree. And for the reasons you mentioned... pre delay. And plugins aren't transparent and take actual time to process audioso yer... I feel like offline bouncing is bad. Real time accurate.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
So it's available as 64 bit, has RMS and Peak metering, and offline bouncing. Reaper's had all that for ages, sounds like they're playing a little bit of catch up.

What? I'd expect any decent DAW to have peak metering. Why do people even use Pro Tools?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
What? I'd expect any decent DAW to have peak metering. Why do people even use Pro Tools?

Because it has easily the best user interface for editing audio, of the major commercial DAW's, and while it may be lacking some of the typical features of other DAW's, it generally has fewer bugs and is more stable. It also has a lot of features that other DAW's don't but the average user wouldn't notice, which is important to a lot of the guys who work in the studio 8+ hours a day, five days a week. It also offers a lot of control with all the key commands on offer, should people bother to learn them.

Not a PT user myself, but don't dismiss it for a few things it doesn't do - a lot of the stuff it does do are done very well.

I know it sounds like fanboy-ism, but I'm a Logic Pro user and that's probably the biggest rival to PT in the pro-audio world (that or Cubase, which is less popular in the UK but quite popular in the US and continental Europe) - I'm used to Logic and I see myself mixing in Logic now for a long time, but if I could afford to spare the cash on pure luxury, I would buy PT and use that to track in and edit with, then export the WAV's to Logic and mix in there.

Music Stuff

Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
chatterbox272

Quote:

It had peak I believe, if my understanding is correct (hopefully it isn't) it's the RMS that's new. Because of habit, and for some people it fits their workflow best. But mostly habit.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
MatrixClaw
UG God

^^Well, you can have your offline bouncing and wait for that dumb thing to render for 5 min. I have better things to do with my time than sit there and wait for the project to render forever

I think its funny how 11 supposedly addresses people's concerns about upgrade prices, and while they've lowered the prices for HD, to upgrade from native is still ridiculous. I'm glad I bought the education version, because it hasn't even been a year since they released 10. If I had to pay for another upgrade so quickly, I'd be selling my license and telling Avid to shove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Yeah, pricing and Avid's business model has always put me off buying a PT license and doing as I said (tracking and editing in it). I would have hoped that by now, they would have realised that they are boxing themselves into an increasingly-bankrupt sector of the industry as many studios are struggling to find the work to stay in operation, even now, and that if they altered their model a little they could take a bigger chunk of the consumer and amateur market.

I mean, there has been progress (they got rid of a lot of the crippling for what was LE *does PT LE exist in the current versions?* and the need for Digidesign/Avid-approved interfaces) but they still lag behind the other competitors in terms of implementation of current-gen features.

If the people that use PT just to look 'professional' would stop buying into that model, I think there'd be enough criticism from their userbase that Avid would bring themselves more in line with the other DAW-developers out there; they just know that for now they can sit one step behind the competition, until each feature in the other DAW's has been well-received or dismissed, before adding it to their featureset.

Music Stuff

Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I realized Pro Tools wasn't worth the hype when I found out it didn't natively support VST plugins. That's some grade-A arrogance.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
I realized Pro Tools wasn't worth the hype when I found out it didn't natively support VST plugins. That's some grade-A arrogance.

I'm going to take some flack for saying this but so what? I know there are thousands of free VSTs out there but at the same time, Free doesn't always equate to better. From a beginners perspective, its great to look at all the shiny EQs, Compressors & such that you could try to your hearts desire. Though, what good is 600 free compressors when in all reality, you need in most situations the one or two basic ones that come with your DAW? I know everyone has their fancy modeled ones but I have huge doubts that a free VST SSL EQ is going to sound more like an SSL than my Waves SSL EQ.

Pro Tools is called Pro Tools for obvious reasons, its a Professional Tool for audio recording. They've used the RTAS format so that, in theory, it makes it easier for developers to code for PT and to have it run smooth on its system. With VST, since its an open platform, you've gotta code so that it works on multiple DAWs that will each have their own problems with it. If you want an easy thing to compare it to, think Mac Vs. PC instead of PT RTAS Vs. VST (Oh god, I'm gonna get flamed). You've got a closed development for something with more constants (This case, PT) versus an open platform that has a lot of different devices to run on (VST & multiple DAWs).

I could be completely off on this but then again, I paid $100 for my VST to RTAS adapter and even with the plugins I've wrapped & used, I don't use them as much as my RTAS plugins I've paid for since they're usually better quality than the free VSTs I've downloaded.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
roaraudio

^. Yerp. Seriously. Vsts are for hobbyists and people who make electronic music.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
dannycasevnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I'm going to take some flack for saying this but so what? I know there are thousands of free VSTs out there but at the same time, Free doesn't always equate to better. From a beginners perspective, its great to look at all the shiny EQs, Compressors & such that you could try to your hearts desire. Though, what good is 600 free compressors when in all reality, you need in most situations the one or two basic ones that come with your DAW? I know everyone has their fancy modeled ones but I have huge doubts that a free VST SSL EQ is going to sound more like an SSL than my Waves SSL EQ.

This.

Having plenty of different EQ's and comps is great but when you're doing this as more than a hobby it's helpful to have go-to tools that you can rely on. I'm not saying that free plug ins can't be good but you won't really find them in professional situations, which is where you are most likely to find Pro Tools in use.

Personally I prefer using PT because it has been in every studio I've recorded in and if a client is sending me something to mix from a studio 9/10 times I can guarantee that they can provide me with a PT session. It just makes everything easier and works when I most need it to.

Hobbyists and beginners like to turn their nose up and constantly compare it to Reaper but I haven't met a single Professional sound engineer who would choose it over PT. I may not be a professional but I do this as more than a hobby and I agree with them, in the world of real studios and proper sound engineering Pro Tools > Majority of other DAWs. Feel free to flame me on that but it's my opinion.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaraudio
^. Yerp. Seriously. Vsts are for hobbyists and people who make electronic music.

What lockwolf said was pretty reasonable. Lack of VST support doesn't make it bad because really, if you're using ProTools chances are that you're in a position to buy RTAS/AAX plugs anyway... or have them bought for you by the studio you work for.

What you said is perhaps the most ignorant thing I've heard on the board in weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannycasevnx

Hobbyists and beginners like to turn their nose up and constantly compare it to Reaper but I haven't met a single Professional sound engineer who would choose it over PT. I may not be a professional but I do this as more than a hobby and I agree with them, in the world of real studios and proper sound engineering Pro Tools > Majority of other DAWs. Feel free to flame me on that but it's my opinion.

It's only because so many big studios have huge pro-tools rigs that they can't replace it and that it's become industry standard... meaning that if you wan't to work in a large studio you pretty much HAVE to use it because that's what they use.

Doesn't mean something produced in REAPER is any less professional than something made in REAPER.

It's opinion. Use Protools. Use Acid. Use Reaper. Whatever. It doesn't matter as long as it sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 04-09-2013 at 06:25 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I guess I see where you're coming from now. Part of it, though, is that I do make a fair amount of electronic music. In electronic, it's not just a matter of the usual reverb/comp/EQ/delay types of plugins; if you see something somewhere that catches your fancy, you try it out. Most of these plugins are distributed as VSTs. And charging extra for VST support over your native plugin format? If that isn't arrogance, what is it?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

It's forcing market share... like Apple do with tonnes of their stuff. Make sure you HAVE to use their shit with their shit. Meaning that if you wanna use PT you gotta make sure all your shit is PT compatible (which will probably mean it's not compatible with anything else.)

It's a loathsome business practice if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: