Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Checking at setting neck relief (Truss Rod! :D)

So I recently purchased a Les Paul used at GC. I took it into a mom and pop shop to set it up and look it over. They said it looked almost new (2003 premium plus studio). I have not had any trouble with them in the past, but after heading back up to school I noticed a lot of fret buzz.

I checked the action and it seemed to be quite low, so I adjusted that to 5/64 and 3/64. Helped a lil. I then when to check the bow on the neck. Usually I have no issue doing this on my stratocaster and my acoustic, but I'm really having trouble eye balling this one. When I do the first fret and 12th fret or last fret test, I never see any gap under the 7th fret either.

Is my neck most likely bent backwards, chest out towards the strings, or possibly dead flat? Are there any other goods tests? I'm worried the neck might be warped as well.

I'm kind of shocked this is all occurring so shortly after a setup. I would think I could see some relief. I'm just a lil hesitant to touch the truss rod.
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Adjusting the truss rod will not do any harm if you know what you are doing.

The best way to check the relief without needing any tools, is to fret the 1st and 16th fret on the low E and look at the gap between the string and the 7th fret. The distance should be about half the thickness of a credit card, or about 0.5mm.

You can check to see if your neck is twisted by doing the same thing on the high E string. If the gap is different, it indicates that your neck could be twisted.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Adjusting the truss rod will not do any harm if you know what you are doing.

The best way to check the relief without needing any tools, is to fret the 1st and 16th fret on the low E and look at the gap between the string and the 7th fret. The distance should be about half the thickness of a credit card, or about 0.5mm.

You can check to see if your neck is twisted by doing the same thing on the high E string. If the gap is different, it indicates that your neck could be twisted.

Yah I did the test with 7th fret on both sides and I have not really been able to see a gap. I've only messed with the truss rod personally, a couple times on my stratocaster.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

That could well be the reason for your buzzing, or at least on the lower frets. Loosen the truss rod 1/4 of a turn and see if that makes any difference.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

neck relief should be anywhere from .008-.012 thousands of an inch around the 8th fret. Measure it with a feeler gauge.

If the neck is bent backward to the point where the truss rod won't do anything, you can take all the tension off the truss rod and then clamp the neck onto a workbench for a few days to bend the truss rod straight. That should solve the problem once you add some tension to it. Keep in mind though, this is a worst-case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

So I loosened the truss rod probably an 8th of a turn today. I'm pretty sure I have a little relief when I look down the neck, but I still don't get any gap on the 7th fret when I do that test. I might play with it again tomorrow after the 24 hour waiting period.

Is the 7th fret test not foolproof? Is it possible I won't have any gap, despite having relief (to my best knowledge. There may be none. For some reason I'm having trouble during the eye test compared to my other guitars).

Rate This Thread: