Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #41
Bhaok
The evil old man

You are asking on this forum where to put money for an investment?? I suggest a CD or IRA. Do some actual research into the market. Then decide if you have the stomach to lose money before spending the cash.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Take 10k, burn it. Then take 5k and buy the nicest custom guitar you can find that meets every tic box you can think of. Now, you're out 15k, so you know what its like to invest and you have a really nice instrument for years to come.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #43
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighspeedNazi
You'd be better off putting those Federal Reserve Notes in physically held gold. America is the modern day Wiemar Republic. The so-called 'dollar' (not really though) is devalued on a daily basis. The parasites are sucking the last of the wealth from America. When the SHTF and the economy finally collapses that gold with be worth more than wheelbarrows full of FRNs. You might even be able to buy a large ranch in a safe part of the country with that $10,000 in gold at some point in the future.

Or you might consider 'junk silver.' Research it if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Regardless, always hold precious metals. Never ever let it be held in trust by some third party.

I sold gold, silver, junk bags and numismatics for a few years and used this same argument.

20 years ago.

Trouble is, it was nonsense then and it's nonsense now. If the economy collapses so far as to entirely devalue our currency, precious metals will only have value if you can get to a country that still has a working economy. A pound of gold won't buy a loaf of bread from a starving man if he can't get more bread somewhere...

Who is going to sell or be able to transfer that 'large ranch' in an economic collapse?

Metals are a good economic hedge in case of downturn but they are useless in an economic meltdown. Value requires a market.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #44
gregs1020
Hi mom!

edited and messed up original message. oops.

Last edited by gregs1020 : 04-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
ne14t

Not to burst your bubble OP but it sounds like you want a guitar that is currently a vintage collectible, and you wont find them for the price range you are aiming for, I mean they do exist but odds are they are not guitars you will want and it will still be 20-30 years before you could make a serious return on it. I follow the vintage guitar scene horribly, I call myself a collector but I do not collect for monetary gain I collect simply because I love guitars.

http://www.frettedamericana.com/
http://www.normansrareguitars.com/
http://www.vintageguitars.net/

Those are some good sites to start getting and idea of what you might be paying for your dream collection, pucker the ol' brown eye though some of the prices are stratospheric!
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
ne14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

Bloody damn good choice, they have my actual dream guitar, quite similar to yours but has one more pickup! Would totally set it up like Jimmy's old Black Beauty. Now excuse me while I clean out my underwear!

http://www.frettedamericana.com/pro...bson-les-paul-1
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #48
HighspeedNazi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I sold gold, silver, junk bags and numismatics for a few years and used this same argument. 20 years ago. Trouble is, it was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.
Just a few short years ago when silver was $13 an ounce (~2006-2007) and I had some really good contracts I was working, I put a fair amount of Federal Reserve Notes (commonly mistaken for U.S. Dollars) into junk silver.

Then within four short years silver was at almost $50 an ounce. (~Early 2011) I nearly quadrupled my investment and it was 'junk silver.' (Well I did have a few Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs.) I sold it all and did quite well. Your mileage clearly varies from mine.

I'll rely on my nonsense since it's my wealth I'm dealing with and not yours. Some people know what to do with precious metals and some don't. It appears you fall into that latter category.

Now if you had been patient enough to sit on that silver until it hit that $50 an ounce mark you too would have done well. Precious metals are for long term thinkers.

Last edited by HighspeedNazi : 04-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.
HighspeedNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #49
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #50
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Just a few short years ago when silver was $13 an ounce (~2006-2007) and I had some really good contracts I was working, I put a fair amount of Federal Reserve Notes (commonly mistaken for U.S. Dollars) into junk silver.

Then within four short years silver was at almost $50 an ounce. (~Early 2011) I nearly quadrupled my investment and it was 'junk silver.' (Well I did have a few Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs.) I sold it all and did quite well. Your mileage clearly varies from mine.

I'll rely on my nonsense since it's my wealth I'm dealing with and not yours. Some people know what to do with precious metals and some don't. It appears you fall into that latter category.

Now if you had been patient enough to sit on that silver until it hit that $50 an ounce mark you too would have done well. Precious metals are for long term thinkers.

Yes, but: right now, gold is floating a serious bubble, worse than it was back in the 1980s when it peaked at @$800. About 4 years later, it was back down to $200.

Right now, panicked/idiotic speculators have driven its price above that of platinum, which is ridiculous.

While I know the metals market well, I own a lot more precious & semiprecious stones.

In 1967, the diamond cartel- a.k.a. DeBeers- started pushing the idea of the investment grade diamond: a 1ct flawless, blue-white/colorless round brilliant. Then, it cost $1000. By 1998, that stone was worth @$16,000.

However, had you bought a (literal) ton of the semiprecious stone blue chalcedony in 1967- for that same $1000- your investment would have been worth more than $1.2M.

The difference? Non-industrial, gem grade diamonds, like gold, have a pretty consistent market. Barring irrational speculation causing a rush on them- as has happened with gold- their price increase over time is pretty predictable. Blue chalcedony, on the other hand, like many other semi-precious stones- are affordable to a MUCH bigger market, and as the lower, middle and even upper class began to spend more on buying jewelry, that market EXPLODED, and with it, the demand for those materials.

Back on point...

The difference between precious metals and collectibles is that the precious metals market is less driven by irrational speculation and desire, and more by the uses to which they are put in the modern industrialized global economy. Simply put, silver's value is more intrinsic than is the market for any collectible.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
HighspeedNazi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
In 1967, the diamond cartel- a.k.a. DeBeers- started pushing the idea of the investment grade diamond: a 1ct flawless, blue-white/colorless round brilliant. Then, it cost $1000. By 1998, that stone was worth @$16,000.
Diamonds are a scam in my opinion for the very reason that DeBeers (A Jewish organization by the way) has brainwashed most women (the men have to tag along for the ride though) into thinking that diamonds are something special. It's all marketing, smoke, and mirrors. If people actually were able to think critically and did some research on diamonds that market would crash.

Same goes for Federal Reserve Notes and fractional reserve banking. If people knew it was just shell game that usurious system would fail as it rightly should.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
ne14t

Quote:
Diamonds are a scam in my opinion for the very reason that DeBeers (A Jewish organization by the way) has brainwashed most women (the men have to tag along for the ride though) into thinking that diamonds are something special. It's all marketing, smoke, and mirrors. If people actually were able to think critically and did some research on diamonds that market would crash.

Same goes for Federal Reserve Notes and fractional reserve banking. If people knew it was just shell game that usurious system would fail as it rightly should.

Diamonds are so over-rated, made from the cheapest most abundant material on the planet, but formed under pressure so they become heinously over priced, just buy cubic zirconia she will never know otherwise, unless she goes to have it appraised which means odds are she ditched you and is pawning the ring but low and behold you have the last laugh because that shit is WORTHLESS!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #53
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:

Then within four short years silver was at almost $50 an ounce. (~Early 2011) I nearly quadrupled my investment and it was 'junk silver.' (Well I did have a few Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs.) I sold it all and did quite well.

so you cashed out?

why would you do that when you were making such good money?

you know, fort knox is empty.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #54
dannyalcatraz

While I agree that gem-grade diamonds are overvalued- see what happened when the Russians needed wheat back in the 1990s- the same can be said of anything "collectible" or with a value based largely on aesthetics.

However, you said this:

Quote:
DeBeers (A Jewish organization by the way)

WTF?

Are you trying to live up to your forum name?

The religion and ethnicity of the company's founders or current owners has nothing to do with jack-all relevant to the discussion.

You have rendered your opinions irrelevant to me.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #55
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

I think you have a comprehension problem? Nothing in your reply was pertinent to what you posted initially, nor to my response. In point of fact your reply SUPPORTED my response... FFS

I bought Gold @350, Platinum @360 and Silver @6 and did very well on it, thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm competent in the market...
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #56
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
WTF?

Are you trying to live up to your forum name?

The religion and ethnicity of the company's founders or current owners has nothing to do with jack-all relevant to the discussion.

You have rendered your opinions irrelevant to me.

Just thought the same thing to myself. Just another bigot then?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #57
dannyalcatraz

That's my takeaway.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #58
dannyalcatraz

Back on point:

Another investment option in electrics is chasing after guitars made by known builders of high regard, just like in the acoustic market.

Unlike the acoustic market, those builders tend not to have a stable career. They'll work in this company or that, and some even found their own companies. Some do so more than once.

Right now, a few I could name as examples would be Dean B. Zelinsky, Gary Kramer, and Grover Jackson. All have reputations as builders of high-quality player's guitars, and have bounced around the industry a bit. Each has founded companies and been bought out...and all currently have new companies making guitars built to their personal high standards.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #59
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:

Wow, someone Jewish owns something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #60
HighspeedNazi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
so you cashed out?
why would you do that when you were making such good money?
Buy low, sell high.

Rate This Thread: