Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
crice6505
Cody

"Chewing Your Words?"

A friend of mine is in our choir and has become a particularly talented choral singer all of a sudden.

He is a bit of a barbershop quartet geek.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very cool musical style, but what the hell are they doing over at the barbershop?

He got noticed from a collegiate instructor at a school choral performance lately. He was called out for outstanding vocal performance along with some other girl who has had YEARS AND YEARS of classical training. This girl has dumped shit loads of money into her education and all of a sudden my friends googles barbershop techniques and he's pulling ahead?

I asked him what he was doing and he said he was "Chewing his words."

I am utterly clueless as to what this means. He attempted to describe it to me several times, but I couldn't understand what he meant. Does anyone here know? would it benefit any musician singing folk, bluegrass, blues, or even contemporary things like pop?

I also noticed he has developed a beautiful vibrato lately. How does one go about improving their vibrato?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
crice6505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Doveri

chewing words, probably is a exercise that helps find the pharyngeal voice. It's not a replacement for training, it's simply his trick for find that voice.

And for vibrato, also, related to the pharyngeal voice. With a developed pharyngeal voice, you're vocal strain will be minimal and similar to the effort in head voice, which is a good area to expand vibrato.

Also, most singers are talented singers, so it's not exactly a 'fair' environment.

Last edited by Doveri : 04-11-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: