Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
fplinski

Which amp could do the job? Help a newbie!

Hi,

My name is Fede and Iím new in the forum. Iíve been reading a lot here and since I encountered a problem with a recent investigation, I decided to sign up and ask about what Iíd do.

First a little background: I must say that Iím not really a guitarist, but a drummer. The drumset is my instrument of choice and Iíve been playing, gigging and working with it for 15 years. Iíve always wanted to learn how to play another instrument not related to percussion, and I started playing guitar last March, totally shocked about the great PC game ďRocksmithĒ. I tried it with my brothers Fender Stratocaster and I loved it, so I saved up some money and bought my very first guitar: A 2009 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in honey burst.

I started playing the game and having lots of fun, I like how it makes me practice chords, and using all my fingers across all the strings and all the fretboard, is really fun compared standard speed and independence developing exercises.
The thing is that, besides playing guitar a couple of hours with the game, Iíd like to play outside it, I mean, with an amp in my practice room, try different sounds, practice my favouritesí bands songs, and else. So, Iíll be in the market soon for a guitar amp.

What I must specify, is that Iím looking for an amp capable of using for playing alone at home at low volumes (I live in an apartment), and in the future, use it in a rehearsal room with my band, so it must be able to be used at low volumes, and along a full size, acoustic, unmuted drumset. What it will not be used for is gigging, so that isnít a problem.

I like distortion rock to exteme metal music, so jazz, blues, ďfender cleansĒ are not a problem because I donít care a lot about them, but I do want the distortion/overdrive to be up to the challenge when Iíll learn to play some Machine Head, Lamb of God, Trivium stuff. Iíd like to go from 80ís Metallica to modern heavy metal without major sound problem.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Iíd like to buy a combo. I donít have the adequate room for a head/cabinet amp, and I live in Argentina and everything here costs a fortune (for example, I know my Les Paul costs 600/700 in the US, and Iíd paid for it here 4,7k in any store).

Last point to have in mind, just as any metalhead would do, Iíll possibly put the EMG 81/85 active combo, whether in the 9V or 18V mod.
My budget is about 300-500 in the US amp price range, and Iíve been reading some reviews. Iíve found some amps that could be for me, but since I know about drum gear Iím open to other possibilities:

laney LV300 twin solid state
fender mustang III
fender frontman 212
masrhall MG100dfx
peavey vypyr 60 solid state/valve hybrid
peavey valve king 112 valve

There may be more than those, but they are what Iíve found so far, and as Iíve said before, Iím open to suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.
fplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
fplinski

Update: I've just found the Peavey Bandit 112 transtube series, at half the price of the others. I think this will be my first amp, but I still appreciate any input you could add.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

First off, Welcome to GG&A

Second, the Bandit is a decent amp.

Third, we prefer this format (you'll get a lot more hits)
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Forth, I've owned a Frontman, a Valveking and a Vypyr 60 and the Vypyr 60 kicks just about everything else in the ass at the same price point. That is the amp I recommend.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
EncoreBlade

Yea, the Vypyr Tube 60 is a pretty good choice since it's a tube powered amp/pre-amp modeler. If you've been reading this forum then you know tubes are the way to go. For what you want from the amp, it's most likely the best choice. It can get loud (perfect for jamming), has a headphone output (which is rare for a tube amp), it's got an mp3/aux in (which is useful if you want to jam out to a song. Just plug in your music device/phone/computer into the jack and you can play along to the song from your amp), and within your price range.

It's not a one trick pony, and it's not a master at anything, but it is a great jack-of-all-trades. Since you're just starting out, this amp will give you a lot of tweaking and great playing/tone options for you to hone in on so you shouldn't lose interest in playing like some people who unknowingly buy less-than-stellar gear. It's perfect for what you need.

Another amp, just for the sake of diversity, that I would take a look at would be the Blackstar HT-5R or Blackstar HT 20. The latter may be stretching it a little, but they both sound great. I have had personal experience with these amps and I really like them.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater

Last edited by EncoreBlade : 04-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.
EncoreBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
fplinski

First of all, thanks a lot for your input!

I've completed the questionaire, here it goes:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?
USD 500 price range. Less is better since Argentinian economics.

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?
I want to play metal. I need overdrive/high gain to sound decent and up. Favourite guitarists: Willie Adler, Matt Heafy, Robb Flynn.. I love how John Petrucci, Steve Vai and the rest of the guitar "gods" play", but since I'm really a drummer I care more about rhythm guitar than lead/solo, etc.

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.
Both work for me.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.
Home, rehearsal room, and maybe a little gig in the not-so-near future.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)
Argentina..

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard stock. I want to put the 81/85 active combo.

I'll be checking out your suggestions. The best option so far is the Peavey Bandit 112 transtube. I know a full tube amp would be the best, but this one is 2.5k used and 3.5k new, and the Vypyr 60 /Mustang mk3 are between 5-6k. I think for a beginner who knows nothing about "what sound wants to achieve" and just want to play and practise outside Rocksmith, it's more than good. Sure, the others are nice, but double the price.

Anyways, thanks a lot!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I have the Peavey Bandit, and it'd probably be great for you! It isn't the best in the budget you have but it won't disappoint you for a year or two until you can upgrade, if you really do want to pursue guitar more.

I've managed to gig with it unmiked, so it can get loud enough to play over a drummer, though it isn't designed to be loud, and shouldn't disappoint at low low volumes either.

If you can find it used, get it used, as long as it's in good condition. Just so you could get your money's worth back if you want to upgrade in the future.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
fplinski

Hey Lavatain!

Thanks a lot for your input, that's exactly what I'm thinking would be the best: get a used Bandit in the best condition I can, practise-practise-practise, and maybe in a couple of years get a tube combo, or if I have the money, a used head+cabinet, etc.

Nowadays I just need an amp to practise by myself at low volumes, and something that I may use in my own rehearsal room with my brother as I play my drumset.

I have lots of things to take care regarding money right now, so to buy something "that works" and trading it in the future for something better could be the best to do.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

the vypyr tube will serve you for much longer than the bandit, because it has so much move versatility.
what would you rather do? buy something for cheaper and then have to buy the costlier version later, or buy the costlier version in the first place?
Your choice

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I am going to have to disagree with the Bandit.

It was an alright amp when it first rolled around however many years ago, but it is just not up to stuff compared to other amps now, particularly the Vypyr Tube 60. The Vypyr is superior in every way.

TS, I understand wanting to save money. I also understand about getting the most bang for your buck. If you can afford the Vypyr, get the Vypyr. The Bandit just pales in comparison on all fronts, and while you may be a beginner, you won't always be, and it will be nice to have an amp that leaves you "growing room," if that makes sense, something that you won't get tired with once you have progressed a little further along with your playing.

Ultimately it's your money, but I think that the Vypyr will keep satisfied longer, perhaps saving you money down the road for what would have been an upgrade.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I am going to have to disagree with the Bandit.

It was an alright amp when it first rolled around however many years ago, but it is just not up to stuff compared to other amps now, particularly the Vypyr Tube 60. The Vypyr is superior in every way.

TS, I understand wanting to save money. I also understand about getting the most bang for your buck. If you can afford the Vypyr, get the Vypyr. The Bandit just pales in comparison on all fronts, and while you may be a beginner, you won't always be, and it will be nice to have an amp that leaves you "growing room," if that makes sense, something that you won't get tired with once you have progressed a little further along with your playing.

Ultimately it's your money, but I think that the Vypyr will keep satisfied longer, perhaps saving you money down the road for what would have been an upgrade.

+100000

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
fplinski

Hmm, I'm seriously considering this guys.. It's an interesting point of view. I know I want to save money because of lots of stuff to take care (buying the amp is located under "things I want to buy for fun"), but for the money I think th Vypyr is really good too, at least according to what almost everyone says.

I have to think about it, because buying the Bandit could be next month, but If I go to the 5k price range, I'll have to wait longer to save the amount I need. No credit card discount or no-interest payment terms, so it has to be all cash at the moment of the purchase.

Anyways, an interesting point of view. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I'd save up. I have a Splawn Quick Rod amp which costs about 4x-5x times what the Vypyr 60 costs. Guess which one I play more?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
ragingkitty
meow?

Save up and get an amp that'll meet your needs. As a personal experience, I got a Mesa MkV, and it does everything I want it to... it's versatile enough that I've not thought about getting another amp.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
fplinski

Thanks a lot guys! I'm giving it some thought since I still have to wait until my next paycheck comes home, so I have some time.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
fplinski

Guys,

Doing a little research I've found the litlle Vox VT40+, at a better price than the rest of the amps. I think buying it and an OD pedal in a near future could be the ideal combo. What do you think about it?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
ragingkitty
meow?

I'd try it first. The VT range handles low to moderate gain better than it does high gain.

On the other hand I tried a VT out of boredom last week again and I find its Marshally sounds not too bad... it won't handle sludge or doom or death metal well... But with some tweaking and fiddling... You could get some decent thrash sounds. Maybe not awesom... but definitely useable.

That said, for metal, Vypyr is still the go to modeller.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
fplinski

Alright! But I kinda NEED the Sanpera, or is it just marketing influence? I don't intend on changing presets, etc., just want to set some Mesa-like sound to play whatever song from Machine Head/Lamb of God/Trivium/Killswitch Engage I've learned. That's the sound I'm after, not the death-grind-doom-blah blah blah super down tuning.

I think I can get the Vypyr 30w por a good price (the 60w hybrid went to the roof so it's not an option anymore). I'll try to test it!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
ikey_

i would recommend a blackstar, jet city, or vyper tube. these amps are all tube or mostly tube sounding, decent quality, and can all be voiced for higher gain. you could even be pushing into the area of a higher gain full size bugera head.

i personally would be looking really hard at a jet city as a good starting place.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 04-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
fplinski

I understand, I'd love to buy a Blackstar HT-5R, or even better, the head+cabinet, but they are awfully expensive. Same with the jet city, 6k and up and heads available only. A shame.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
EncoreBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplinski
My budget is about 300-500 in the US amp price range, and Iíve been reading some reviews. Iíve found some amps that could be for me, but since I know about drum gear Iím open to other possibilities:

Ok, I just checked GC Online and saw this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-...893-i1413609.gc so I don't see the problem.

Maybe you could elaborate on where or how you plan on purchasing your amp? And if you could give us a link to wherever you're looking at for amps?

PS I think the Vypyr Tube 60 is making its way out of production since I can't seem to find it on a regular search through GC or MF. But, Peavey did come out with the new VIP series that may be something to look at.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
EncoreBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: