Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Brendan S312

Question Tendon issues

I've noticed for a while now that sometimes when i play, when doing legato or sometimes just when playing; there's a slight tugging feeling occasionally in the tendons of my fretting hand. there's no pain, only slight discomfort which i don't like when i play, i find that sometimes it wont happen for a while, maybe a week or so, then it will come back, in the palm of my hand there's just this tugging that happens, it happens with all the finger by the way. this should be in the right section, i guess it would come down to my technique, i was just wondering if anyone else had this, or if there's something i can do before it becomes a problem, thanks a lot!

Last edited by Brendan S312 : 04-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Brendan S312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
bondmorkret

I had severe tendonitis a few years back and was referred to a physio by my doc who gave me lots of stretches to do, and it sorted the issues completely. If in doubt, ask your local doc!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It's very difficult to say what may be wrong about your technique without seeing you play but I would definitely say watch Freepower's videos on posture, that's what's likely to be the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Freepow...s?query=posture

Specifically the "short lesson on posture" and the "left hand posture" videos.

Also, if you are ever in doubt about the health of your hands then definitely go see a qualified health professional and for the love of God don't listen to what people on the internet say about it. We aren't doctors and anyone who claims to know what to do about your health without actually seeing and examining you in person is an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Brendan S312

Thank you both for your great advice, especially the 'people on the internet' point. Bondmorkret, you said you had severe tendonitis a few years ago, has it healed up completely? (any issues since?) I'm going to look at my posture and look at the stretches i do, see if i could improve on them, but my main point is would there be any way these sort of injuries could clear up completely? Thanks

Last edited by Brendan S312 : 04-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Brendan S312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan S312
I've noticed for a while now that sometimes when i play, when doing legato or sometimes just when playing; there's a slight tugging feeling occasionally in the tendons of my fretting hand. there's no pain, only slight discomfort which i don't like when i play, i find that sometimes it wont happen for a while, maybe a week or so, then it will come back, in the palm of my hand there's just this tugging that happens, it happens with all the finger by the way. this should be in the right section, i guess it would come down to my technique, i was just wondering if anyone else had this, or if there's something i can do before it becomes a problem, thanks a lot!

last year I developed pain and tendon popping, which was almost audible along with a sickening Jarring feeling. Started out very similar to what you described.

I might risk being referered to as an "idiot" (not sure who ol'mate is referring to there, I guess experience counts for nothing...?) if I tell you how I got it right, so I will say nothing.

Good Luck and be sure to do something about it sooner rather than later.

Last edited by wiggedy : 04-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Bigbazz

I was sent to go see an Osteopath a few years back, he dug his hands into my tendons, muscles, neck/shoulders and essencially gave it all what seemed like a rather painful stretch/massage, by stretch tho I mean he dug his hands deep into my wrists and pulled on the tendons, it was quite painful. Went to him for a few months and it made an absolute massive difference, wasn't cheap tho but it was worth it.

I was suffering with RSI, partly as a result of overplaying guitar and playing through pain, and partly from too much use of the computer for university work/gaming.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: