Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
koslack

CDs for MP3s

Where do you guys fall on this debate? My band is talking about hitting the studio to do a 3 song EP, and we're discussing whether to print a run of CDs, but we're wondering if it's even worth it, considering all the music hosting websites out there.

Part of me thinks there's still something intangible about having a physical object that people can hold, which will make our band more memorable. On the other hand, the way people consume music has changed drastically - a free download could be just as effective.
What do you guys think?
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Vulgar Rocker

Well I think you should use both. I like to hold a CD in my hand but other people like to download it on their phone.

Sell your CDs at your Gigs and offer a free download song on your website.
Vulgar Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

How many CDs do you think you can sell?

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
supersac

do both
free downloads
sell cds at show or give them out to fans(draw on themor soemthing to make them uniue)
profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Definitely both, but if you have to go one way or the other go with a CD.

There are loads of people who don't like downloads, and the people who do like them can just rip the files from the CD (probably at a higher quality than some download sites)
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
purplecashew

it depends on your genre, in my opinion. if you're a super-indie-fuzz-folk band, your fans would be more willing to get a CD than if you played most forms of metal.
purplecashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Yeah coz nobody buys metal on a CD anymore am I right? Only old peoples music and hairy girl music is on CD yeah!

What trash. I personally prefer CDs because I can play them in my car, which is where I do the vast majority of my music listening.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

you have to have some hard copies of your music. Though I think it's not the main way for musicians to make the bulk of their money anymore. But having some to do package deals, with shirts and other merch is a good way to still sell some.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
koslack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ Yeah coz nobody buys metal on a CD anymore am I right? Only old peoples music and hairy girl music is on CD yeah!

What trash. I personally prefer CDs because I can play them in my car, which is where I do the vast majority of my music listening.

When I'm in a car, I hook up my iPod via bluetooth, as do most people I know.

I'm agreeing with what a lot of people are saying about enjoying having a physical copy, but you also have to look at the financial side. Putting some songs online costs nothing. Getting a pressing of CDs can cost a few hundred bucks. Since we're not really gunning for a record deal here - we take the band seriously, but it ain't exactly my number one career priority - cost needs to be taken into account, too.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

From my experience people at gigs will have no problem for throwing a few dollars for a CD versus actually following through and going nonlinear to download. My band does both and has a pay what you want option online. Some people pay some don't but we sell more CDs at show than downloads.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by koslack
When I'm in a car, I hook up my iPod via bluetooth, as do most people I know.

Well Mr Fancypants my car doesn't have bluetooth compatibility, as do most people I know. Perhaps we mix in different social circles.

If I opt to listen through my phone, I have to use one of those FM reciever things and the sound quality is nowhere near having a CD.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I would have an issue buying an unsigned band's download. One of my favourite bands had a download only single, and I didn't want to buy that, which should tell you a lot! As a musician, I'd never call a release complete unless it has CD pressings, because that's what people will want. Besides, if you play a great concert, people will want to buy your CD, if I saw a brilliant band live, and they said 'Download our music on Itunes!', chances are, I wouldn't, in fact, I'd probably forget about them very quickly.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
koslack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Well Mr Fancypants my car doesn't have bluetooth compatibility, as do most people I know. Perhaps we mix in different social circles.

If I opt to listen through my phone, I have to use one of those FM reciever things and the sound quality is nowhere near having a CD.

Well, there you go. I think you'd have to agree that CDs are becoming obsolete. Most cars - the place where statistically, people consume most of their music - come standard with a bluetooth connection now, or at the very least an aux in you can hook an iPod up to. From my view, why spend money on a medium that becomes less relevant literally with every passing day? In a few years, it will literally like doing a pressing run of 8 tracks.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ No doubt. In the end its all about cash, but the issue is actually getting people on to itunes to pay/download away from the impulse buy of the gig..

Perhaps to rectify this problem you can charge $1 a song code and give it to them on a card or something at he gig. That way you get the cash even if they don't download it. Sorry if this method doesn't work with iTunes, but basically you don't want to drop the impulse buy advantage.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #15
flexiblemile

Print the cheapest possible cds you can. like bureau en gros blank cds that you buy in bulk with your band name written in a sharpie but give out millions of them. Like hand them out in the metro, leave them in piles in restaurants, give 'em to hobos on st-catherine etc.

If you put your website/email on the cd, it'll come back to you in publicity. Imagine how many blank cds you can get for 250$? Take a couple of hours to burn them then sow them to the winds
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
danresn

I would also print some CDs. Chances are they will forget your name and only look for it if they really loved your set. By printing a CD it might allow for them to at least hold onto your CD just so they are reminded of your name, even if its only a single and then they have the name to go look up for the rest of the EP.
danresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I guess I'm weird in that if I go to a show and like the band, I'll whip out my phone and buy their music on the spot.

Personally I'd agree with the small Spanish child and do both. No sense in alienating either source of income.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Definitely do both. Offer downloads, and have CD's available, especially at gigs. I know I myself am more likely to buy music for a band I'm seeing if it's there in CD form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Why not burn an audio/data cd? Have the songs on it in standard format and in MP3's. I dont know why more bands don't do this.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkyporky
Why not burn an audio/data cd? Have the songs on it in standard format and in MP3's. I dont know why more bands don't do this.

Because you can rip the standard files from a CD at a higher quality than most MP3s?
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: