Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Just buy this pedal. It will get you partially there. The AC series really sounds like an AC type amp, and will color the shit out of the sound.

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA

This is your cheapest option, aside from finding an old Randal SS amp. RG series.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
P_Trik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfyt
hey guys

ok first off i know i don't have the best amp or pedal for this but i am just in a phase of playing some pantera stuff and really want to get that killer tone happening.

i have a vox ac15 and a bad monkey,

Hey bigfyt! I have a Lado Guitar with the same Bill Lawrence Humbucker that Dime had in his Dean. I'm sure you can find interviews with him where he talks about this pickup and how much he felt his sound came from it. From my own experience with this pickup, I have yet to get the same sound out of another guitar that I get using the Lado with the Bill Lawrence.

I'm sure there's more magic down the signal chain and every component is important, but google Dime and Bill Lawrence, see if you can see what he said about it.
P_Trik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Trik
Hey bigfyt! I have a Lado Guitar with the same Bill Lawrence Humbucker that Dime had in his Dean. I'm sure you can find interviews with him where he talks about this pickup and how much he felt his sound came from it. From my own experience with this pickup, I have yet to get the same sound out of another guitar that I get using the Lado with the Bill Lawrence.

I'm sure there's more magic down the signal chain and every component is important, but google Dime and Bill Lawrence, see if you can see what he said about it.

I think Dime had the Bill Lawrence pup wrong way around too for more low-end. The Duncan Dimebucker is a cheap imitation of it, but its close enough according to some who have compared them.

Buuut I doubt TS is willing to go that far that he would change his pickups just to get Dime sound. I'd rather change the amp first, Randall Warhead or RG100ES (or Dime D100 or Randall RG1503) and add the pup last as finishing touch. IF I'd ever start a Pantera cover band that is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

You can find old Randall amps for <$100 a lot of the time, just keep that in mind, TS. There is a Randall RG80ES combo right now on my Craigslist for around that, Dime tone for days.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
ne14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
You can find old Randall amps for <$100 a lot of the time, just keep that in mind, TS. There is a Randall RG80ES combo right now on my Craigslist for around that, Dime tone for days.

Find an old used Randall solid state amp, thats what he used up until Damageplan I believe. Or grab an MXR 10 way EQ pedal and some sort of heavy metal ultra gain pedal (if you dont have one already) and I am sure you could get that Vox close, not perfect but close. Heck I think MXR even has a Dime distortion pedal that is made to mimic the tone, check into that as well. MXR Fullbore Metal does a good impression of the heavily scooped metal sound, also worth checking out, I know from first hand on that one.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Next: Fender Surf Green Stratocaster
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
The Neighbor of the Beast

Ducktape a few kittens together an use them as picks.
Dime didn't have tone.. he had skillz.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Find an old used Randall solid state amp, thats what he used up until Damageplan I believe. Or grab an MXR 10 way EQ pedal and some sort of heavy metal ultra gain pedal (if you dont have one already) and I am sure you could get that Vox close, not perfect but close. Heck I think MXR even has a Dime distortion pedal that is made to mimic the tone, check into that as well. MXR Fullbore Metal does a good impression of the heavily scooped metal sound, also worth checking out, I know from first hand on that one.

I think that buying an old Randall amp would be cheaper or near as cheap as any one decent or even sub-par distortion pedal, particularly the MXR Fullbore or Dime distortion.

TS, I don't think you realize how cheap you can find old Randalls. I got a RH200 (would also be good for you) for $150 from a shop, and that is average price, I have seen them and the RH100 models lower.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #28
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Trik

I have a "Maximum Guitar" magazine I got back in '97 With a big Pantera spread on their songs and Dimebag's tone.

Dimebag quoted "The bridge position Lawrence (L500XL) pickup is really the key to my sound. On the treble strings, it's a bitch-it almost sounds like you're running a crybaby wah with the pedal pushed down. And it's really thick and chunky on the bass strings."

Also from the article: Cowboys From Hell was recorded with Randall RG-100s, as was The Great Southern Trendkill. For all years in between, he relied on Randall Century 200s for his brutal attack.

Favorite effects he used: Digitech Whammy, MXR Flanger, EHX Small Stone, EHX Big Muff, EHX Electric Mistress flange.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is all info from Dime himself

Last edited by Way Cool JR. : 04-12-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Way Cool JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
cfhdomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I think that buying an old Randall amp would be cheaper or near as cheap as any one decent or even sub-par distortion pedal, particularly the MXR Fullbore or Dime distortion.

TS, I don't think you realize how cheap you can find old Randalls. I got a RH200 (would also be good for you) for $150 from a shop, and that is average price, I have seen them and the RH100 models lower.

Listen to this man. I got a Randall RG100 for 180 bucks and I run it through a Randall RX412 cab. In total, it was about 300 bucks for the complete setup. I ran my guitar straight through the amp, no pedals or anything to boost the signal, and I was able to nail the Dime tone right off the bat. I freaking love that old amp! I play mostly Down/Crowbar type stuff and it's perfect for that type of music.

Last edited by cfhdomination : 04-12-2013 at 06:22 PM.
cfhdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #30
bigfyt
guitar?

so a used randall rg100 is going to work out same price as buying pedals and is going to get me the high gain mid control.

i know dimebag had killer skills,
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yeah, if you want to do it right, buy a SS Randall.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
MaaZeus

Quote:
so a used randall rg100 is going to work out same price as buying pedals and is going to get me the high gain mid control.

If you can find a used one, yes. Either that or Dime D100 which to my knowledge is Deans clone of that amp. Cashing on Dimebags name propably but atleast they got something right. Both cost peanuts on used market. Start looking, you may get lucky. Definetly a better option than distortion pedal.

There is also Randall RG1503 which (to my knowledge) is hotrodded version of that amp, adding another gain channel and more watts. Still relatively new so its unlikely you find one used, and new one is about 350. But could be worth it if you want to save up a bit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #33
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Try the new Dime D100 amp. Not bad actually for cheap.

Way Cool Jr sighting

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-12-2013 at 08:57 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

buy a RG100ES, there were two the last time i walked out of a new local shop (everything is used there), i have owned two in the past and sold them. one had issues the other one needed a cap job and i didn't want to do it.

but one is at $100 the other is at $150, but the cheaper one is in rougher shape and doesn't come with a footswitch. i almost brought one with me, but i decided it wasn't what i wanted then. they are probably still there.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #35
dkunick
Waco

Buy a used Whammy, down a few Blacktooth Grins, tear a few holes in your speaker, max treble and bass controls to effectively scoop your tone, done.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #36
cfhdomination

Quote:

Exactly. Now go out and find one!
cfhdomination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #37
Sputnik1
He's A Thread Killer

Quote:
strange you want to sound the worst sputnik

yeh im after mainly getting closer to it than what my tone range allows without paying alot of money.

ill look into some kinda distortion pedal with a mid control to get abit closer

Good lord you must be dense and clueless. Why hasn't this thread been closed yet?!
Sputnik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
ragingkitty
meow?

Also, Dimebag tuned his guitars 25 cents flat on all strings... no idea why he'd want to make himself sound even worse than he already did.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Also, Dimebag tuned his guitars 25 cents flat on all strings... no idea why he'd want to make himself sound even worse than he already did.

So did Machine Head on Burn My Eyes album, tuning being somewhere between C and D. Nothing wrong in that, just another way to get some different sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503

Line6 Pod X3
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #40
mmolteratx
UG God

Peavey 6505