Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
mattmakaha

Hard to classify this, what do you think?

So what genre would you consider this piece I wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1dr4k1AUw

That's all just one guitar until 0:56. My guitar friends are surprised when I tell them that there are no overdubs until 0:56. It's just one guitar. They ask how I play section B which starts at 0:18, because they say it sounds like two guitars, but it's not, it's just one.

See if you guys can figure out how I'm playing guitar in the B section starting at 0:18 to make it sound like that.

Also, a soprano sax can sound a lot like an oboe, which it does in this recording. I play tenor sax and I know the wind instruments pretty well, so I know how to get certain timbres out of different instruments, so when I work with other musician's I know what I want out of them.

Last edited by mattmakaha : 04-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
So what genre would you consider this piece I wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1dr4k1AUw

That's all just one guitar until 0:56. My guitar friends are surprised when I tell them that there are no overdubs until 0:56. It's just one guitar. They ask how I play section B which starts at 0:18, because they say it sounds like two guitars, but it's not, it's just one.

See if you guys can figure out how I'm playing guitar in the B section starting at 0:18 to make it sound like that.

Also, a soprano sax can sound a lot like an oboe, which it does in this recording. I play tenor sax and I know the wind instruments pretty well, so I know how to get certain timbres out of different instruments, so when I work with other musician's I know what I want out of them.

I'm impressed at how you managed to make your guitar sound like the soprano saxophone that it says is also playing. If that's all guitar, where's the sax?
Really, you're overselling yourself imo. This is basic fingerstyle.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Zaqq

Really nice composition, but I agree with Cavalcade, there is nothing special about the technique. I've heard much more polyphonic pieces.

Last edited by Zaqq : 04-12-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Your sax ideas are better than your acoustic ideas. Mostly cuz your chord choices are fairly bland suspended chords that just break away from the scale every so often. Needs some spicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
mattmakaha

I realized I never replied to these comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
I'm impressed at how you managed to make your guitar sound like the soprano saxophone that it says is also playing. If that's all guitar, where's the sax?

Your comment made me LOL!
Come on, you know what I meant by my comment :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Your sax ideas are better than your acoustic ideas. Mostly cuz your chord choices are fairly bland suspended chords that just break away from the scale every so often. Needs some spicing.

Well, the arrangement delivers with only two instruments, wouldn't you say?
I mean how would you arrange the guitar part, without it being too busy?
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: