Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Surrealistic

15 Seconds to View my Tab? Madness!

Dear Ultimate Guitar,

A considerable percentage of your overall visitors come solely to download GP tabs for the popular tablature software, Guitar Pro.

Due to the short nature of this visit, we're not subjected to as much of you excessive advertising. So in order to tap this large stream of revenue that bypasses the current spam (that's how you see us, right?) not only do you make a large pop-up to inform us of you latest marketing scheme, you force us to view it for fifteen seconds.

My question is this: how do you consider this morally justifiable?

I will grant, for the sake of argument that some advertising is acceptable. We as consumers need to be informed about the products that are available. I am not concerned here with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

-Edit:

Don't ask me this stuff, as I've already countered it:

Are you kidding me? I wish I could send you youngsters back in time to dial-up internet and 256k ram speed on your computer. I realize that we are in the generation of "instant satisfaction"

Just as you expected 256k ram speeds back in "the day" (just pick a seemingly random number below 2013 and insert here) , we expect not to wait 15 seconds when ever we desire to be instantly satisfied. As technology evolves, why shouldn't the people whom use it do so too?

I would like to see UG have ads for Tampax and Oprah magazine

As would I. When I'm forced to view advertisements, I like them to actually be relevant to my needs/wants. Anything would be more constructive than UG's blatantly obvious final effort to entice visitors to buy into their own alternative to the software the visitor clearly (by the fact they are downloading a .GP file) already owns.

And even then 15 seconds is not an inconvenience.

I come to this site solely to download .GP tabs, as stated in my OP. I actually have other things do, such as playing the guitar. I generally open a webpage, navigate to UG, download the tab I want to play and play it. But I've been unable to achieve that as of late. Right before I receive the "instant satisfaction" of picking my guitar back up and playing this new groove, I'm being forced to view an intrusive advertisement for an entire, very inconvenient, fifteen seconds.

Not to mention, all the while, I'm being subjected to countless background images displaying more than enough information for me to base my opinion. I don't need an additional fifteen seconds of forced advertising for UG's latest plan to capitalize on the website for me to recall the fact, that hey, I already have Guitar Pro.

The 2 minutes that I spent reading your bitch session and trying to figure out if you were trolling was a waist of time and offensive to several senses.

Do you understand these advertisements have been added recently? Would a company, who puts themselves across as community orientated as UG, not appreciate and listen too the feedback on there latest marketing campaign provided (via their dedicated sub-forum I might add) by the people who actually use the website?

By referring to my valid feedback as 'just some bitching session from a kid who hasn't even used a computer with speeds limited to 256k' also offends me on several scenes. Does this not make you the troll by your own standards?

Besides, of course my "bitching session" was offensive to several scenes. Would I've sparked this debate without making it such? All I've done, aside from offend a few of your subjective morals, is made people stop and think about what's actually going on.

Nothing is free, but UG is as close as it gets.

I quite agree. Nothing is free. Including user submitted data. Directly copying user submitted GP tabs, converting them to Tab Pro and automatically giving them a 5-star rating to make them seem more appealing to potential customers is one of the practices that really tarnishes this websites reputation.

Please please please find a different site that has all of these features with no ads. Then find something to bitch about there.

As stated in my original post: I will grant, for the sake of argument that some advertising is acceptable. We as consumers need to be informed about the products that are available. I am not concerned here with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

Last edited by Surrealistic : 04-15-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Surrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
mjones1992

15 Seconds to View my Tab? Madness!

LOLZ. you do know there's a skip advertisement link at the bottom of all the advertisements, right?

And if you'd contribute, say, 3 or so tabs? they give you AdFree...just sayin... they don't even have to be GuitarPro tabs.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Surrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones1992
LOLZ. you do know there's a skip advertisement link at the bottom of all the advertisements, right?

And if you'd contribute, say, 3 or so tabs? they give you AdFree...just sayin... they don't even have to be GuitarPro tabs.

Do you think I would be writing this if there were a skip advertisement link at the bottom?

This is the message I'm confronted with each time I download a .GP file.

Try clicking "[download]Guitar Pro Tab" On this page.
(Full link: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/j..._guitar_pro.htm)

I come here to learn how to play songs, not teach others. Would you be grateful for me contributing 3 incorrect or duplicate tabs just so I could become ad free?

Would becoming "Adfree" even help me? I mean, my Ad Blocker add-on blocks all of the ads on the page. The advertising that I'm referring to is, in my experience, non-bypassable.

Last edited by Surrealistic : 04-13-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Surrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
Spaztikko

Yeah this is most definitely not cool in the slightest. There's already the blatant tab pro advertising in the form of a demo and this really isn't cool, more like the biggest turn off ever.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
cyclobs

Frankly i don't have enough time to be sitting around 15 seconds for every tab i want to look at.. Pop up ads with download link.. yeah i can live with that.. count down timer with 15 seconds.. nope!
cyclobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
chatterbox272

Agreed, tab pro is pushed and pushed on us a shitload already, all this is doing is encouraging me to find another site for tabs.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #7
>>>G30<<<

This is a real bummer, I would be able to stand it if i could go open another tab while I wait the 15 seconds, but it honestly just feels like such a waste. I come to UG cause I know I can find GP tabs and get them no hassle, but urgh. I hope they take this down.
I paid for guitarpro, im happy with it, I understand you want us to use your product, but don't reprimand us like this, the demo versions of tab pro on the page is enough to let me know what your product can offer.
I think it would make sense to advertise tab pro more heavily on the tabs and chord pages because people viewing them are less likely to have a product such as GP that theyve already paid for, and hence would be more interested in purchasing such a product.
>>>G30<<< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

This is really fucked, I am a contributor and the adfree doesn't work on this 15 second bullshit. No amount of time staring at the ad is going to change my mind about tabpro so go ahead and reverse this blunder.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
This is really fucked, I am a contributor and the adfree doesn't work on this 15 second bullshit. No amount of time staring at the ad is going to change my mind about tabpro so go ahead and reverse this blunder.

yea same for me.
I have just started looking for tabs at other places.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
hblargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzywhiteboy
yea same for me.
I have just started looking for tabs at other places.

Yeah I often search up a tab while everything's on, and my guitar's in my hands. It's extremely frustrating and very much a moodkill to have a riff stuck in your head and be forced to delay it just to see the same advertisement as the last 5 files.

Rapid accessibility is a feature of the site that, in my humble opinion, shouldn't be squandered.
hblargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #11
Petzakecske

I have 41 tabs and the majority of them are Guitar Pro tabs. So if I already have Guitar Pro (and everyone else who is downloading a gp tab) why would I pay for Tab Pro?

I also got it once free for 6 months because of the number of my contributions. I tried it once on the first day and never used it again. And the sound banks are also horrible in it.

I understand that UG has to get money from somewhere, but there's even a free alternative for Guitar Pro (Tux Guitar). They should either find some other way, or make it somehow superior than the others, but this 15 sec wait time won't make anyone pay for it, especially if only those who already have a better software are the only ones who are exposed to it.
Petzakecske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
el_paso

Has anyone seen a 'tab pro' tab with less than a five star rating? It's almost as if those tabs are getting automatic 5-stars rating rather than user submitted ratings. Not cool.
el_paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
matthew.boden.3

Tab pro is an inferior product to guitar pro. If it was superior i'd buy it but its not. 15 second wait time is ridiculous, You cant even browse another tab because it just pauses the countdown. Rage will occur when you wait 15 seconds to download an unrated tab that turns out to be bad.
matthew.boden.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
RetroGunslinger

It's a joke, all its gonna do is put people off buying tab pro. Terrible way to advertise it.
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
RetroGunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #15
ShockHazard

The worst thing is that you need to have the window / browser tab active, otherwise the countdown will be stopped :P

Seems like I'll be starting a UG boycott soon, if they don't remove the feature. Well done UG, well done...
ShockHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
el_paso

I think I'm totally right. Just done some more research. The tab pro tabs are copied from a guitarpro tab that a user has submitted. The tab pro automatically gets the same rating and number of votes as the guitarpro tab it was nicked from. On top of that, if the guitar pro it was taken from has less than a five-star rating then the tab pro will get a five-star rating with one vote. I call bullshit.

This superficially makes the tab pro tabs seem better or equal to the already existing user submitted tabs despite nobody actually rating it to that point. Vote rigging, nice.
el_paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
masterofpuppies

Nothing is more guaranteed to put me off buying a product than aggressive advertising. As soon as I'm pushed like that, it just makes me go elsewhere. Ironically, if things like the all 5 star ratings etc didn't happen, it would be more inclined to trust it as a product and buy it.
masterofpuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
HAZ-121

I've submitted well over 3 tabs and I did get the ad-free thing that UG offered, it doesn't work for these ones, I'm still stuck looking at them for 15 seconds.
HAZ-121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
HAZ-121

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_paso
I think I'm totally right. Just done some more research. The tab pro tabs are copied from a guitarpro tab that a user has submitted. The tab pro automatically gets the same rating and number of votes as the guitarpro tab it was nicked from. On top of that, if the guitar pro it was taken from has less than a five-star rating then the tab pro will get a five-star rating with one vote. I call bullshit.

This superficially makes the tab pro tabs seem better or equal to the already existing user submitted tabs despite nobody actually rating it to that point. Vote rigging, nice.

You are right, or at least you're partially right because GP tabs that I've submitted have been turned into Tab Pro tabs.
HAZ-121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

I was gonna come here and be like "wtf you on 'bout".

Clicked on the link.

What the **** UG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: