Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
Petzakecske

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_paso
I think I'm totally right. Just done some more research. The tab pro tabs are copied from a guitarpro tab that a user has submitted. The tab pro automatically gets the same rating and number of votes as the guitarpro tab it was nicked from. On top of that, if the guitar pro it was taken from has less than a five-star rating then the tab pro will get a five-star rating with one vote. I call bullshit.

Yeah, like my Scaretale tab which took me more than 20 hours to make and they don't even give me credit for it. Or I just can't seem to find it anywhere. But if you copy our tabs at least put there that it's made by us and not by those who get the money for it.

I just browsed through the Tab Pro site and they don't say it anywhere that these tabs were made by the users, only that "made by guitaritst for guitarists" (which doesn't necessarily mean that it was made by users, it could also imply that they have hired professional guitarists specially to tab songs for them), "world's largest tab catalog" and stuff like that. Or if they do write it somewhere, they hid it very well.
Petzakecske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Hm, mine still lets me download instantly... ad blocker? And if you can't be bothered to wait 15 seconds, be bothered to spend a couple hours figuring it out by ear

Still, I agree with the sentiment about tab pro.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
moo03d

Quote:
Has anyone seen a 'tab pro' tab with less than a five star rating? It's almost as if those tabs are getting automatic 5-stars rating rather than user submitted ratings. Not cool.

Quote:
I think I'm totally right. Just done some more research. The tab pro tabs are copied from a guitarpro tab that a user has submitted. The tab pro automatically gets the same rating and number of votes as the guitarpro tab it was nicked from. On top of that, if the guitar pro it was taken from has less than a five-star rating then the tab pro will get a five-star rating with one vote. I call bullshit.

This superficially makes the tab pro tabs seem better or equal to the already existing user submitted tabs despite nobody actually rating it to that point. Vote rigging, nice.

I just had a look at one of them using the demo mode and it's a direct rip of a gp tab I uploaded, my tab has no ratings yet and the tab pro one has 5 star ratings (which is obviously still my hard work) but I don't get the rating added to my score. Sad.

I'd happily have ads turned back on for contributors if it meant getting rid of the wait because I sure as hell wont be buying tab pro, especially now seeing that they just steal tabs from us while we get nothing.

Last edited by moo03d : 04-13-2013 at 07:23 AM.
moo03d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo03d
I just had a look at one of them using the demo mode and it's a direct rip of a gp tab I uploaded, my tab has no ratings yet and the tab pro one has 5 star ratings (which is obviously still my hard work) but I don't get the rating added to my score. Sad.

I'd happily have ads turned back on for contributors if it meant getting rid of the wait because I sure as hell wont be buying tab pro, especially now seeing that they just steal tabs from us while we get nothing.

Yeah we're pretty sure they take the GP tabs for Tab Pro and just give them 5 start instantly.

Bit shitty if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Dexter_prog

Another one here. This is insane, plus I am a big contributor, I've also been offered some free tab pro and the no adds version because of this. How come I have to wait 15 seconds for tabs? I mean, at least remove it for those of us that contribute a lot! It is obvious that after YEARS of being here and not caring about tab pro, I will never do.
Dexter_prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Posting to express agreeing with you guys.
I exclusively write gpx, this already means I have absolutely no need for tab pro, and I was told I would go ad free some weeks ago. Yet I am being spammed in the face with tab pro ads - even when checking my own tabs - that is completely obnoxious.
I already know that tab pro = the GP/power tab, the duplicated / fake ratings, etc.
There are so many things wrong about this. Please try to find another way
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I asked about the five star thing earlier, and they said it was a "technical problem" and they were "fixing" it. Take that as you will, but I think they just didn't think anyone would notice, and now they're backpedaling as fast as they can (which is embarrassingly slow).

My biggest issue with Tab Pro is that they seem to have removed the contributor credit. I made this tab, for example, and I don't see my handle anywhere on that page. I (and a bunch of other tabbers) raised a fuss about this when Tab Pro was first introduced, and they started crediting us. Now, they've stopped.

I love UG's tab archive. It's a big part of the way I learned to play guitar in the first place, and the reason I write tabs is to give something back. I understand their bandwidth charges must be huge, and they have to pay them one way or another, but the sooner they can accept that Tab Pro has failed, and try something else, the better things will work out for them in the long run.

On the bright side, this makes my life easier. Now I can just post ASCII tabs from now on, and not have to worry about the drum parts (which are easily the hardest part of each song).

E:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzakecske
Yeah, like my Scaretale tab which took me more than 20 hours to make and they don't even give me credit for it.

By the way, thanks for that tab.

EE: It pauses the counter if you switch windows (or even tabs). Now I'm annoyed.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
DoomSprout

Wow, just when I thought the annoying download page shoving Tab Pro down our throats couldn't get any worse...

Come on UG, turn this awful feature off
DoomSprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I'm just going to draw some more attention to part of my previous post. If you contribute tabs, and the way that UG has handled Tab Pro so far irritates you, then I urge you to only post ASCII (text) tabs from now on. Without a database built from Guitar Pro (or Power, but who uses that anymore?) tabs, Tab Pro is useless.

Hey, I wonder what Arobas (the company that makes Guitar Pro) thinks about all the stuff that's happening at the Internet's biggest archive of Guitar Pro files. Maybe someone should ask them?

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
alex94kumar

Ultimate Guitar Site Maintainers, or anyone that controls this: PLEASE LISTEN TO WE THE MUSICIANS: YOU ARE DOING A HORRIBLE THING MAKING US WAIT 15 SECONDS TO DOWNLOAD GUITAR PRO FILES.

Like another user said, you CAN'T EVEN SWITCH TABS. Why would you do this to us? It doesn't help anything, any logical/non-braindead musician knows guitar pro is much better than tab-pro. a quick trip to the pirate bay or Arobas' website will obviously reinforce that.

Has ANYONE found a workaround to the 15 second wait?

Last edited by alex94kumar : 04-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.
alex94kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Joeval
UG's only Geologist

Yep, get rid of it please.

Not cool.

There's a damn great demo for it already, the ads are all over the place, if I wanted it, I'd have bought it already. This is making me want it even less than I already did.

Awesome guy right here
Joeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
Downfall93

No one is going to buy it because of this ad! 12 month tab pro costs exactly like guitar pro 6.
Downfall93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex94kumar
Ultimate Guitar Site Maintainers, or anyone that controls this: PLEASE LISTEN TO WE THE MUSICIANS: YOU ARE DOING A HORRIBLE THING MAKING US WAIT 15 SECONDS TO DOWNLOAD GP FILES. Like another user said, you CAN'T EVEN SWITCH TABS. Why would you do this to us? It doesn't help anything, any logical/non-braindead musician knows guitar pro is much better than tab-pro. a quick trip to the pirate bay or Arobas' website will obviously reinforce that.

Has ANYONE found a workaround to the 15 second wait?

The people behind Tab Pro services are using other people's work, for profit, without their permission, or crediting them, or compensating them, and faking the ratings of bad tabs in order to get people to switch, and showing an unprecedented amount of dishonesty when people call them on it.

There are bigger things afoot than waiting fifteen bloody seconds.

My workaround is to pick up your guitar, and just try to work out some parts by ear while you wait. Just keep the page open and do something that doesn't require a computer, and it'll run out eventually. It will not, however, make anyone more honest, and neither will telling people to pirate a program from a completely different company, that's been minding their own business while UG tries to rob them of users.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
newg
Gwen

Bad Bad Bad idea ...
turn this feature off !
newg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #35
Downfall93

I already started a thread like this one in the pit, and among a few serious posts there was this one, explains how to aviod this (kinda..): http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...24&postcount=42
Downfall93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfall93
I already started a thread like this one in the pit, and among a few serious posts there was this one, explains how to aviod this (kinda..): http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...24&postcount=42

To the GreaseMonkey wiki!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #37
AnEvilWalrus
UG's Lone Fern

I noticed this the other day. Goddamn ridiculous. This needs to go immediately.
Originally Posted by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
AnEvilWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #38
Minivirus2

Honestly, I'm more pissed about the fact that I constantly have to battle pop-ups on my iPhone when searching for tabs on UG. I already have UG Tabs AND UG Tools installed on my phone, so develop some base level **** to realize this fact and stop subjecting me to these ****ing ads all the time. I honestly use the site less because of it.
Minivirus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Guess what?
I cobbled together a crappy GreaseMonkey script to bypass the download wait.
Get it while it's hot.
UG staff, I hope you understand why I did this. It's not even about the wait; 15 seconds be damned, this took me like 5 whole minutes. It's to get your attention, and express my feelings on how you've treated people like me, whose contributions power your entire site, the only way I can.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-13-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #40
BigHeadClan
Mistro

Sorry Cavalcade, yours ain't working for me. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/37627 Seems to work just fine at bypassing the wait timer though!

I don't like the fact they ripped off contributes though.

Rate This Thread: