Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan
Sorry Cavalcade, yours ain't working for me. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/37627 Seems to work just fine at bypassing the wait timer though!

I don't like the fact they ripped off contributes though.

Ooh, clever. It's the same basic idea, but replaces the button (which is what they've changed) instead of adding a link above it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
hvymtldrmz1392

Not much to contribute here, but amen to all the stuff that's been said so far.

For shame, UG. For shame.
hvymtldrmz1392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #43
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

For reference, this is what the script should look like in action.
That being said, since the other script seems to work better, I'll just link to that instead and pretend this little wannabe-hacktivist escapade never happened.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-13-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #44
BigHeadClan
Mistro

You're code and his as pretty similar, his just took it a step farther. Still my programming skills are rusty, would have taken me at least 2 hours or so to think of a work around.

Either way I wouldn't have found it if you didn't present a work around, so thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #45
alex94kumar

Lol, how much longer you think until UG finds a way to patch this?
alex94kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
jimmy-moto

I made a thread about this yesterday and everyone called me a whiner and then they closed the thread.

Thank the lord people are finally responding. I was losing hope for this website.
jimmy-moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #47
BigHeadClan
Mistro

Depends how lazy they are, even if they do find a way it much harder to stop this then it is to do it. If they fix it, then someone else will just find another way around it. Besides with the amount of UG users saying they dislike this system it may not even stay.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #48
ruker
the iconflict

Man, sure glad I built up my tab library a while back. Would be a pain in the ass trying to download like an albums worth with this waiting crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
The people behind Tab Pro services are using other people's work, for profit, without their permission, or crediting them, or compensating them, and faking the ratings of bad tabs in order to get people to switch, and showing an unprecedented amount of dishonesty when people call them on it.

I hear you, but I gotta imagine it's all a part of the ToS that once we upload our tabs to UG, the tabs become UG's property. It's like we relinquish ownership to UG in exchange for hosting.

And we really have no true alternative. If we submit our tabs on another site, they're eventually going to "find their way" on to this site anyways. Only thing we can do is to not submit our tabs online, but the only reason I tab (other than because I enjoy it) is to give back to the tabbing community that helped me get better all these years.

Last edited by ruker : 04-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #49
Aays
Lurking as usual

Got nothing to add to this except a solid amen.

Glad I'm not the only one pissed off about this.

Also I never got the whole adfree thing? I have 7 tabs up which, granted, isn't a whole lot, but it should have been enough to warrant it (if I remember the announcement correctly).

But yeah. Not cool, UG.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #50
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
I hear you, but I gotta imagine it's all a part of the ToS that once we upload our tabs to UG, the tabs become UG's property. It's like we relinquish ownership to UG in exchange for hosting.

And we really have no true alternative. If we submit our tabs on another site, they're eventually going to "find their way" on to this site anyways. Only thing we can do is to not submit our tabs online, but the only reason I tab (other than because I enjoy it) is to give back to the tabbing community that helped me get better all these years.

You're basically me! And so I'm going to try to prove that first part of what I said wrong. To the Terms Of Service!
Quote:
6.3 We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same.

Ha. Ha ha. Haaaaa. Good joke, UG's lawyers. (That's some weak-ass language right there; from a legal standpoint, it doesn't mean shiiit.)
Quote:
6.1 The Content available through the Service is the property of Ultimate Guitar or its Content Providers

Who are these mysterious Content Providers?
Quote:
Registered Users ("Content Providers")

Wait, that's me! Do I get any rights for registering?
Quote:
7. REGISTERED USERS

Go on...
Quote:
7.2 Ultimate Guitar does not claim any ownership rights in User Generated Content that you transmit, submit, display or publish (“post”) on, through or in connection with the Service. After posting your User Generated Content on, through or in connection with the Service, you continue to retain any such rights that you may have in your User Generated Content

Ta-da! I can't claim copyright on my content once I submit it to UG, but they can't claim ownership. And yet they are, tacitly, by using my work and failing to credit me.
Now, credit. Credit isn't an easily legally-defined concept, and it's different from copyright. Buuuut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work.

Are they doing that? You decide!
Drunk lawyering is fuuuun.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #51
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealistic
Dear Ultimate Guitar,

A considerable percentage of your overall visitors come solely to download GP tabs for the popular tablature software, Guitar Pro.

Due to the short nature of this visit, we're not subjected to as much of you excessive advertising. So in order to tap this large stream of revenue that bypasses the current spam (that's how you see us, right?) not only do you make a large pop-up to inform us of you latest marketing scheme, you force us to view it for fifteen seconds.

My question is this: how do you consider this morally justifiable?

I will grant, for the sake of argument that some advertising is acceptable. We as consumers need to be informed about the products that are available. I am not concerned here with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

not to disagree that there is much room to improve what we have now, it's sort of broken logic that we should first off think about users who do "short visits just to download guitar pro files". simeple question is - what's our chance to monetize such visit? ads? fine, but it's a short visit which is the most expensive visit as well in terms of traffic (guitar pro files are the largest files on the site and consume significant amoutn of total bandwith). this is not somethink new or unique on the internet - each and every free download website has such a timer, unless you get premium account. and you should usually wait for 60 to 90 seconds, not just 15.

again, we are going to improve that as soon as this coming Monday:

- no popup for contributors
- no popup for tab pro users
- no popup for ad free users
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #52
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthm_guitarist
This is really fucked, I am a contributor and the adfree doesn't work on this 15 second bullshit. No amount of time staring at the ad is going to change my mind about tabpro so go ahead and reverse this blunder.

sorry about that. we will fix that on Monday. no ads for contributors.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #53
jonathan.keeler

I have had an account since 2008 and I spend a lot of time with every single guitar pro tab from an artist or band open in a tab, I will then scroll through and download them all. You know how long that takes without having to wait 15 seconds every time. it could take me an extra five minutes or something now. Not cool.

wait so If I upload a few tabs, will I get adfree and get rid of this bullshit. Im never going to use tab pro if I already have guitar pro. Where is the logic here!
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #54
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Not a single word about crediting contributors or giving honest ratings, zapp? If you ask me, the ratings for the Tab Pro version should be the same as the tab it was derived from.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #55
DoomSprout

Does Tab Pro allow the creation of tabs, or does it purely leech content from GuitarPro, stealing potential Arobas customers without having to go to the effort of creating and maintaining the complex editor functionality used by the smaller part of the user base?

Just wondering... cos that would suck so much...

Last edited by DoomSprout : 04-14-2013 at 03:17 PM.
DoomSprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #56
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomSprout
Does Tab Pro allow the creation of tabs, or does it purely leech content from GuitarPro, stealing potential Arobas customers without having to go to the effort of creating and maintaining the complex editor functionality used by the smaller part of the user base?

Just wondering... cos that would suck so much...

erm...? leech content from what? from Guitar Pro? Guitar pro doesn't have any content, it's us, ultimate guitar, who powers arobas' product with content which you download from ultimate guitar. it's us, ultimate guitar, who license content and pay royalties to let visitors download and others to distribute guitar pro files. every single download of guitar pro file costs us money that we pay to artists/publishers. it's also ultimate guitar which makes guitar pro format popular.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #57
RockInPeaceDime

I truthfully do not desire to be an asshole. I understand monetizing a website -- you all provide a great service that absolutely has costs involved, and those costs have to be covered. That's a given and I would never fault an organization of this sort for monetizing their website through advertising. It's a necessity and fully expected.

But as someone who works in the digital marketing field, the advice you've received is coming from a poor source and you need to consult a genuine professional that understands digital marketing. It's really gotten to the point where your monetizing strategy significantly takes away from the functionality of the website and makes the site almost chore-like to use in some respects. That's not good, obviously.

I would encourage you to rethink your overall strategy and implementation. I say that as someone who really does like this site, visits fairly frequently, has recommended it to friends, and so on. I genuinely do believe if you continue down the path you're on, a substitute is sure to arise in the long run.
RockInPeaceDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #58
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
erm...? leech content from what? from Guitar Pro? Guitar pro doesn't have any content, it's us, ultimate guitar, who powers arobas' product with content which you download from ultimate guitar. it's us, ultimate guitar, who license content and pay royalties to let visitors download and others to distribute guitar pro files. every single download of guitar pro file costs us money that we pay to artists/publishers. it's also ultimate guitar which makes guitar pro format popular.

You know they are very good points. Have you ever considered going into some sort of partnership with Arobas? I mean that would make a lot of sense when you consider the points you've raised. Perhaps a UG and Guitar Pro tie-in product would be good, as both of your products work hand in hand.

In any case I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to proceed with this situation. I'm still a loyal fan of UG, it's helped me countless times
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #59
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:

I find it extremely hard to believe that every single GP tab, UG would need to pay royalties to the artists/labels. But perhaps you're just speaking frankly, as earlier you said every free file hosting site makes you wait an amount of time before you can download, which sites like mediafire would beg to differ.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #60
DoomSprout

Quote:

OK, I guess I could have worded that better. I love UG - it's a fantastic service you provide - but this latest move, on top of the already over-the-top Tab Pro advertising, genuinely annoyed me.

You do have an almost symbiotic relationship with Arobas. They need you, and you need them. I just find there is something unsound about the way you are competing by attempting to irritate users into using your software instead of theirs.

I don't know. As the "keepers of the content", maybe you have every right to control exactly how users access that content... this way of doing it just feels wrong to me somehow.
DoomSprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: