Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #61
TwoPlusTwo

To be honest, there isn't any reason for a 15 second wait.
I understand a wait for non members, but for members?
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #62
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Guys, just find the 100,000+ Guitar Pro torrent and DL it. If UG wants to annoy the shit outta you guys with ads, go elsewhere. When you have 100,000+ tabs, you'll find you won't be constantly coming back here for tabs; thus, less 15 second ads.

Edit: Ever since I've had 100,000+ tabs, I've came here looking for tabs much, much less. Plus, I'm sure there's a bunch of other sites that offer the same service without such an annoyance.

Problem is, DON'T GET USED TO IT. This advertisement crap is only getting worse and soon, if not already, the internet will be just like TV with its advertisements - some offer you a choice to skip, but that's going away. Just look at youtube. In the past, there were practically no ads. Now, they're squeezing in forced 30 sec ads. It's just gonna keep gettin' worse.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-14-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #63
dimarzio77
BAMF

Are you kidding me? I wish I could send you youngsters back in time to dial-up internet and 256k ram speed on your computer. I realize that we are in the generation of "instant satisfaction" but you can't tell me that 15 seconds is too long. I would like to see UG have ads for Tampax and Oprah magazine. And even then 15 seconds is not an inconvenience. The 2 minutes that I spent reading your bitch session and trying to figure out if you were trolling was a waist of time and offensive to several senses. Nothing is free but UG is as close as it gets. Please please please find a different site that has all of these features with no ads. Then find something to bitch about there.
dimarzio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #64
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio77
Are you kidding me? I wish I could send you youngsters back in time to dial-up internet and 256k ram speed on your computer. I realize that we are in the generation of "instant satisfaction" but you can't tell me that 15 seconds is too long. I would like to see UG have ads for Tampax and Oprah magazine. And even then 15 seconds is not an inconvenience. The 2 minutes that I spent reading your bitch session and trying to figure out if you were trolling was a waist of time and offensive to several senses. Nothing is free but UG is as close as it gets. Please please please find a different site that has all of these features with no ads. Then find something to bitch about there.

Nice username.

This is awkward

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #65
killergege

The worst thing here is that you display this 15s ad to users who probably already have GP, which is a superior product to Tab pro... So, what's the point ?
You're adverting to the wrong people here, they are the less interested in the product.
So forcing me to see this ad for 15s everytime I want to download a tab is just useless.

There's another issue not mentioned here : the approval queue. Checking a GP tab will become really tedious if you have to wait when you want to compare a submission with the existing tabs.

Last edited by killergege : 04-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
killergege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #66
Petzakecske

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio77

It's not just the 15 seconds wait time. They advertise Tab Pro being the largest tab catalogue, created by guitarists for guitarists. This could easily imply that if you subscribe for Tab Pro you'll get higher quality tabs made by pros than the ones you can get for free created by the users. However these tabs are simply the exact copy of our submissions without giving us credit, and Tab Pro is far from being superior to Guitar Pro anyway.
So the Tab Pro user buys a product for which he pays monthly, because he isn't informed anywhere that he can get the exact same tabs for free and a software to open and edit (which AFAIK is not possible with Tab Pro, but I may be wrong) them for I think about a years subscription fee. Or free with Tux Guitar.

Edit: Oh, I also see that you have no contributions, so you might not know this feeling. Be it in the ToS or not, it still doesn't feel good when they just copy your work in which you put lots of hours of your own free time just to help fellow guitarists and then they just put it in Tab Pro like it was made by them or something.

Last edited by Petzakecske : 04-14-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Petzakecske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #67
calnix

I agree with the TS as well.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzakecske
It's not just the 15 seconds wait time. They advertise Tab Pro being the largest tab catalogue, created by guitarists for guitarists. This could easily imply that if you subscribe for Tab Pro you'll get higher quality tabs made by pros than the ones you can get for free created by the users. However these tabs are simply the exact copy of our submissions without giving us credit, and Tab Pro is far from being superior to Guitar Pro anyway.
So the Tab Pro user buys a product for which he pays monthly, because he isn't informed anywhere that he can get the exact same tabs for free and a software to open and edit (which AFAIK is not possible with Tab Pro, but I may be wrong) them for I think about a years subscription fee. Or free with Tux Guitar.

Edit: Oh, I also see that you have no contributions, so you might not know this feeling. Be it in the ToS or not, it still doesn't feel good when they just copy your work in which you put lots of hours of your own free time just to help fellow guitarists and then they just put it in Tab Pro like it was made by them or something.

Hey, if someone decides to purchase tab pro without researching other options/choices and finds that he/she has been screwed over, that's not tab pro's or UG's fault. It's the purchaser lacking any sort of consumer vigilance. That's like someone buying a 2wd car and being pissed that it's not AWD. Come on now.

PS- UG can do whatever they want with tabs other than ignore the demand of a certain tab being removed. You forfeit your right at getting credit for any tab as soon as it makes an appearance here on UG. Most sites are like that.

The UG contract could clear up many of these "debates" on this topic. As far as ads go, UG offers a service. We all know it, but some have to be reminded: Shit. Ain't. Free.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-14-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #69
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealistic
Dear Ultimate Guitar,

A considerable percentage of your overall visitors come solely to download GP tabs for the popular tablature software, Guitar Pro.

Due to the short nature of this visit, we're not subjected to as much of you excessive advertising. So in order to tap this large stream of revenue that bypasses the current spam (that's how you see us, right?) not only do you make a large pop-up to inform us of you latest marketing scheme, you force us to view it for fifteen seconds.

My question is this: how do you consider this morally justifiable?

I will grant, for the sake of argument that some advertising is acceptable. We as consumers need to be informed about the products that are available. I am not concerned here with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

Why should UG cater to your desire to NOT have to view ads? Is 15 seconds REALLY that much?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #70
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Guys, just find the 100,000+ Guitar Pro torrent and DL it. If UG wants to annoy the shit outta you guys with ads, go elsewhere. When you have 100,000+ tabs, you'll find you won't be constantly coming back here for tabs; thus, less 15 second ads.

10,000+ random tabs from a torrent does not solve the problem. First of all, we'd be getting tons and tons of tabs from bands that we don't want. Second, why should anyone trust the torrent creator to pick the best versions of the tabs? Chances are they just see a 5-star tab and they'll use that one, rather than maybe a newer version that's waaay better with no ratings yet. If there are multiple 5-star versions of one song, are they going to sift out the best/most accurate version? Doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Why should UG cater to your desire to NOT have to view ads? Is 15 seconds REALLY that much?

BECAUSE WE ALREADY HAVE GP, WE HAVE ZERO USE FOR TAB PRO! Shesh, why is it only the non-contributors don't understand this?

Last edited by ruker : 04-14-2013 at 07:12 PM.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #71
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
10,000+ random tabs from a torrent does not solve the problem. First of all, we'd be getting tons and tons of tabs from bands that we don't want. Second, why should anyone trust the torrent creator to pick the best versions of the tabs? Chances are they just see a 5-star tab and they'll use that one, rather than maybe a newer version that's waaay better with no ratings yet. If there are multiple 5-star versions of one song, are they going to sift out the best/most accurate version? Doubtful.

It's 100,000 tabs. Plus, you get the same selection of tabs as THIS website! Not to mention it's only 210 MB. It's not like it takes up that much space. It's way more convenient. Plus, a newer version of a tab isn't guaranteed to be better than a previous one. You've seen how many alternate versions there are on here. You should know that a new one doesn't mean didly.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #72
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruker
BECAUSE WE ALREADY HAVE GP, WE HAVE ZERO USE FOR TAB PRO! Shesh, why is it only the non-contributors don't understand this?

There's nothing I WANT to contribute as far as tabs go because there's already 20 goddamn versions of each song. At least with having them all on my computer, I can sift through all versions in the same amount of time it would take you to get 2 and hear them.

Sheesh, why is it contributers don't understand that websites have to advertise SOMETHING and if it's not Tab Pro, it's gonna be something else that's most likely equally as annoying. Either way, you'll be waiting 15 seconds. Get over it and stop being a baby about it. Go to another website or start your own.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-14-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #73
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
Plus, a newer version of a tab isn't guaranteed to be better than a previous one. You've seen how many alternate versions there are on here. You should know that a new one doesn't mean didly.

Yes, I'm well aware. But at the same time, we take precaution in filtering out the bad newer versions in the tab submissions queue (a place you can't see because you don't contribute). More times than not now, newer versions are going to be more accurate, be it fingerings or during playback.

Quote:
Sheesh, why is it contributers don't understand that websites have to advertise SOMETHING and if it's not Tab Pro, it's gonna be something else that's most likely equally as annoying. Either way, you'll be waiting 15 seconds. Get over it and stop being a baby about it. Go to another website or start your own.

I already addressed this early in the thread. Way to read braj. Oh and btw, since you don't contribute, you obviously don't know that those of us that have contributed, have ads removed from this site.

Last edited by ruker : 04-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #74
xHellbound
UG Freak

I guess I'm going back to typing out the URL to download what I need. It's how I got all the Dethklok GPs that were pulled but never actually deleted.

xHellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #75
Leftfordead86

Really Dimarzio45, why are you even here? You clearly don't use the site for the same purpose as we do, so why you think you have any credibility to comment on such a problem is baffling. Because obviously that big old torrent download you have won't EVER go out of date and will include every new artist in 2013 who's song we want to learn. Does that torrent download have the new QOTSA song? Will it have the new Megadeth album, Black Sabbath album? What about the new UK indie band Peace's album, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats new album? I could go on.

So where am I going to find all these tabs then...SITES LIKE UG!!! So then we're back to square one, debating on how to make a site that we will inevitably have to use, better and more functional for its users, as well as its contributors.

Go sit on your superior throne propped up by your fat torrent download, that can't even be guaranteed to be any more accurate then the tabs on this sites, and stop commenting on something you don't even use.

Last edited by Leftfordead86 : 04-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Leftfordead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #76
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfordead86
Really Dimarzio45, why are you even here? You clearly don't use the site for the same purpose as we do, so why you think you have any credibility to comment on such a problem is baffling. Because obviously that big old torrent download you have won't EVER go out of date and will include every new artist in 2013 who's song we want to learn. Does that torrent download have the new QOTSA song? Will it have the new Megadeth album, Black Sabbath album? What about the new UK indie band Peace's album, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats new album? I could go on.

So where am I going to find all these tabs then...SITES LIKE UG!!! So then we're back to square one, debating on how to make a site that we will inevitably have to use, better and more functional for its users, as well as its contributors.

Go sit on your superior throne propped up by your fat torrent download, that can't even be guaranteed to be any more accurate then the tabs on this sites, and stop commenting on something you don't even use.

Hey, I still come here for tabs as I previously stated. I still look at and wait on the 15 second screen too.

Also, there's a lot more to this site than just tabs.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #77
NemX162

I just have to add my two cents and say that this is total bullshit. I am a contributor, so I thought I was to be exempt from advertising. I am also a GuitarPro user, so there is no reason to try to convince me to use your product. If anything it is ensuring that I never even consider the TabPro product in the future.

It's one thing to have ads, but you are inhibiting the usability of the site.
NemX162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #78
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemX162
I just have to add my two cents and say that this is total bullshit. I am a contributor, so I thought I was to be exempt from advertising. I am also a GuitarPro user, so there is no reason to try to convince me to use your product. If anything it is ensuring that I never even consider the TabPro product in the future.

It's one thing to have ads, but you are inhibiting the usability of the site.

It's all good, zappp addressed this earlier... his post seems to just have gotten buried by our bickering. Here is it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
again, we are going to improve that as soon as this coming Monday:

- no popup for contributors
- no popup for tab pro users
- no popup for ad free users
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #79
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

^^ That's good the contributors get a win. ^^
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #80
King Twili
UG's Constable

I can understand that it's necessary for UG to promote it's product in order to maintain the site - that much is obvious. But, really? A 15 second wait? First we had the demo box above the tab - that's okay, I can scroll past it easily enough. But a timed pop-up? As a user, the only effects this will have on me are:

- I'll search elsewhere for GP tabs - I already have Guitar Pro, why would I ever need to use Tab Pro? Even Tux Guitar has a Java web launcher, so it's not as if I'd even need it for that reason - tux guitar does the same thing as Tab Pro for free.

- If I can't find the tab elsewhere, I'll sit and blankly stare at the popup for 15 seconds. It's not anymore likely to make me or other people who already have Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar purchase Tab Pro.

I'm no marketing expert, but this is a very heavy handed and frankly bad way at trying to secure more sales. At the very least, set it so there is no timer on the popup if you must have one.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: