Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #81
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Yeah, guys, this is not a good way to go about advertising your service. It's intrusive and outright annoying.

Please, get rid of it. As someone who's been coming to this site for tabs for quite literally half this site's lifetime (seven years), I can say this is probably one of the worst things that I've seen done.
ESP Eclipse II (Lace Finger Burners)
Agile Septor Pro 727 Maple Board (EMG 81-7s)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #82
Surrealistic

Great feedback so far, guys. I've been reading each post. Interesting perspective, Dimarzio77. Consider this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio77
Are you kidding me? I wish I could send you youngsters back in time to dial-up internet and 256k ram speed on your computer. I realize that we are in the generation of "instant satisfaction"

Just as you expected 256k ram speeds back in "the day" (just pick a seemingly random number below 2013 and insert here) , we expect not to wait 15 seconds when ever we desire to be instantly satisfied. As technology evolves, why shouldn't the people whom use it do so too?

Dimarzio77: I would like to see UG have ads for Tampax and Oprah magazine

As would I. When I'm forced to view advertisements, I like them to actually be relevant to my needs/wants. Anything would be more constructive than UG's blatantly obvious final effort to entice visitors to buy into their own alternative to the software the visitor clearly (by the fact they are downloading a .GP file) already owns.

Dimarzio77: And even then 15 seconds is not an inconvenience.

I come to this site solely to download .GP tabs, as stated in my OP. I actually have other things do, such as playing the guitar. I generally open a webpage, navigate to UG, download the tab I want to play and play it. But I've been unable to achieve that as of late. Right before I receive the "instant satisfaction" of picking my guitar back up and playing this new groove, I'm being forced to view an intrusive advertisement for an entire, very inconvenient, fifteen seconds.

Not to mention, all the while, I'm being subjected to countless background images displaying more than enough information for me to base my opinion. I don't need an additional fifteen seconds of forced advertising for UG's latest plan to capitalize on the website for me to recall the fact, that hey, I already have Guitar Pro.

Dimarzio77: The 2 minutes that I spent reading your bitch session and trying to figure out if you were trolling was a waist of time and offensive to several senses.

Do you understand these advertisements have been added recently? Would a company, who puts themselves across as community orientated as UG, not appreciate and listen too the feedback on there latest marketing campaign provided (via their dedicated sub-forum I might add) by the people who actually use the website?

By referring to my valid feedback as 'just some bitching session from a kid who hasn't even used a computer with speeds limited to 265k' also offends me on several scenes. Does this not make you the troll by your own standards?

Besides, of course my "bitching session" was offensive to several scenes. Would I've sparked this debate without making it such? All I've done, aside from offend a few of your subjective morals, is made people stop and think about what's actually going on.

Dimarzio77: Nothing is free, but UG is as close as it gets.

I quite agree. Nothing is free. Including user submitted data. Directly copying user submitted GP tabs, converting them to Tab Pro and automatically giving them a 5-star rating to make them seem more appealing to potential customers is one of the practices that really tarnishes this websites reputation.

Dimarzio77: Please please please find a different site that has all of these features with no ads. Then find something to bitch about there.

As stated in my original post: I will grant, for the sake of argument that some advertising is acceptable. We as consumers need to be informed about the products that are available. I am not concerned here with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

Last edited by Surrealistic : 04-15-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Surrealistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #83
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrown93
You know they are very good points. Have you ever considered going into some sort of partnership with Arobas? I mean that would make a lot of sense when you consider the points you've raised. Perhaps a UG and Guitar Pro tie-in product would be good, as both of your products work hand in hand.

In any case I'm sure you'll figure out the best way to proceed with this situation. I'm still a loyal fan of UG, it's helped me countless times

thanks buddy. As I said many times in the last couple days - we're improving that first thing today. we appreciate the work of our contributors and we love our contributors and gonna do anything to please them and show our appreication of their work (no ads, free apps, support, free subscriptions, etc). We love our visitors as well and there are a couple dozen of new features, layout, functionality improvements have been made (not related to tab pro) in the past several months (you can read that thread in The Pit discussing all the new features)... though the thruth is that really the only way people accept ads is when they don't see it obviously, marketing doesn't work that way.
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #84
zappp
+ UG Master +

the funny shit is that those people who complain about tab pro saying they've got 100K guitar pro files torrent and they also got Guitar Pro most likely got Guita Pro from the torrents as well. You really think we should support the piracy? Do you really think that people who made these 100K files and uploaded to UG to get feedback/thank you comment/rating/etc would appreciate that?

back in 2000 same people complained about shutting down napster. well, you know what? it's 2013 and pandora, spotify, itunes is mass audience products that made your hobby easier and more accessible just because you don't have to do things you've used to in the past in offline/PC world. Same is Tab Pro - you don't have to download, you don't have to wait for GP to open, you don't need to change windows -- click and it's there right in your browser. listen learn play.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #85
emad
Rocker

Fair enough, but could you disable that 15 seconds thing at least for tab moderators? Because when we're gonna vote for gp files in tpa which we already have other versions, it's gonna be boring to wait for every tab.
We somehow get over it.

emad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #86
Surrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
The funny shit is that those people who complain about tab pro saying they've got 100K guitar pro files torrent and they also got Guitar Pro most likely got Guitar Pro from the torrents as well. You really think we should support the piracy?

Okay, sure, one user posted in support of piracy. No more than the large number of users who purchased and legally own Guitar Pro. Just sayin'.

Zappp: Do you really think that people who made these 100K files and uploaded to UG to get feedback/thank you comment/rating/etc would appreciate that?

No, they obviously don't.

Zappp: Same is Tab Pro - you don't have to download, you don't have to wait for GP to open, you don't need to change windows -- click and it's there right in your browser. listen learn play.

Okay, but I already have Guitar Pro, so I've experienced the obvious superiority (and originality) of Arobas software and am not willing to buy into Tab Pro. When I sit down for a jam, one of the first things I would do is open Guitar Pro; I can then instantly view downloaded tabs. It's not as if I have to go through the processes of opening a large program every time I download a tab, this makes it just as convenient as Tab Pro.

Guitar Pro is far its superior. Sound banks; MIDI-editor, where do you think the latest Black Sabbath album tab that Leftfordead86 was talking about came from, Guitar Pro 6, perhaps? That's a given considering Guitar Pro tabs are being converted into Tab Pro and played in the exact program you speak of; the list could go on and I'm sure all of its users will vouch for that.

Last edited by Surrealistic : 04-15-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #87
Arunas

I don't know how much money you guys need, or for what reason other than maintaining this website, but have you considered setting yearly donation goals and just losing all this new *cough* "stuff" ?
Arunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #88
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealistic
Okay, but I already have Guitar Pro, so I've experienced the obvious superiority (and originality) of Arobas software and am not willing to buy into Tab Pro.

I see your logic - If I already own gibson les paul can you please stop displaying that banner. Or if I already have Bud in my refrigerator can you please stop that TV commercial right in the middle of the game? there are people who start using Tab Pro instead of Guitar Pro because of the commercial, believe it or not.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #89
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Guitar Pro is far its superior. Sound banks; MIDI-editor, where do you think the latest Black Sabbath album tab that Leftfordead86 was talking about came from, Guitar Pro 6, perhaps? That's a given considering Guitar Pro tabs are being converted into Tab Pro and played in the exact program you speak of; the list could go on and I'm sure all of its users will vouch for that.

Two extra things: first off, we are adding sound banks for Tab Pro. Like this week. Second, I'm not saying it's right to make those people wait who create these files. We are fixing that! If you are using GP to create files and share with the commuinty through UG - that's fine and perfect, you are not only getting ad free, faster browsing, but you are also getting a way to check other GP songs right in your browser without a need to download anything. If you are using GP just to play songs and not to create - it's worth checking alternative which costs x3 less per year than GP ($30 vs. $100) and you also don't need to upgrade your GP every couple years which is another $60). You get software, free upgrades, free updates, access to the entire catalog in a hassle free way.

Fair enough?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #90
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad
Fair enough, but could you disable that 15 seconds thing at least for tab moderators? Because when we're gonna vote for gp files in tpa which we already have other versions, it's gonna be boring to wait for every tab.
We somehow get over it.

absolutely!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #91
Surrealistic

Quote:
I see your logic - If I already own gibson les paul can you please stop displaying that banner. Or if I already have Bud in my refrigerator can you please stop that TV commercial right in the middle of the game? there are people who start using Tab Pro instead of Guitar Pro because of the commercial, believe it or not.

No, my logic isn't quite that basic.

I'm talking about the users who obviously have absolutely no intention of purchasing anything from UG, and visits solely to share the tabs they themselves created which provide the foundation for UG's website.

Is the home page banner and the direct link (see image below) to the trial & buy now section on every tab the website hosts not enough for everyone to consider the software being advertised to them (Including the user I just described)? I'm sure we all agree that it meets its intended purpose. However, the fifteen seconds of advertising UG forces us to view in a last ditch attempt to capitalize is beyond unnecessary.

As innocent as that helpful little control panel looks it is in fact an advertisement. UG has placed it on all of the tabs they host and is a direct link to their sales pitch. None of the controls even work!

== In response to your second post==

Fair enough?

No, not fair enough. You only cater to me if I use your software. Yet you're more than happy to take user created tablature, repackage it and sell it back to us though Tab Pro.

Why not give us the freewill to decide which software we want to use. We created the catalog, why shouldn't we view it on our own terms.

Last edited by Surrealistic : 04-15-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #92
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Quote:

But really the main reason (and certainly why I use GP) is because these programs audibly play the tab, so we can make judgments straight away as to whether or not the tab is correct. 2nd then comes a way in which we can edit these tabs as well as create our own, but that's not the point (because you can also do that with ascii tabs). The MAIN thing that separates ascii tabs and GP is that in GP you can HEAR what is written in the tab.

So my point being, by advertising in such a way to GP users, who have already really have a program that have the function they want, which is a tab reader they can hear, you're kinda targeting the wrong audience. Now, of course you need to keep making money to keep this site running, so I agree you need to advertise (in a tactful way) But instead of advertising to the GP user to use your Tab Pro product, instead advertise to the much BIGGER audience of ascii tab users.

Now that makes logical sense because those users don't have a tab reader with play back and I'm sure the main criticism ascii tab users will have with the ascii format is that they have to physically go through and play a tab to see whether it's correct or not. So by you going straight to those type of users and saying 'look, we understand the problem you have and we have a product which is cheap and is a good solution to your problem.' And I'd imagine the amount of users who would jump at that chance would be enough to cover the overheads of many things on the site. I mean say you have 50,000 visitors to your site a day who use ascii tabs, and your marketing campaign persuades 5000 of those users to try Tab Pro and they sign up to the $2.99 option for one month. Well then you've made almost $15000 for that month. That is just an example of course as I don't know the actual statistics of this site.

But my point being is that I'm not saying 'throw out all adverts and go to hell', but to actually make you consider that you're targeting the wrong people on the site and are doing so a tad too aggressively. (And just a side note, I'd imagine from having talked to a few people, that GP users who have switched to Tab Pro have done so just to see what its like, rather then thinking that they've found an all better solution to GP)

Hopefully you see that I'm trying to work with you rather then criticize you and maybe this might get the ball rolling in another direction.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #93
Surrealistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrown93
But my point being is that I'm not saying 'throw out all adverts and go to hell', but to actually make you consider that you're targeting the wrong people on the site and are doing so a tad too aggressively.

I would like to further emphasize this point by saying once again that my concern here is not with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

UG forcing any user, targeted or not, for any period of time to view advertisements with the motive of gathering revenue before said user can access content which the author intended to be free is unacceptable.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #94
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory

Quote:
I would like to further emphasize this point by saying once again that my concern here is not with simple, modest, and informative advertising.

UG forcing any user, targeted or not, for any period of time to view advertisements with the motive of gathering revenue before said user can access content which the author intended to be free is unacceptable.

Yes I understand that totally, and that's why I said they need to be tactful, like you said.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #95
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
we appreciate the work of our contributors and we love our contributors and gonna do anything to please them and show our appreication of their work (list of shiny goodies that doesn't include giving due credit in Tab Pro)

I shouldn't have to mention this a third time, with zapp actively checking this thread.

Tab Pro still fails to sufficiently credit the transcribers that made the tabs that it plays.

Advertising aside, this is still unacceptable, and a violation of UG's own Terms Of Service.

This has yet to be addressed, or even acknowledged, by anyone in this thread.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 04-15-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #96
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Out of curiosity, I just enabled a free subscription from an old PM

This is not the time or place for a slaughtering review, but I will say that it doesn't even open some of the tabs I tried - and those .gpx that do open can't read any variations nor automations, etc (expected from inauthentic software).

Not all tabs or GP versions are available in tab pro archive either.
Where I'm going with this is that, if people should get this sort of pop-up advertisement when downloading a tab, it's probably a good idea that
1) The tab they're looking for actually is in the TP database
2) The tab works
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #97
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Out of curiosity, I just enabled a free subscription from an old PM

This is not the time or place for a slaughtering review, but I will say that it doesn't even open some of the tabs I tried - and those .gpx that do open can't read any variations nor automations, etc (expected from inauthentic software).

Not all tabs or GP versions are available in tab pro archive either.
Where I'm going with this is that, if people should get this sort of pop-up advertisement when downloading a tab, it's probably a good idea that
1) The tab they're looking for actually is in the TP database
2) The tab works

what tabs specifically didn't work/open in tab pro?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #98
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

What would it take to get you to even acknowledge the lack of attribution, zapp? If you want a separate thread for it, just say so. Do you have me ignored or something?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #99
redhark

For all of you rebelling against Tab Pro adverts - thank you.
I've been on other threads concerning the issue and each time I see people commenting sh*t like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
Oh no, 15 seconds. Seriously. A quarter of a ****ing minute. It's such a miniscule amount of time.

I liked to not be forced to wait to get my download. Worse is that it doesn't let you do anything else - if you open a new browser tab, or do something else on your computer, the counter freezes and picks up again when you get back to it - it's B.S.

Fear not. I've got a solution.

Here's the basic steps:
[redacted]

Next time you come across a file you want to download in UG, it'll give you the direct download link LIKE IT USED TO!

(if someone can, please distribute this workaround to the community - I'm sure many will be pleased with this)
redhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #100
jonathan.keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHellbound
I guess I'm going back to typing out the URL to download what I need. It's how I got all the Dethklok GPs that were pulled but never actually deleted.

Go on?
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: