Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Handy_Andy

How best to complain to GC?

Okay, so here's the timeline

4/09 - I buy a used amp and cabinet from GC's website, they are at different stores, about 3 hours after I place my order I get an email along the lines of, "The amp you ordered is in a different store than the one listed on the used item page, one of the store's managers will call you no later than tonight or tomorrow to confirm your purchase."

4/10 - no contact

4/11 - no contact

4/12 - no contact

4/13 - I had been busy with work and honestly forgot about the GC situation, I check my order and see that neither the amp nor cabinet has shipped out. I get the number for the IL store my amp was supposed to ship from and call, they tell me they were waiting for me to call, suggest I call the NY store my amp was listed as being at

I call the NY store and their manager tells me the IL manager was told to call me, but he says he'll call them ASAP and get back to me. He does so and says the IL manager will make sure it's shipped out on monday and apologizes for the delay

4/14 - I call the shop that had the cabinet I ordered and asked why it hadn't shipped yet, the manager had no good answer for me, but assured me it would ship monday

So today I give both stores phone calls and they both say my items will be shipped... Tomorrow I ask them what the hell is up and they give me the usual, "well the order had some issues with confirmation, bad inter-store communication, sorry for the issues" type thing.

So considering that UPS shipping is 4-6 business days, at best I'll be getting my shit on the 19th, if it doesn't make it here before the weekend I get it the 22nd or later. Thats 10-14 days from when I placed my order.

I don't want to be a dick, because I know being a retail/commissions employee can suck, but I'd like to complain and get my shipping reimbursed or a coupon/gift card or something... So should I voice my complaint via the online universal customer service, or do it with the store managers themselves?
Handy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Call the stores that the items are from and ask for a partial refund. Worst they can say is no.

I have had nothing but good experiences ordering from various GC stores, but I always call the store the item is in and order from them directly.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I would have asked for faster shipping... Too late if they really did ship it.

Next try for a free shirt or gift card.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Handy_Andy

@Robb

I've had similarly good experiences with GC, hence why I don't wanna be like, "rabble rabble I want $1000 of free stuff." Though having worked in retail stuff myself I kind of know I would be getting my ass roasted for doing this kind of stuff, so I don't feel bad trying to get some kind of compensation

I did end up calling the store managers any how. They didn't end up refunding anything, but I will be receiving some free cables, straps and a shirt in both boxes. Good enough for me. I just wanted to know they cared
Handy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
monwobobbo

sadly this is the downside to order online. I bought an amp from GC a couple months back and that turned into a project. the amp was at my GC so I go and say ok I have a trade in ( they had one of their trade in days with bonus for trading in stuff) go through the process ok great. hmm.. better test the amp to make sure all is well. hmmm... WTF no sound coming from amp. ok they say it worked when it came in but obviously not now. they'll send it to a tech (at least this was good as it was the best guy in this area). aftr about a month the amp finally comes back. great it works. the sales guy went out of his way to get me a better deal. point being when you deal with people face to face they have to deal with the guilt. online/phone not so much. honestly your having to wait doesn't seem that bad but I would ask what they can do to make up for all the messing around you had to go through. don't expect much though.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Andy
@Robb

I've had similarly good experiences with GC, hence why I don't wanna be like, "rabble rabble I want $1000 of free stuff." Though having worked in retail stuff myself I kind of know I would be getting my ass roasted for doing this kind of stuff, so I don't feel bad trying to get some kind of compensation

I did end up calling the store managers any how. They didn't end up refunding anything, but I will be receiving some free cables, straps and a shirt in both boxes. Good enough for me. I just wanted to know they cared

Sweet!
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
dngrsdave

Tie a note around a brick.

Throw brick at GC

Heavy Metal Thunder
dngrsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Guitarbaddie
Words go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrsdave
Tie a note around a brick.

Throw brick at GC

A safer "equivalent" is walking into the store and meeting with someone face-to-face.

It's like breaking up with someone over the internet, it's easier because you don't have to see their face. But if you're getting free swag then you should be alright.
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i got shit from their online site. i bought an ibby prestige 5 rating. it came, it had a retrofitted liscensed floyd, instead of the edge pro or whatever. they said they wouldn't do anything about it, they wounldn't even pay shipping for a second one i got from them. so i got screwed for $30 on shipping, and had to pay $30 for a replacement to ship.

their used section is terrible, i don't think i would do that again.

the first guitar having a tiny retrofitted floyd didn't stick out for an edge pro? really?, 5 stars?

i talked to managers at the store i bought it from, and had my rep talk to him as well as my store manager and they wouldn't do a damn thing.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
TJHague

I've found that they deal with problems rather well. I recently got completely screwed by Pro Coverage. Despite a service center saying that in order for the amp to be fixed, Pro Coverage flat out refused multiple times and sent it to another center and eventually deemed everything "uneconomical" (The price of the manufacturer repair was well within the limit of liability). It was significantly more than what I originally paid if I wanted to replace the amp. Pro Coverage denied any blame, even though it was because they refused to fix it.

Anyway, I emailed GC customer service and I had a check for what I paid for the coverage from Pro Coverage in 4 days.

I think that if you are calm, level-headed, and can make a good argument for why you are being screwed over, they will listen.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup

their used section is the only worthwhile thing they have
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarbaddie
It's like breaking up with someone over the internet, it's easier because you don't have to see their face.

Yeah but that also means no break-up sex.

Have they got an area manager? Maybe escalate the issue to this guy? There is the chance that this issue MIGHT not be the purview of these store managers?

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
I've found that they deal with problems rather well. I recently got completely screwed by Pro Coverage. Despite a service center saying that in order for the amp to be fixed, Pro Coverage flat out refused multiple times and sent it to another center and eventually deemed everything "uneconomical" (The price of the manufacturer repair was well within the limit of liability). It was significantly more than what I originally paid if I wanted to replace the amp. Pro Coverage denied any blame, even though it was because they refused to fix it.

Anyway, I emailed GC customer service and I had a check for what I paid for the coverage from Pro Coverage in 4 days.

I think that if you are calm, level-headed, and can make a good argument for why you are being screwed over, they will listen.

I've got to be honest, I don't see an insurance company refunding your payment when you need them as a 'good deal'.

If that were the case, as soon as one got sick, instead of shelling out for care your insurance company would just give you back what you had paid thus far and send you on your way.

You got screwed and made to feel like you enjoyed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i got shit from their online site. i bought an ibby prestige 5 rating. it came, it had a retrofitted liscensed floyd, instead of the edge pro or whatever. they said they wouldn't do anything about it, they wounldn't even pay shipping for a second one i got from them. so i got screwed for $30 on shipping, and had to pay $30 for a replacement to ship.

the first guitar having a tiny retrofitted floyd didn't stick out for an edge pro? really?, 5 stars?

i talked to managers at the store i bought it from, and had my rep talk to him as well as my store manager and they wouldn't do a damn thing.

Escalate it to Corporate, but be prepared for it to take a little time.

Believe me, it works. Nobody likes Daddy finding out they've been screwing the customers...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the hat. (And a $1000 amp for $154)

Last edited by Arby911 : 04-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
gregs1020
Hi mom!

fling poo.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Kyleisthename

Processing shipments takes time guy.
Don't be so damn impatient.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I've got to be honest, I don't see an insurance company refunding your payment when you need them as a 'good deal'.

If that were the case, as soon as one got sick, instead of shelling out for care your insurance company would just give you back what you had paid thus far and send you on your way.

You got screwed and made to feel like you enjoyed it...

I never said it was a good deal. It was and still is a crappy situation as I've lost a lot of money. I've spoken with the last service center and they are also out a few hundred dollars because Pro Coverage is refusing to pay them.

All I was saying is that GC helped me to at least make the situation a little bit better. Pro Coverage is managed by a company separate for GC, so GC really had no obligation to do anything about it, but they did. I got screwed. Didn't enjoy it. Just trying to look on the bright side.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
gregs1020
Hi mom!

lots and lots of poo.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
I never said it was a good deal. It was and still is a crappy situation as I've lost a lot of money. I've spoken with the last service center and they are also out a few hundred dollars because Pro Coverage is refusing to pay them.

All I was saying is that GC helped me to at least make the situation a little bit better. Pro Coverage is managed by a company separate for GC, so GC really had no obligation to do anything about it, but they did. I got screwed. Didn't enjoy it. Just trying to look on the bright side.

I understand that but you're letting GC off too easy. They sell the Pro Coverage at their storefront, they do indeed have obligations. You've lost money and time and have not been made whole on a GC transaction that you entered into in good faith, I'd say you have a claim...

Your call of course, but there is no way I'd let it slide.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
lots and lots of poo.

This.

It works and occasionally gets people, i.e me, fired.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I understand that but you're letting GC off too easy. They sell the Pro Coverage at their storefront, they do indeed have obligations. You've lost money and time and have not been made whole on a GC transaction that you entered into in good faith, I'd say you have a claim...

Your call of course, but there is no way I'd let it slide.

I'm looking at other tactics now. I think I've exhausted what I'm going to get from that front. I'm just trying to be happy that I've gotten that much so far because it could be worse.

Also, I reread my initial post and apparently I suck at proofreading. I talked to the last repair center it was at today and they are the second repair center to say that it would have to be sent to the manufacturer. The necessary part simply is not available except by sending it to them. The first one said this as well and Pro Coverage just ignored when I told them this... multiple times.

Rate This Thread: