Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Escalate it to Corporate, but be prepared for it to take a little time.

Believe me, it works. Nobody likes Daddy finding out they've been screwing the customers...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the hat. (And a $1000 amp for $154)

i have done that before with all sorts of things. for $30 its not worth it. my time is worth more than that. and what i did yielded nothing and decided not to waste more time. getting up guitar center corporate didn't really do much with GC. i tried for 15 minutes and went up the chain, but they said that is how their used gear goes, it is all AS-IS and that is how it goes. no exceptions. which as is means as in. it was an agreement in the contract like everything is.

MF is better. i got five tubes that that were packed poorly and the boxes were scrunched up. all of the tubes were fine though, but i called customer service and complained. five minutes later he says he is sending out a full set of replacements.

than two days later a random customer satisfaction (3rd party) called me. i told them i wasn't very happy in a respectful manner, and he asked if i wanted to forward my report to them. he did. at 4:00 today i was called by a MF rep doing a followup on the complaint. he said don't worry about it, i see you have replacements on the way, i am crediting your account with an extra $30 for your hassles for whatever you need. thanks.

also i price matched (all were JJ's) that came down to like $9.XX, bought three ax7's and two at7's. shy of $50. 10 JJ's for 50$. tomorrow i am going to order more tubes from them with the price match and the credit and it would be 13 JJ for $50 including the credit. all said and done.

with that it took me 20 minutes.

when the renegades were released i had shipping issues, got it brand new for $650 (when it was a $1000 amp). same thing happened with the tweaker, the guy said he couldn't go lower than cost and that is where he was at like $183 or something. i had a 1/2" thin dent on a martin, they threw me back $200. it really wouldn't have bothered me. when MF messed up that one 15% off sale when you could buy E-certificates with the discounts and using the E-certificates to buy at 15% off for the next day, bought $2000 in certificates, hell i got 30.XX% off. from GC i got a 3550MZ Prestige for less than $700 brand new. everybody does it. i am sure we all have a similar list of things.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
MF is better. i got five tubes that that were packed poorly and the boxes were scrunched up. all of the tubes were fine though, but i called customer service and complained. five minutes later he says he is sending out a full set of replacements.

than two days later a random customer satisfaction (3rd party) called me. i told them i wasn't very happy in a respectful manner, and he asked if i wanted to forward my report to them. he did. at 4:00 today i was called by a MF rep doing a followup on the complaint. he said don't worry about it, i see you have replacements on the way, i am crediting your account with an extra $30 for your hassles for whatever you need. thanks.

MF will (almost) always be better to deal with than GC, even though they are effectively the same company, since GC has a huge storefront overhead that MF doesn't, giving MF vastly more leeway per transaction.

It's been told to me that MF is actually the warehouse function of GC and that they simply slapped an ordering frontend on it to make it a profit center. I don't KNOW if that's the case, but it makes sense to me.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
Robbgnarly

Actually MF, Guitar Center and Music 123 are owned by the same company (I think Same Day music is also with them)

I use all 3 and I also really like ZZounds.com, American musical supply
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Actually MF, Guitar Center and Music 123 are owned by the same company (I think Same Day music is also with them)

I use all 3 and I also really like ZZounds.com, American musical supply

Yeah, GC bought MF, MF later bought M123.

IIRC, Same Day is not a part of the GC group (But is affiliated with ZZounds and AMS), but I may be wrong.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Several years ago, I went into the GC in Reno, Nevada.
I wanted to get an Eminence Ragin Cagin for my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT.
They didn't have it in stock.
Numerous phone calls and 4+ weeks later, it came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Handy_Andy

So I get my JCM2000 DSL100 today

and it doesn't freaking work, I'm 99% sure it's just a broken input jack, but it's still kind of lame after going through a bit of trouble getting it, I'm gonna return it at my local GC and get my money back, gonna make sure I make any future orders via calling the store that has what I want, I think it'd be less error prone :s
Handy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Andy

and it doesn't freaking work, I'm 99% sure it's just a broken input jack, but it's still kind of lame after going through a bit of trouble getting it, I'm gonna return it at my local GC and get my money back, gonna make sure I make any future orders via calling the store that has what I want, I think it'd be less error prone :s

That freaking sucks...

Why do you think it's the input jack?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
Handy_Andy

I checked the cab, cables and guitar and they were good. Next step was making sure tubes were in, power cord connected correctly, etc etc. I checked the fuses and they were fine.

Then I noticed that I didn't get scratchy sounds from the speakers when I touched the other end of a patch cable I had plugged into the input jack. Usually if you touch the end it produces a distinctive gkrkrksksshsh sound.

I could probably do a short video once I get off work showing my troubleshooting though, in case I'm just dumb and did something wrong >__>
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #29
Robbgnarly

Quote:
I checked the cab, cables and guitar and they were good. Next step was making sure tubes were in, power cord connected correctly, etc etc. I checked the fuses and they were fine.

Then I noticed that I didn't get scratchy sounds from the speakers when I touched the other end of a patch cable I had plugged into the input jack. Usually if you touch the end it produces a distinctive gkrkrksksshsh sound.

I could probably do a short video once I get off work showing my troubleshooting though, in case I'm just dumb and did something wrong >__>

Have you plugged your guitar cable into the FX return jack? Try this if you get sound with your guitar, the preamp section is dodgy. If you get no sound, the power section is messed up.

I have an older DSL100 and I actually had part of the powersection blow and have to be rewired. This was about 2 months after I bought it
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Have you plugged your guitar cable into the FX return jack? Try this if you get sound with your guitar, the preamp section is dodgy. If you get no sound, the power section is messed up.

I have an older DSL100 and I actually had part of the powersection blow and have to be rewired. This was about 2 months after I bought it

Yeah. The FX loop is a godsend for diagnosis.

Everything lights up on the switches? Do you see the tubes glow?

If crank the volume you don't hear anything from the speakers?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

damn. that sucks. i am getting even more leery of GC's used department.

i hope you have better luck than i have had.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #32
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrsdave
Tie a note around a brick.

Throw brick at GC

Try making a suggestion to do something more.... I dunno...... legal, next time?
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist : 04-19-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #33
Handy_Andy

Plugging my guitar into the return jack = sound, none of the front knobs effect anything.

so what does this mean? I get the feeling that's a worse problem than the input jack being bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #34
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Plugging my guitar into the return jack = sound, none of the front knobs effect anything.

so what does this mean? I get the feeling that's a worse problem than the input jack being bad.

So you could hear it? Maybe a preamp tube then. Do you have a spare? They are 10 bucks.

Does the input jack feel funny?

Have you seated and un seated the preamp tube? (pull them out and then reinstall them)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #35
Handy_Andy

Yes, I could hear it. I'm letting it cool down a bit before I mess with the tubes. As far as I could tell, two of the preamp tubes were NOT glowing. I have a couple spares laying about that I'll try if they aren't just loose.

And no, the input jack feels fine. It was just my conclusion because everything else seemed 100%
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #36
Handy_Andy

Tried the 4 stock tubes and 2 spares in about 10 different configurations, no luck.

Edit: I mistook a dead set of preamp tubes for my spares, my real spares were in a cheap crate amp I had, used them to test and found the phase inverter in the jcm2000 was the culprit, it works now

Last edited by Handy_Andy : 04-19-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #37
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Tried the 4 stock tubes and 2 spares in about 10 different configurations, no luck.

Edit: I mistook a dead set of preamp tubes for my spares, my real spares were in a cheap crate amp I had, used them to test and found the phase inverter in the jcm2000 was the culprit, it works now

All good? Get some JJ's up in that bitch. Eurotubes or tubedepot. Tube depot was having a sale earlier this week, not sure if its still going on.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #38
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Awesome, good news indeed. Marshalls for everyone!

TS, as R45VT said, JJ is the way to go on most any Marshall, as far as cheap tubes go.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #39
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Awesome, good news indeed. Marshalls for everyone!

TS, as R45VT said, JJ is the way to go on most any Marshall, as far as cheap tubes go.

Yeah JJ's for preamp. If you can afford sed=C= get those for the power amp. If not, then JJ's.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
Handy_Andy

I went with all JJs, full set for <$100 on tube depot. The other stock tubes work, but I can tell they're pretty old. The amp is from 2003 and they're all stock "marshall" tubes.

Rate This Thread: