Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
bobcrackchuc

1 month in

Hey UG, I'm 13 years old, and I've been playing the guitar seriously for about a month. I'm getting a little frustrated with my playing, because I'm trying to do more complex things. I can play the solo to Teen Spirit, a pretty good amount of Green Day, a few Metallica riffs and rhythm parts, the Stairway to Heaven intro, and the hardest thing I can play is run through the Iron Man by Black Sabbath (It sounds pretty bad, but I get the notes out)

I'm just a little discouraged, because I really want to be able to play in a band when I'm 16.

So my question is, where were all of you when you were a month into playing?
bobcrackchuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

None of us are ever satisfied with how good we are, be it a month in, or 10 years in. I can't think of a single guitar player who is content with his ability. I've been playing 4 years and i know i'm not.
Jeez when i was a month in my playing.. For some reason i bought a sheet music book and started doing exercises playing one string a day doing shitty exercises like 0-1-3 on the low e for hours a day.. After a couple weeks i thought **** this... So a month into my playing i hadn't even started playing any songs lol.
There's no level you should be achieving at a set time so you should really ignore that idea. It's not like guitar hero where you can play "expert" songs in a week.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I sucked for like a year after buying my first guitar.
Any progress is good, don't get discouraged, music isn't a competition, there's ALWAYS gonna be someone better than you, etc.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

dont stress it man. I have been playing for more then 10 years. Your will never be completely happy with what you can do trust me.
Just keep working at it.

I would do allot of youtube searches and as well on this website on proper ways to practice. It really is a learning experience just to figure that out.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
CageTheGates

Don't worry about playing in a band, you should try to improve your guitar technique, and try get used to what different chords/notes sound like. Pay attention to what you like from artists musically so you can learn to play in that style... its not always about covers, you should try to jam and come up with musical ideas... etc. As far as playing with other people, I say take the opportunity to play with others when you can and when you feel confident, try to start a band or organize a group of buddies to jam with so you psuh yourself more with your guitar playing.
CageTheGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Chill, wow you've found the guitar at only 13 years of age I didn't even start until twice that!
Keep playing if you enjoy it, play the stuff you like. Getting good/decent is a long process and it can be frustrating to not be able to play what you want. Take it your own pace, the skill comes gradually. How long you've been playing (in months or years) doesn't matter. Some people will have played casually for 10 years and all they do is strum chords, while another player can perhaps practice all day and nail Canon Rock in a year.

One month in, well I was playing Green Day on acoustic with terrible technique

Tons of resources on this site - reading the forums regularly helps, learning tabs&transcribing, the justin guitar site, etc. There's just a massive amount of material online these days. Best of luck!
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
supersac

dont worry dude if you keep going like you are now youll be playing just fine by 16

theres not real progress that you SHOULD be at but you seem to be progressing at least just keep it up

at a months playing i was about the same skill level you are now if it matters(it doesnt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
ukukuk
Banned

[forbidden link]
Discount GHD,CHI,gucci clothing,fashion juicy couture suit for cheap
new designer prada t-shirts,diesel true religion men jeans with low price
on sale ed hardy clothing,burberry women t-shirts,christian audigier suits
high quality timberland boots and so on.
[forbidden link]
There is no best,only better.
Buy it ASAP.
[forbidden link]
Hope this is useful for you
ukukuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
purplecashew

If you stick with guitar for three years, you'd definitely be able to keep up in a band.
You don't need to be THAT great to be in a band - just look at the Ramones, ~four powerchords per song and beyond-simple melodies, but they're still great.
Just stick with it, play stuff you like, and enjoy.
purplecashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I think you're expectations about learning to play are a little hopeful to say the least. 1 month is nothing, you'll be crap at the moment but that's completely normal - everyone is crap at the beginning!

Learning to play the guitar is hard, those songs you're wanting to learn? Those guys had been playing for YEARS when they wrote them so really, is it any wonder you can't play them after just a month?

For now focus on getting the basics down, learn your chords so you can play through a few sime songs and get to grips with the mechanics of it all, build up some finger strength and work on fretting and picking cleanly and accurately making sure your notes are ringing out.

Like others have said, there is no such thing as how good you "should" be, how good you are is a direct reflection on how long you've been playing and how well you've been practicing in that time. In all honesty it'll likely take 3-6 months simply for the guitar to start feeling natural in your hands and that's when the real progress starts. It will just feel like a stupid big lump of awkward wood with barbed wire on it for a little while yet, you just need to keep working with it until it starts to feel like it's supposed to be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
bondmorkret

Cool topic. I don't really remember since I've been playing since I was a child, but after a month or so, most of my students are still working on basic open string chord shapes, the usual entry level riffs and pentatonic scales
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrackchuc
Hey UG, I'm 13 years old, and I've been playing the guitar seriously for about a month. I'm getting a little frustrated with my playing, because I'm trying to do more complex things. I can play the solo to Teen Spirit, a pretty good amount of Green Day, a few Metallica riffs and rhythm parts, the Stairway to Heaven intro, and the hardest thing I can play is run through the Iron Man by Black Sabbath (It sounds pretty bad, but I get the notes out)

I'm just a little discouraged, because I really want to be able to play in a band when I'm 16.

So my question is, where were all of you when you were a month into playing?

One of the best ways to practice: Start a band now! You will learn how to play with other musicians and offcourse you have to have good practice because otherwise your bandmembers will be superpissed. You'll develop your own way of correct practice when you have the obligation of a band.
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
J_W

If you can play everything you listed after a month I would say you're doing very well. Just keep at it. How good you get is a direct result of how much effort you put in.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: