Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Tpiz

Is this normal?

I bought a blues junior amp a few months back an recently when I've played it with my pedals it makes a huge amount of noise when I am using gain. It's like a high pitched squeeling and if I put the tube screamer when the amp is already over driven it just produces a horrible noise. Sounds alright clean but soon as I put gain on and turn the volume up its incredibly noisy and feedback/squeals. Also my reverb tends to make alot of noise when I turn that on.

What could all this Be? Also does this even sound like a fault or are they not designed to run alot a gain without feeding back?

Thanks in advance
Tpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
6505fiz

Microphonic tube possibly... not sure how the Blues Jr works in terms of channel switching. It could be a connection issue, possibly in your chain.

Probably a tube though... pull all the tubes CAREFULLY and reseat them. (watch vids on youtube for how to do this)
6505fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Ya that's definitely not normal. It does sound like a bad tube could be responsible. With the amp on, tap each of the preamp tubes with a pencil eraser (or anything rubber so as not to cause damage) and listen. If the 'tap' comes through the speaker then that tube is microphonic and needs replacing.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
acdc51502112

These guys have no idea what they're saying. If you're using that much gain (since you're cranking the blues jr and using a tubescreamer) you're going to get a lot of feed back. I had the same sort of situation when I got my first tube amp. The only way around this is to get a noise suppressor pedal. I use the Boss NS-2, but a lot of people also like the ISP Decimator. This will clear up most of that noise and squealing. If it was a tube it would be doing that without the pedal on and on the clean channel.
2006 Epiphone G-400
acdc51502112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Could be a preamp tube. Could just be solved with a noise suppressor. Your description is vague and the only great way to give you advice on what to do is for you to post a video of said issues.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
6505fiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc51502112
These guys have no idea what they're saying. If you're using that much gain (since you're cranking the blues jr and using a tubescreamer) you're going to get a lot of feed back. I had the same sort of situation when I got my first tube amp. The only way around this is to get a noise suppressor pedal. I use the Boss NS-2, but a lot of people also like the ISP Decimator. This will clear up most of that noise and squealing. If it was a tube it would be doing that without the pedal on and on the clean channel.

Whoa, slow down bro... you don't know that I don't know what I'm talking about. None of us know the problem, we're tossing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Why did I conclude what I did?

Simple, because he used the word "recently", he's had the amp for months and has not experienced this issue.

Feedback, as you suggested was a thought of mine as well, however, it makes little sense that all of a sudden he would be experiencing feedback when for months now he has not.

It is possible something in his configuration has changed, but as he did not say that I can not conclude that.

It's not totally unusual for a tube amp to produce feedback at higher volumes not because of noise in the signal but rather, BAD TUBES.

...another issue might be the reverb tank introducing feedback into the signal, which is something a noise suppressor would not resolve.
6505fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

"We're tossing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks." I gotta remember that one.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Tpiz

Yeah the amp has not always been like this. At one point I could have my big muff on a dirty amp with the tube screamer on top and it wouldn't be as bad as it is now with the ts on the dirty amp alone. The amp has had some bumps into the back of the car but nothing massive. Also the only thing that's changed is the power supply but I don't see that being the problem.. When I first got the amp I was amazed with the sound now im meh.. I've hardly even used the thing probably 10 times in rehearsals tops as its too loud for home use anyhow..

I could post a video tommorow if I have chance. Thanks for help so far
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Really sounds like a preamp tube(s) to me...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Tpiz

Is this a easy fix? And how much would I be looking at spending? Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpiz
Is this a easy fix? And how much would I be looking at spending? Thanks

How many preamp tubes does it have? I've payed $15-$45 for each...depends on what brand you go with. Groove tubes are a good deal.

Edit: Check them out on Ebay...BUT, it might not be the preamp tube(s)...post a video when you can to more accurately describe this conundrum.

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-19-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Tpiz

I think Theres 5 tubes in total in there from what I remember. Ill post a video tommorow. By the way when I press on the tube screamer even if the strings are muted the high pitched squeal still happens if this is any use. Ill post a video tommorow when I get chance thanks alot for help so far dude
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Have you messed around with the Tubescreamer settings?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
I think Theres 5 tubes in total in there from what I remember. Ill post a video tommorow. By the way when I press on the tube screamer even if the strings are muted the high pitched squeal still happens if this is any use. Ill post a video tommorow when I get chance thanks alot for help so far dude

GT's are rebranded as well as ruby and Mesa.

JJ's, Tung-Sols... Shungans(sp) make their own.

Try tapping on the preamp tubes with the shields off if it has any. With the amp on and FX loop active see if you can hear the taps coming through the speaker. If so the tube has gone microphonic. Use the eraser end of a pencil.

Last edited by R45VT : 04-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Tpiz

Nope I've always used the same TS settings. The gain all the way down and the volume all the way up I believe.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Dimarzio45
Finally Divorced Peggy

Quote:
Nope I've always used the same TS settings. The gain all the way down and the volume all the way up I believe.

Well......you should really start there.

Occam's Razor.

Edit: Does the amp still behave the same way without the Tubescreamer?

Last edited by Dimarzio45 : 04-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Tpiz

I've always used those tube screamer settings. It's more a volume boost than a huge boost in gain. And yeah it definitely isn't the way it used to be. I can't put the drive up full with the fat switch on and turn the amp loud without alot of noise. Surely this can't be acceptable.. I've had amps in the past that never feedback or make queels like this.. Plus I use the tube screamer on a dirty amp on my line 6 pod on my computer and I never get those awful squeals then. Ill a video tommorow to give a better idea though :p
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #18
Tpiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
GT's are rebranded as well as ruby and Mesa.

JJ's, Tung-Sols... Shungans(sp) make their own.

Try tapping on the preamp tubes with the shields off if it has any. With the amp on and FX loop active see if you can hear the taps coming through the speaker. If so the tube has gone microphonic. Use the eraser end of a pencil.

Thnks. Ill do it tommorow it's 1 in morning here probably a bit too late haha don't wanna be pissing the neighbours off.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Thnks. Ill do it tommorow it's 1 in morning here probably a bit too late haha don't wanna be pissing the neighbours off.

An example can be found here.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...troubleshooting
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Tpiz

I actually found out the power supply was causing the feedback and squealing. I have changed the power supply and that problem is gone however when using my ds2 the reverb channel is acting as a tone control. What could be causing this??

Rate This Thread: