Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Martis93

Is owning only one 7 string enough?

I currently have 2 six string guitars - one I never play (cheap Washburn, not a good guitar, it was my first) and one I always play. I am planning to buy a 7 soon and sell the good six string. Will that one guitar be enough for me? Are there certain things one cannot do on a 7 that can be done on a 6 string?
Just a note: I am going to be making a living out of music, I practise guitar everyday for a minimum of 4 hours. Do your hands get tired faster from a 7 string or is it the same except you have to get used to the wider neck?
Martis93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martis93
Just a note: I am going to be making a living out of music, I practise guitar everyday for a minimum of 4 hours. Do your hands get tired faster from a 7 string or is it the same except you have to get used to the wider neck?

How, if you don't mind me asking?

A 7 really has the same restraints as any six string, it just has another string. People would buy more if the wanted a different sound or feel or look or whatever.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
MicahChaney
UG's Worst Title

Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

That being said, I like to use a variety of tunings and therefore I have multiple guitars that are set up for those specific tunings.
MicahChaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
omnilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahChaney
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

That was good.

omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
How, if you don't mind me asking?

A 7 really has the same restraints as any six string, it just has another string. People would buy more if the wanted a different sound or feel or look or whatever.

No problem. Next year I'm starting a course for music composition abroad. In the meantime, while I'm studying I plan to release a few EP's on Bandcamp, iTunes and such, just to get my name out there and officially start my career, attract some listeners. Perhaps I'll meet some like-minded people and start a band. If not, I'll stick to the original plan to write music for the media (I have a friend who is working in the movie industry, great source for contacts) and continue releasing solo albums. Will see where that goes to. Since all I want to do is music and can't imagine myself doing anything else, I'm working my ass right now to make this come true. Hope that answers your question right.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Yeah it does, from the questions you'd asked about the differences between 6 and 7 strings i just assumed you'd say something like "me and my band are gonna make it big, we've been playing for 2 months and have 90 songs hurr durr" apologies.

what amp do you use?

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

I would keep the six for now. I bought a seven about a year ago, and while it became my main instrument rather quickly, I still have to use my six for certain songs, as my left hand gets exhausted a lot faster with the longer scale length. Particularly songs with wide stretches on the lower frets, or songs with fast moving powerchords.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar
Macabre_Turtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The only thing you can't really do on 7-strings that you might do on a 6-string is thumb-over fretting on that 6th string, à la Hendrix and Clapton. I've forced myself to learn how to do it so I can fret with my thumb on both the 7th and 6th strings, but it's very awkward to do it on the 6th and not somethign I choose to do if I can avoid it. There's also the issue that 7-string pickups have to be voiced to handle that lowest string with clarity, while 6-string pickups aren't made with such a low tuning in mind and can offer more choice in tone.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables
Yeah it does, from the questions you'd asked about the differences between 6 and 7 strings i just assumed you'd say something like "me and my band are gonna make it big, we've been playing for 2 months and have 90 songs hurr durr" apologies.

what amp do you use?

Np, I know the questions are kinda ridiculous but I personally don't think that an extra string is the only difference. I mean the wideness of the neck should affect your playing. But yeah, I've never played a 7 before. I'm using a Marshall MG 50 DFX. Bad players say it's a bad amp, but if you know how to tweak it right and have some skills, it can sound killer. Not with the speaker that it comes with though. DI + impulse responses can give amazing results.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
cip 123

Its the same as 6's you might buy another one for different features I.E. Hardtail then you buy one with a tremolo. Also if you're buying it cause you want to make a living as a session musician remember a lot of guys actually still use a Strat or a Les Paul in to a Marshall or something. As MrFibble said it can be hard to "thumb" but it depends on your hands and what kind of neck you've got I can thumb on an 8 string since I have pretty large hands.
cip 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
xkovacsx09
Tater Salad

I own one 7 string, yet I still want another. And it's really not that huge of a transition from 6 strings.
xkovacsx09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip 123
Its the same as 6's you might buy another one for different features I.E. Hardtail then you buy one with a tremolo. Also if you're buying it cause you want to make a living as a session musician remember a lot of guys actually still use a Strat or a Les Paul in to a Marshall or something. As MrFibble said it can be hard to "thumb" but it depends on your hands and what kind of neck you've got I can thumb on an 8 string since I have pretty large hands.

No, not a session musician. And I don't use my thumb when playing, so I guess I won't have any big problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Np, I know the questions are kinda ridiculous but I personally don't think that an extra string is the only difference. I mean the wideness of the neck should affect your playing. But yeah, I've never played a 7 before. I'm using a Marshall MG 50 DFX. Bad players say it's a bad amp, but if you know how to tweak it right and have some skills, it can sound killer. Not with the speaker that it comes with though. DI + impulse responses can give amazing results.

That would depend on the fret board radius. A fret board with a 20" radius like the 7 string I ordered would feel significantly flatter compared to lets say a 6 string fender which may have something as small as a 9 1/2 inch radius and the fender would feel much rounder. Another consideration is neck shape, some necks have a C shape (feels a little rounder) while others have more of a D shape (feels a little flatter) and the preference is pretty much up to the player.
I will say this, the adjustment period from a 6 to a 7 isn't as bad as people think and the fretboard isn't dramatically bigger. Unless you have unbelievably small hands I don't think you'll have any problem. If you have doubts about the neck, find out the specs on your guitar so you see what you're use to and find a 7 string that isn't too much bigger. I've seen 7's with 14'' radius offered by Carvin which is close to my 6 string Gibson's 12'' so it really isn't a huge leap in my opinion. Just gotta do a little research to find what you think will feel right for you.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:

No, it's a bad amp.

If you like it, more power to you, but you can do (MUCH) better!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
No, it's a bad amp.

If you like it, more power to you, but you can do (MUCH) better!

You bad player you!
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
You bad player you!

Well, that too, but at least I have good gear to mask it...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:

Have you played this amp at band volumes? A lot of amps sound fine for practising but then it all falls apart when you actually want some decent volume out of it.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Have you played this amp at band volumes? A lot of amps sound fine for practising but then it all falls apart when you actually want some decent volume out of it.

No and I don't plan to. It's not for gigging man, it's for recording. I don't use it's speaker at all, except like you said, for practise.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I would actually rather use an MG for gigs, where it's going to be hidden within the wall of band sound, rather than recording where it gets to stand on its own. I don't think I would ever dare to use an MG direct.

And hell, I use a Line 6...

Believe me, you do not want to use a 7-string with an MG. That 7th string is going to get awfully fuzzy. There's nowt wrong with solid states—in fact I prefer them for lower tunings and extended scale guitars—but MGs aren't built with that low B (or lower) in mind. Direct or otherwise, that low string is going to splutter and mush out.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
No and I don't plan to. It's not for gigging man, it's for recording. I don't use it's speaker at all, except like you said, for practise.

I think you would be a lot better off using a VST plugin like Guitar Rig for recording. You might think your setup sounds ok as it is. I remember when I started recording, I used the microphone from one of those VoIP headsets, and I used to think that sounded awesome! But honestly, once you start using something like GR, you won't want to look back.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 04-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: