User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #41
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martis93
What most of you are doing right now is pathetic. I guess you don't realise that not every one can afford an Axe FX or some fortune-costing Mesa Boogie etc. Sure I'll upgrade when I have the money, but I have to start with what I have. Who brain****ed you to believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a good tone out of entry-level equipment? I'm not talking about micing a starter amp, I'm talking about using an FX processor going into the amp and then recording the amp direct. Ofcourse it's easier to sound good with good equipment and it can be challenging to get a great tone out of cheaper stuff, but if you're willing to try, it is possible. I know I probably shouldn't be replying because atleast one of you is trolling, but damn people. Go listen to David Maxim Micic and try to convince me he has a bad tone.

I just played a gig with a Vox AC4. It's cheaper than an MG. But it sounds a lot better. This isn't about price. You ARE talking about running through a starter amp FX processor.

You can't say you're going to turn this into a career if you ask such basic questions about guitars and believe an MG will hold up against other musicians gear. Because they will hire the other guy.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #42
ABWFProductions

You guys also seem to be missing the point that his plan isn't to go into session work, it's to compose for media. By the time he gets to that point I'm sure he will of upgraded his gear. Also, writing for media (for any work I've done anyway) has largely not been guitar based.

But seriously, MG's suck.
ABWFProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #43
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

I think the point is that he should have a better knowledge of the tools of his trade.

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Old 04-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #44
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetToJables

I think the point is that he should have a better knowledge of the tools of his trade.

practice first, gear later.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #45
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

This thread isn't about practice, it's about buying gear.

If he wants to become a musician as a career option, then he needs to know gear.
If a builder didn't know anything about his tools he would do a bad job and you wouldn't hire him.

Practice and gear are completely unrelated things. I don't really see why you have to ahve one, then the other...

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #46
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

While I admire the enthusiasm I feel that TS is being a little bit optimistic about the future.

Get a band. Release EP, make money. You've got one in a million chance of that happening. Don't plan stuff out my friend, see where it goes. There's hundreds of factors that need to collide at the right time for you to be successful in any way in music. And you've gotta compete with hundreds of other bands just in your city who want the same thing who might be better than you.

That being said, aim high but don't expect it all. Work hard, have a realistic backup and see where the tide takes you.

I have a few friends in a band, they've been touring Europe for a few years, they've got somewhat of a following but they're late 20s now, they haven't progressed very far even though they've got a following and they all live at home and they're finally coming to terms with the fact they probably won't make it, but now they've got no options. They can either go back to school or work minimum wage jobs, a few of them stack shelves at night now.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but they all wished they'd gone to school at the same time as playing in their band. They're all smart but their options are all very limited. There's nothing wrong with a backup, it's the smart thing to do.

Good luck.

Get a new amp. X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 04-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martis93
What most of you are doing right now is pathetic. I guess you don't realise that not every one can afford an Axe FX or some fortune-costing Mesa Boogie etc. Sure I'll upgrade when I have the money, but I have to start with what I have. Who brain****ed you to believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a good tone out of entry-level equipment? I'm not talking about micing a starter amp, I'm talking about using an FX processor going into the amp and then recording the amp direct. Ofcourse it's easier to sound good with good equipment and it can be challenging to get a great tone out of cheaper stuff, but if you're willing to try, it is possible. I know I probably shouldn't be replying because atleast one of you is trolling, but damn people. Go listen to David Maxim Micic and try to convince me he has a bad tone.

Nobody is telling you that you will suck until you can spend megabucks.

What some of us are trying to tell you is that your MG will hold you back, because it's commonly recognized as a very sub-par offering from Marshall for the money.

You need to relax, this isn't a reflection on your skills.

I own an MG50DFX, so it's not like I'm bandwagoning here, I've already been down this road.

Instead of getting defensive, let us help you reach your goals. Believe it or not, there's a lot of good experience here to draw on!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #48
Kyleisthename

If you're using DI guitars for your recordings it's totally fine to not upgrade your amp right now.

I'd definitely look into selling your PRS to get a 7 string if you feel like that's were you want to progress to. I can tell you like Periphery from your Youtube. (Great stuff by the way)

Ignore the talks about getting a new amp unless you plan on playing with a drummer or live anytime soon.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #49
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

We are not saying buy an axe fx or mesa boogie, we are saying that Marshall mgs are pretty much the worst amp in existance with a big name on it. You could pretty much buy ANY SS amp and it will sound better. Every single tube amp in existance sounds better than an mg.
I have a 20 quid Kustom DFX 16 that sounds better than my friend's mg. I have no idea how much the Kustom is new because I got it from a pawn shop, but it's not expensive at all. The amps are sat right next to eachother in my living room. You really can't deny it with a side by side comparison.
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
While I admire the enthusiasm I feel that TS is being a little bit optimistic about the future.

Get a band. Release EP, make money. You've got one in a million chance of that happening. Don't plan stuff out my friend, see where it goes. There's hundreds of factors that need to collide at the right time for you to be successful in any way in music. And you've gotta compete with hundreds of other bands just in your city who want the same thing who might be better than you.

That being said, aim high but don't expect it all. Work hard, have a realistic backup and see where the tide takes you.

I have a few friends in a band, they've been touring Europe for a few years, they've got somewhat of a following but they're late 20s now, they haven't progressed very far even though they've got a following and they all live at home and they're finally coming to terms with the fact they probably won't make it, but now they've got no options. They can either go back to school or work minimum wage jobs, a few of them stack shelves at night now.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but they all wished they'd gone to school at the same time as playing in their band. They're all smart but their options are all very limited. There's nothing wrong with a backup, it's the smart thing to do.

Good luck.

Get a new amp. X

To add to that reality check, let me add my personal perspective: I'm an entertainment lawyer in the USA (and a multi-instrumentalist). And my Mom was a music teacher in New Orleans, so I grew up around the biz, a bit.

What follows is not about crushing dreams, but just about revealing a little bit about the path before you as a professional musician, so you can make informed choices.

1) 90% of all albums released do not turn a profit. If you're in a new band with a typical starting royalty rate, and your album just barely goes gold, the take home from royalties on that will not boost you out of the lower tax brackets.

2) "Making it" involves at least as much luck as talent. I see bands all the time that I'm amazed are not on the radio. They simply haven't been discovered...and most never will be. I was representing an act that was due to do a showcase at an area club, and had convinced a Sony exec to show. The club got hit by thieves the night before the show, and they ripped out the place's sound system and took all the soundboards, mics, etc. They cobbled together some stuff to do the show, but the exec left 5 minutes in because the sound was waaaay off. That act did not make it.

3) The surest way to make a living as a musician is either as a session guy or with a steady gig as someone's house band. Either way, you have to know your stuff.

4) Learn the business side of things as much as you can- having others watch your money is good, but being able to intelligently evaluate what they're doing for you is best.

5) Always be professional. That means don't show up for gigs or rehearsals under the influence, and keep your gear and your person tidy. At least, when you're first meeting someone. Warren Cuccurullo got his job with Frank Zappa in part because he knew his music, but also because he auditioned in a suit & brought his best gear- he looked like a pro. (He then showed up for the first rehearsal in spandex, dyed aqua-net hair, and makeup.)

This, BTW, is where your gear selection can get you in trouble, and why people are ragging on your amp. I don't know your amp. I own a Fender HRD, and want to get an Orange at some point, and that's about it as far as amps go for me. But if others are telling you that the amp has a bad rep, listen to them and find out WHY they are saying what they are saying. If that amp has a bad rep, it can count against you when someone is looking at your résumé, your online profile, or even as you're unpacking your rig to audition. It is a strike against you, and it may even cause a busy pro to pass you over without hearing you. I have seen guys play Slayer on Hello Kitty Strats and Daisy Rock flower guitars, so I know it can be done. But most people auditioning a guitarist to play Slayer style stuff aren't going to take the time to find out if you're one of the guys who can do it. And if someone won't listen to your performance, he will never know that you might be able to change his mind if he would just listen.

You simply won't get the chance, and chances are rarer than talent.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-17-2013 at 03:45 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #51
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

^This. You might think having a crap amp is only a minor detail, but when it's a choice between you and 100 other musicians, that is the sort of shit that is going to stop you from landing jobs. Welcome to the real world.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #52
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I say again, even if you like the tone, 7-string and MGs do not mix well. Those amps simply are not designed with tuning that low in mind, they mush out. Yes, even if you record direct. The preamp simply reacts very poorly—or rather, fails to react—to anything below a low C#.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
practice first, gear later.

Not in the professional world. It's not just in music, it's everything. Nobody hires a photographer who has a point-and-shoot camera. Nobody is going to have much faith in a race car driver who's own car is a burnt out Fiat Panda. Nobody hires a model who dresses like a pillock. It doesn't matter how good someone is once they are put into a working environment with the correct tools. If you don't have the right gear when you first show up, you're not going to get the job in the first place. Saying "oh don't worry, it'll be okay once I'm in the studio" doesn't cut it.

I've witnessed people getting a good tone out of a Fender Frontman. I, myself, use a Line 6 HD147 and when I've made people do a blind test between that and other amps, the only amp that people have consistently preferred the sound of was a Mesa Road King. There's a chap on the jazz circuit here who uses a Squier Strat and a Roland Cube amp; dude is phenomenal. Doesn't matter. People—other musicians—still s****** when he sets up.

Hell, just look at this site. Nobody paid any attention to anything I said before I got a fancy Gibson. Then overnight people stopped questioning me and now I can't get through a single 24 hour period without getting 10-20 e-mails asking what [X] to buy, how to fix [Y], etc. And this is just one irrelevant website.

I've worked in music, TV, print media, digital media, you name it. Four of my extended family work or have worked in all manner of media positions, too, everything from designers to composers to directors. I've got close friends who work on Hollywood movies, big-budget video games, at large record labels, indie record labels and recording studios.
I have never come across a single job in any of these sectors where someone would be hired despite not having the relevant, top-quality equipment.

Yes, it sucks when you're starting out and you can't afford to have a gigantic rig worth multiple thousands. We've all been there. Complaining about this fact and refusing to recognise it does not make it go away. You can't just will yourself into a career. "I want it therefore it will happen despite all odds" is how 9-year-olds think. You don't just pick a career and get in there. You have to work at it, and part of that, in careers like this, means setting yourself up with the right tools.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz

Here's another secret: unless the person is extremely nice & helpful- or extremely cruel- you will probably never know the real reason why you didn't get a particular gig. Part of the trick is having as few negatives out of the starting gate as possible.

Real World: I have lost job opportunities because of certain perfectly legal, absolutely danger-free hobbies- I don't mention those anymore unless/until I get the job.

Your gear selection could be the difference between you and the guy who got the job. I kid you not.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #54
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
chances are rarer than talent.

One of the best things I've read on UG....ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Hell, just look at this site. Nobody paid any attention to anything I said before I got a fancy Gibson. Then overnight people stopped questioning me and now I can't get through a single 24 hour period without getting 10-20 e-mails asking what [X] to buy, how to fix [Y], etc. And this is just one irrelevant website.

Don't worry about it, most of us still don't listen to you!!
(Except on pickups, you're a damn good source on pickups!)
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #55
Martis93

Thanks for the tips and everything, I appreciate your concerns and value the time some of you have put into replying to my forum post, but all I wanted to know was whether a 7 string would be enough for me practise wise and for my music. I never asked whether you think my amp is good or not or whether I need to get something else. Someone asked me what amp I'm using now and I told them. I don't think I'm good enough yet to release anything official, it will take atleast one more year of the practise that I'm doing everyday now to get to where I'll feel comfortable to release something. Maybe then I will have upgraded, who knows. As I said before, there are people who have made entry-level equipment sound amazing and I aim to be able to do that. If I can have a great tone with cheap stuff, I will have no problem with the expensive stuff later, when I can afford it. This is my way of doing things, because I don't have other choices at the moment and I honestly don't get why you're all trying to prove me that my equipment is shit. I never said it's the best amp in the world. Alright, maybe I exaggerated on the "bad players" part, but what I meant was that people with little skill sometimes think that the problem is in their gear while in reality it's the skills that they're lacking and they instantly reject every amp that is below a certain price tag that they have in mind. And someone here asked why I'm getting all defensive when people are only trying to help. Try to read everything from the beggining, maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's how you help people. Some of you gave me objective criticism which I didn't ask for, but I always appreciate objective criticism. Others are just trying to make fun of me. Atleast that's how I feel.
Martis93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #56
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I had a listen to your YouTube. The playing is good, the music is good. The tone is not so good. It does sound a bit lacklustre.

I went in with an open mind.

Quote:

Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #57
Martis93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I had a listen to your YouTube. The playing is good, the music is good. The tone is not so good. It does sound a bit lacklustre.

I went in with an open mind.

The MG was not used in any of those vids. Thanks.
Martis93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #58
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I wasn't sure if it was. What was it?

Like I said, I think the music is good.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 04-18-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #59
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Don't worry about it, most of us still don't listen to you!!
(Except on pickups, you're a damn good source on pickups!)

The funny thing is most e-mails I get, and most things I'm asked to do in person, have nothing to do with pickups. I've always been confident that pickups are the only thing I really know my shit about, but eh.

You'd think people would have learnt by now that I'm clearly a quack, but nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Real World: I have lost job opportunities because of certain perfectly legal, absolutely danger-free hobbies- I don't mention those anymore unless/until I get the job.
Absolutely. I've lost several jobs, in music but especially in photography, due to things like making a reference to an unpopular band, liking the wong TV show, having friends who have unusual hobbies, etc.

You'd think these things would be less of an issue in creative sectors, but if anything it's worse.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #60
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
You'd think people would have learnt by now that I'm clearly a quack, but nope.

Penguins quack?

Quote:
...liking the wong TV show...

I've never seen the Wong Show...wossit like?

Rate This Thread: