Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Stephenm0ynihan

Am I a poor guitarist?

Hey. Don't worry, I'm not whining, I'm fairly content with how much I've progressed guitar-wise, but I'm just curious...

Whenever I'm looking at forums about 'the hardest solo you know' and stuff, I always see people saying they've learned Jimi Hendrix songs after like 6-8 months... I've been playing seriously for say, 2 years, and I still have difficulty learning some apparently easy stuff.. for example, I tried learning the Fade to Black intro earlier, I spent a good 2 hours at it and still am only at about 80% of Metallica's speed. Am I just expecting to learn things too quickly or am I really that behind you other guitarists? Also, I'm quite a perfectionist, I won't claim I know something until I have 100% right and am comfortable playing it, could that be another reason why I feel like I'm not as good as other players?

Please, don't tell me I shouldn't compare myself to others, I know this may be true, but that doesn't really answer my question..

Cheers.
Stephenm0ynihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Don't compare yourself to others, it's pointless.

What other people can or can't do has absolutely no bearing on what you yourself can or can't do...different people learn different things in different ways at different speeds, and also have different criteria as to what constitutes "being able to do something" - so worrying about how you compare to others is a meaningless exercise that also isn't going help you improve in any way.

All that matters is that you are able to identify your own flaws and gaps in your playing and are willing to put in the work to rectify those problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Sythecus

Yeah Dont compare yourself to others man. Each person is gonna be different, and it all has to do how you tackle playing guitar and how much time you put into it.
Sythecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
hobohunter23

Same as others have said, but I've known loads of guitarists who say they can play something- but can't (only very poorly).
hobohunter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
J_W

Also realize people tend to be a little less than honest on the internet.

How long you have been playing doesn't mean much, I've been playing for what seem like forever (18+ years) and there are guys better than me who have not played half as long. It's comes down to how much you actually practice. Some people sit in their rooms and do nothing but play guitar. Others play an hour a day or a couple hours a week. The thing is, how good you are is a result of how much time you dedicate to it. If you feel you are not as good as you should be, the only option is to play more and get better.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Bubbles516
UG's Newfoundlander

Well when it comes to playing that particular intro solo if you're having a hard time nailing that after 2 years maybe you are a little slow. I remember getting that down a few months into playing. When I started learning to play I played sooo much though.

With that in mind, maybe you're a better rhythm player though or maybe you're stronger in different areas or maybe you don't practice enough.

I think the important thing is to not care about it.
Bubbles516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Guitar playing is purely for your own enjoyment, but as every old bugger's ever said, practice makes perfect. You still don't have to compare yourself to other guitarists.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Stephenm0ynihan

I suppose you're right, I don't practice much really with school exams etc., I'll be joining a band in a few weeks and with Summer coming up I'll have loads of time to practice.

Thanks guys
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

I wouldn't worry about it man, ive heard people that play guitar say stuff like.psh. master of puppets? that's song is reatrdo easy. then you watch them play it and it turns out to be like watching a baby masturbate. its not right, and it makes you reallllly uncomfortable
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Stephenm0ynihan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
I wouldn't worry about it man, ive heard people that play guitar say stuff like.psh. master of puppets? that's song is reatrdo easy. then you watch them play it and it turns out to be like watching a baby masturbate. its not right, and it makes you reallllly uncomfortable

Yeah, I've also realised that some guitarists tend to be a bunch of arrogant pricks, they can't play half of what they say they can and are still adamant that they're great../
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle

People who have ego's and THINK they are great usually aren't as good as they tell you they are.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Dnouw

I would say most people on here lie about their skills at least slightly, because they can. Do your own thing and do not compare yourself to others. Always go slow when learning a song and gradually increase the speed as your muscle memory of the song increases. Good luck.

Last edited by Dnouw : 04-16-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Dnouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Stephenm0ynihan

Actually, another thing, how long does it take you to learn (on average) a reasonably difficult song? I just want to know if I rush myself..
Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Spadge71

Dont judge yourself with how quickly your learning someone else's piece, be happy that your trying and whilst learning, adding to your own skills to aid your own compositions.
Spadge71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnouw
I would say most people on here lie about their skills at least slightly, because they can. Do your own thing and do not compare yourself to others. Always go slow when learning a song a gradually increase the speed as your muscle memory of the song increases. Good luck.

Which is why I tend to value certain member's advice more than others, specifically the ones who post videos and I know how good they are.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
thePTOD
UG Fanatic

I knew a kid who could play the Crazy Train solo at 14. You know what though? He can't play or write anything else worth crap.

People probably practice the same thing over and over and over and never balance themselves out. Don't compare yourself to everyone else and progress how you feel comfortable. Then you will be able to happier with yourself.
Originally Posted by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
thePTOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
triface
Drenched in Syrup

If reasonably difficult means something that's just out of your reach, a week to a month should do depending on the intricacies. But again, as said sooooo many times, that's my pacing, not yours.

By the way, I thought I'd just add that learning Fade to Black made me progress the fastest so far. It really cleaned up my playing from messy as hell to slightly messy, though if you're a perfectionist you probably won't see as much as leap in your technique.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

the crazy train thing ..that's so true these days.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Stephenm0ynihan

I usually try to learn stuff in a day.. there's the problem
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenm0ynihan
I usually try to learn stuff in a day.. there's the problem

You might learn it, but playing it good is another story.

Rate This Thread: