Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Justin L Franks

Egnater Tweaker combo, or Tweaker head + Rebel cab?

I bought a used Egnater Tweaker 15-watt combo from a local Guitar Center, but it turns out it has a bad power tube so it's being returned.

I found two local listings for Tweakers, and both look to be in perfect shape (I'll be sure to test them out first!).

1. Another Tweaker 15-watt combo, 100% stock, for $300.

2. A Tweaker 15-watt head, an Egnater Rebel 1x12 cabinet, upgraded power tubes (Electro-Harmonix 6V6's), for $450.

I paid $400 (tax included) for the used Tweaker combo at Guitar Center, but would be getting a $70 gift card in a month because of a promotion at the time -- $10 gift card for every $50 spent (pre-tax).

So my choices are to see if Guitar Center will give me a new pair of power tubes, or return it and get one of the two Tweakers for sale locally.

Any thoughts? It's a tough decision!
Justin L Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
ikey_

i am a big fan of combos especially getting a good 1x12. very handy, something you will probably have forever.

however, a tube swap takes 5 minutes and 15 bucks with no technical knowledge required.

can you change a light bulb? i would have tried that.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

I think its a better amp with a closed back cab. Just my preference. The closed back is a little tighter and gives you the versatility to play a little heavier than an open back, IMO. I go for a more hard rock sound sometimes though, so that certainly sways my preference.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Depends on what kind of speaker you want actually.
The Tweaker combo has a Celestion G12H30 speaker, which is more 'classic' sounding, the Celestion Elite 80 (tweaked Classic Lead 80) is IMO more versatile.
You'll have to figure out yourself which you like better though.

Other than that the combo seems like a better deal.
Personally I'd try to talk the price for the head and cab.

But after all you could just have the tube changed or swap your Tweaker at Guitar Center for one with working power tubes.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Justin L Franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
i am a big fan of combos especially getting a good 1x12. very handy, something you will probably have forever.

however, a tube swap takes 5 minutes and 15 bucks with no technical knowledge required.

can you change a light bulb? i would have tried that.

I know, it's just that I paid for a fully functioning amp. If it would have worked for 28 days and a tube blew I'd just buy new tubes, but it was broke when I first plugged it in. It's also a bit harder to swap tubes on the combo vs the head.

Can you change just one of the power tubes on the Tweaker, or is a matched pair needed?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
ikey_

yeah i can see that. i respect that. most times its fine, but these amps probably are shipped from asia with glass tubes in them. you got a lemon.

if you buy the same model, then you dont need to rebias the tubes. in general it is good to buy a pair, but again, if the same model.....
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Justin L Franks

Well, I went with a completely different option based on a very surprising offer from Guitar Center.

I had decided to go for the used Tweaker 15-watt head (with Electro-Harmonix power tubes) and Rebel 1x12 cabinet listed on Craigslist for $450.

So I go to Guitar Center to return the Tweaker 15-watt combo. They asked why I wanted to return it and I told them it had a bad power tube from the beginning. The manager looked some stuff up on the computer, and then told me he would be willing to give me a brand new Tweaker combo to replace the used one with a bad tube for the same price as the used combo ($375 + tax).

I asked him about getting the Tweaker head and cabinet, and he said fine, just pay the $50 difference between the regular price of a new Tweaker combo and a new Tweaker head + Tweaker 1x12 cabinet.

A brand new Egnater Tweaker 15-watt head and Tweaker 1x12 cabinet for $425??? The regular price is $650, so $425 is a 35% discount. This was such an amazing deal that I simply could not take.

So I ended up buying a Tweaker 15-watt head, a Tweaker 1x12 cabinet, a 6-foot Monster Performer 500 speaker cable, and two 5-foot Live Wire Advantage guitar cables (to run from the Tweaker's effects loop send into my audio interface, through Amplitube for reverb/delay/etc. effects, and back into the Tweaker's effects loop return), a T-Rex Crunchy Frog overdrive / clean boost pedal, and a third 5-foot Live Wire guitar cable to run from the pedal to the amp.

Total cost (pre-tax): $572.94

I still can't believe I got all that for so little money. Tweaker head + cab, Crunchy Frog overdrive pedal, and all necessary cables, all for $613.05 with tax. It works out to an overall discount of 28% over regular prices -- an absolutely incredible deal.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Guitarbaddie
Words go here

I would take the head and 1x12, but that's just me. Being able to use my amp with different cabs at ease is something I like.
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
ragingkitty
meow?

Nice deal! Congrats.

Time for the bad news.

Pics or it's an MG.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
ikey_

great setup. those lower end GC model t- rex pedals are surprisingly good. i almost bought the yellow 2 channel OD. frog was nice as well.

sometimes they just need to move product. returns are a huge buzzkill for them. why do you think they only return on store credit? lock you in no matter what.

i hate swiping a card at GC, as far as im concerned when i swipe that money is gone return or not. they are going to get my money.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
Justin L Franks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
great setup. those lower end GC model t- rex pedals are surprisingly good. i almost bought the yellow 2 channel OD. frog was nice as well.

sometimes they just need to move product. returns are a huge buzzkill for them. why do you think they only return on store credit? lock you in no matter what.

i hate swiping a card at GC, as far as im concerned when i swipe that money is gone return or not. they are going to get my money.

You don't have to get store credit, they'll give a refund on your card. I know GC employees are paid via commission, so it would make sense that they would try as hard as possible to give you store credit. But if they refuse just speak with the manager.

Rate This Thread: