Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
FLuX25

Best passive 6 string Pickups for thrash

What 6 string neck and bridge passive pickups would everyone recommend for guitar tones such as megadeth, slayer, anthrax and metallica etc. but that wont get muddy for down tunings like dropped C. I want them for a hard tail bc rich warlock. The stock pickups are perfectly fine but they aren't AMAZING and the neck pickups get super muddy on low notes. I know a lot of you are going to tell me i should get EMGs or duncan blackouts but i dont want active pickups for this guitar.
FLuX25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

One does not simply play Thrash in drop C.
Although they're not specifically for Thrash, look at:
-EMG H4: EMG's passive version, loosely based on the 81.
-Wilde Pickups L500XL: Great pickup, works great for Thrash/Groove
-Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB: Used by Dave Mustaine through the majority of Megadeth's career
-Dimarzio D-Activators: High output similar to an active, but it's passive.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
FLuX25

I said "for a thrash sound but Also dont get muddy with dropped C" i didnt say im playing thrash in dropped C :P and thanks il look into all of those .
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Avoid EMG HZ's; they suck.

What is your amp?
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
KillerLolrus
Mac Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
-Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB: Used by Dave Mustaine through the majority of Megadeth's career
-Dimarzio D-Activators: High output similar to an active, but it's passive.

+1
KillerLolrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
ejfr1985

Dimarzio Norton, it has a nice grunt in E standard and i think it has that thrash vibe, even if it isnt high output, on lower tuning i didnt find it muddy but it's all in the ears of the one who hears
ejfr1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
ryanbwags

I have a set of Dragonfires in my LTD explorer. Less than 40 bucks for the set, really tight and lots of gain.
See the amp question above, though. If you are using a digital modeling amp (Line 6 or Peavy Vyper or similar) it won't matter a bit what pickups you put in. Look at a good tube amp if you don't have one already, they don't have to be gigantic to sound good, there are a lot of them in the 8 to 15 watt range that are incredible right now.
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
henrihell

For the bridge get a Seymour Duncan SH-13 aka. Dimebucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
henrihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Duncan Distortion or Dimarzio D-Activators. Not a fan of the JB personally, but you could easily figure out if you like it, it's slapped onto so many guitars it's not even funny.

The Distortion is tight and focused as f*ck with big output. You can check out Ola Englund's newer videos, he is mostly using a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. It's a great metal pickup.

The D-Activator is supposed to sound closer to an active pickup, never played one though. You might want to give that one a try. If it sounds anywhere near an EMG 81, it would certainly do it for you, as the 81 is pretty much THE tone of thrash.

As for the neck, with the Distortion you could pair a Duncan Jazz, which is a very clear pickup and will also do good cleans.

No idea what to pair the D-Activator with as I have never played one and haven't seen to many guitars with it stock. Maybe something like an Air Norton might do.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
base851

I have the Duncan JB/Jazz combo... JB at the bridge and Jazz at the neck. I love them.
base851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
metalchris87

duncan jb/jazz set duncan distortion mayhem set dimarzio d activators set will do you good.
they all sound great in my mahogany body guitars but the jb/jazz sound best in my maple bolt neck on mahognany guitar for thrash and technical clean riffs. i play in e flat.
i bought all three sets for less then 100 each on ebay. check your local craigslist too i bought my mint 5150 combo for 400 checking everyday. good things comes to those who wait.
metalchris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
LightxGrenade

I have an SD Invader in my gibson's bridge. I get a pretty good old school thrash sound. Emphasis on the old school sound, for dropped tuning it does ok but you wont get that super agressive low end (you know what I mean where the palm muted open string riffs sound like a machine gun lol), maybe like a more melodic metalcore sound a-la KSE I guess.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Avoid EMG HZ's; they suck.

In what way? I have them in my Schecter, and IMO they sound pretty good. Not a great attitude to take, just stating your opinion as if it's fact.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
In what way? I have them in my Schecter, and IMO they sound pretty good. Not a great attitude to take, just stating your opinion as if it's fact.

They just don't sound as good as the 81/85 actives they try to copy. They sound too harsh.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
FLuX25

Ok, to answer the question about the amp, I currently have a gay little practice amp but im getting a marshall MG30fx soon and i have been using a zoom g1xn for effects. I tried the warlock through my teacher's MG100fx and it sounds nice but not as good as his either of his guitars and like i said the low end gets muddy. What would help a **** load is if any of you who have the pickups you have recommended installed in a guitar could post a video of some playing ( play some low end riffs, some harmonics and some fast sweeping etc. to give me an idea of its sound all around)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Then save your pickup money, DO NOT get the MG30 and wait until you have enough money for a decent amp.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
ryanbwags

A video of the pickups won't help unless they are playing through your amp. The amp is going to make the difference. The MG30fx has a bunch of digital effects, and I'm guessing some digital modeling as well (help me out here, guys). Look for a good, no frills amp in your price range. Go a little bit over 200 bucks and you can start getting into low watt tube combos. Slap a good pedal like a Metal Muff or ProCo Rat in front of the amp.
The pickups are going to be the cheapest option here, but also the ones that affect the tone the least, especially with a digital amp. Take your guitar to the store with you and try some amps in your range, assuming you haven't done that yet.
I know how you feel, I went through the same thing you're doing about 15 years ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
ryanbwags

Quote:
One does not simply play Thrash in drop C.

He can if he wants to
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
MaaZeus

If you ever intent to use old Thrash amps like JCM800 and such, Dimarzio x2n can sound amazing. Its propably still the hottest pickup ever made, leaving even actives like emg 81 behind, its insane. Voicing is perfect for thrash and oldschool death metal. However its quite guitar dependant and can sound muddy in some, plus its overkill on modern high gain amps. Personally I love these.

Dimarzio d-activator would be the saner and more modern choice. Plus it tries to mimic active pup sound so its propably closest thing to emg 81 you can get as far as passives go. Personally i havent owned one so this is just third hand information.

EMG-HZ has a poor reputation which i consider bit unfair. Its not the poorest pickup out there and some good sounds have been made with those (children of bodom). But they do have one flaw: they are weak! Output is pisspoor. The stock pickups of my LTD drove the preamps harder than HZ did. They really need some boosting help.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Sullinger

Poser