Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
ABWFProductions

I'd avoid the MG's, they are not good amps. At all.
Source: I played through an MG15 for ages.

I'd take the $200 odd you would be paying for the MG and combine it with any money you were going to spend on pick-ups and have a look at some budget tube amps. Things like Jet City are supposed to be really nice. Have a look at what you can get used (I have no clue what the US market is like, being a UK native.) You're going to get a much more obvious increase in tonal quality that way.
ABWFProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
nitarsh

I currently have D'Activators on my Ibanez S (mahogany body) and you get pretty good thrash tones given the right amp. They note definition is quite clear upon down tuning. Gone till C only a couple of times. And again, I have tried only on Modelling amps like Peavey Vypyr. I do no know how it sounds through Tubes.
I have not tried actives, so no way to compare.
I had EMG HZs on my Dean Vendetta (Basswood body). and the tone was bit muddy (even in standard), and output was low. The drop tuning u get the metal tones , but again they are a muddy. All in all, it was a waste of money.
nitarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

This thread should be proof that pickups don't matter that much. There are so many suggestions for different pickups ranging Dragonfires to Livewires.

Worry about getting a good amp first. Don't get an MG. If you're trying to save money on the amp, then go for a Peavey Vypyr 30 or higher. You'd be cheating yourself if you tried to make crap amp and an FX work for this, it just isn't gonna happen.

After you've got a Vypyr, then worry about pickups.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #24
FLuX25

I have a actually tried both the MG100 and Mg300 and they both sound really good. whats the sound like on that Peavy Vypyr 30 or the Peavey 03608080 Vypyr VIP 2 - 40 Watt ? They are both far cheaper than the Marshall i was looking into.
FLuX25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
ABWFProductions

I haven't tried a Vypr personally, but from what I've heard from clips it sounds a lot better than the MG. It's also more versatile and will suit thrash/metulz a lot better.
ABWFProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
FLuX25

yeah thats what im starting to feel. Also its a **** load cheaper. what about the VIP2 40, does the fact that it can be used as a bass amp or guitar amp but does that detract from the quality of the sound or the variety of sounds on the guitar setting?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
AlongcameFred
Smells fish

If I were you I'd wouldn't bother buying any new amp until I'd saved up enough money for a small tube amp with a decent amount of gain such as a Blackstar HT-5. The 5 watt combo is about $449.99. But taking into account the money for a new set of pickups and the MG you should almost be able to cover the whole cost of the Blackstar or similarly priced tube amp.

Also what BC Rich are you using?
AlongcameFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
FLuX25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongcameFred
If I were you I'd wouldn't bother buying any new amp until I'd saved up enough money for a small tube amp with a decent amount of gain such as a Blackstar HT-5. The 5 watt combo is about $449.99. But taking into account the money for a new set of pickups and the MG you should almost be able to cover the whole cost of the Blackstar or similarly priced tube amp.

Also what BC Rich are you using?

The BC rich i was talking about in this particular thread is this http://www.bcrich.com/models/guitar...arlock-Pack/145 but they seemed to have slightly changed it on their sight since i got mine, the bridge on mine is a tune-o-matic string through body type. Also with that blackstar ht-5 am i right in saying that the $450 5 watt combo isnt all i will have to buy ?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #29
DarthV

Metal amp on a budget? I'd start with the vypyr 30w @ $200. They are the best low priced modeling amps for metal, hands down. Do not bother with one of the marshall MGs.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
FLuX25

yeah i think the vyper 30 is a good way to go. how is the Peavey VIP2 40 watt ? because thats really well priced and looks like it should be good but i dont know what the sound is like
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
DarthV

Is the new vypyr line available yet? I don't think they have done much tweaking on the modeling, but added some other features (bass & acoustic modeling??).
Kemper KPA
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
FLuX25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV
Is the new vypyr line available yet? I don't think they have done much tweaking on the modeling, but added some other features (bass & acoustic modeling??).

Umean the VIP, its the viper but it can switch between bass and guitar amp
. If so then yes.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
Doadman

The simple answer is save your money until you can afford a decent valve amp. The Vypyr is a lot better than the MG but you'd still be wasting your money to buy replacement pickups if all you're going to do is run them into a modelling amp. The amp is 80% of your tone - the pickups are a very small percentage in comparison so you really need to get the amp sorted first. There are quite a few really good low powered valve amps available these days that will be FAR better and FAR louder than a 30w solid state amp. Even a 5w valve amp should do that and you could play a loud enough gig with an 18w valve amp. Honestly, save your money and put it to a properly good amp. If you get any of the 30w modelling, solid state amps you'll be changing it again this time next year.

When you do eventually get around to new pickups and you want tight and aggressive passive pickups for Metal; look no further than Bare Knuckle. They don't know what mud is and any number in the range will do what you want: Black Hawks; Nailbombs; Aftermath etc.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
FLuX25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doadman
The simple answer is save your money until you can afford a decent valve amp. The Vypyr is a lot better than the MG but you'd still be wasting your money to buy replacement pickups if all you're going to do is run them into a modelling amp. The amp is 80% of your tone - the pickups are a very small percentage in comparison so you really need to get the amp sorted first. There are quite a few really good low powered valve amps available these days that will be FAR better and FAR louder than a 30w solid state amp. Even a 5w valve amp should do that and you could play a loud enough gig with an 18w valve amp. Honestly, save your money and put it to a properly good amp. If you get any of the 30w modelling, solid state amps you'll be changing it again this time next year.

When you do eventually get around to new pickups and you want tight and aggressive passive pickups for Metal; look no further than Bare Knuckle. They don't know what mud is and any number in the range will do what you want: Black Hawks; Nailbombs; Aftermath etc.

How much money do you think I'd be looking a decent valve amp and speaker ?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Doadman

Difficult for me to say as I'm in the UK and I assume you're not as you said the MG was a lot more expensive than the Vypyr and over here it isn't. Either way, the answer with amps is to go for a used one. There are lots about that are in excellent condition but I'll try to give you an idea. Let's take as a starting point the solid states you're looking at and what they are new here in the UK:

Vypyr 30 = £175
Marshall MG30 = £166

One option for a valve amp would be to get an amp with a good clean channel and then get your distortion from pedals. The other guitarist in my band does that and it sounds great. Something like a Fender Blues Junior or similar should do the trick. New they're £465 but used you're probably looking not much more than half that so not that different to a new Vypyr or MG.

Another good option would be a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister which in combo format comes as either a 5w or 36w. New, the 5W version is £280 and the 36w is £700 and again, you're probably slightly over half that used. Don't get fooled by wattage; 5w on a solid state amp would be useless but 5w on a valve amp can still be very loud.

Over here, a Laney amp would be a cheap option used. Both the LC-30 and VC-30 are more than powerful enough and are about £490 new so expect about £250 - £300 used but then you are getting 30w and that's easily enough to do a fair size of gig.

If you like Marshall, they do an all valve 15w now but it's quite new so there may not be any used ones around yet but an old DSL401 may be available. I sold mine a while ago for about £300 but again, it's very powerful at 40w.

A great option would be an Orange Tiny Terror. 15w all valve amp that you can turn down to only 7w and it's fantastic quality. They're about £500 new here and very sought after so I wouldn't expect change from £300 used.

As an alternative to the Vypyr, Peavey also do a couple of very reasonably priced valve amps, albeit more powerful than you need. I'll tell you what they are new over here and half it for a used value. Valve King = £400; 6505+ = £500

You could also look out for a Jet City. They did a really nice 20w that was cheap and very good, though there wasn't a lot of clean headroom in them. Another idea would be to look at the Blackstar HT series as they're good value too.

There's some to get you started anyway. Any valve amp is likely to be more expensive than a solid state amp so you may have to save but it will be cheaper in the long run. You'll soon grow out of solid state but invest in a good valve amp and it could last you for years. I made the mistake of going for cheaper solid state amps and I regret it now. I couldn't go back to one now as the tone is nowhere near as good as a valve amp and they just frustrate you. Learn from my mistakes - you'll find it's cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Well, there are quite a few passive pickups that come to mind that you should look in to (into?) hearing and/or buying.

Bridge:

1) Seymour Duncan JB
- I use this pickup and it's high output, but not overbearingly loud. I mainly use it for more "hard rock" stuff, but it can pull off thrash and other metal quite well.
2) Seymour Duncan Invader
- This is used by Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold, so it can deliver for metal.
3) Dimarzio Tone Zone
- It's just a bit quieter than the JB, but it's still a great sounding pickup.
4) Dimarzio Super Distortion
- The "beginning" of aftermarket pickups and it is quite a high output one at that. It can work very well for thrash.

Neck:

1) Seymour Duncan Jazz
- It's based off the old PAF-styled pickups with a bit of extra volume. I have this paired with the JB in my Les Paul and it works great as a neck pickup. It's very warm and clear sounding.
2) Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
- This is another PAF-styled pickup from Seymour Duncan. From word of mouth, I hear that it's great.
3) Dimarzio PAF Pro
- Yet another PAF-based pickup. From what I've heard of this pickup, it sounds great in the neck f any guitar. It has a clear and versatile sound. It works great in the neck pair with another pickup or as the bridge pickup pair with two single coils. If I remember correctly, Paul Gilbert had a set of these in one of his custom Ibanez guitars.

I hope I helped you out with choosing pickups for your guitar.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
One option for a valve amp would be to get an amp with a good clean channel and then get your distortion from pedals.

<snip>

Another good option would be a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister which in combo format comes as either a 5w or 36w. New, the 5W version is £280 and the 36w is £700 and again, you're probably slightly over half that used. Don't get fooled by wattage; 5w on a solid state amp would be useless but 5w on a valve amp can still be very loud.

<snip>

A great option would be an Orange Tiny Terror. 15w all valve amp that you can turn down to only 7w and it's fantastic quality. They're about £500 new here and very sought after so I wouldn't expect change from £300 used.

<snip>

Another idea would be to look at the Blackstar HT series as they're good value too.

Yes to all that.

On pedals, skimping on those can be almost as bad as skimping on your amp. Look at quality instead of price- they are NOT intrinsically linked.

And on pickups, I'd look at Lace (Deathbuckers), Tesla (Plasmas) and Railhammer (Chisel and Anvil).

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-18-2013 at 05:58 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
DarthV

Quote:
One option for a valve amp would be to get an amp with a good clean channel and then get your distortion from pedals. The other guitarist in my band does that and it sounds great. Something like a Fender Blues Junior or similar should do the trick.

Really? Why bother buying a tube amp if you're just going to throw a distortion pedal in front of it?

Believe it or not, the vypyr will be responsive to change in pickups. Specially the 60w.

And Laney/Marshall have amps that would work for thrash metal, but they are more pricy in North America. Cheap tube amp in the US for old school thrash? Used Peavey Windsor, Butcher or Ultra head plus a 1x12 cab. Jet City is another option. As for pedals, the $40 Joyo Vintage Overdrive does the job just as well as a real Tube Screamer.
Kemper KPA
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Dimarzio D-Activators.

I love my EMG 81/60 combo, but the D-Activator set is amazing.
It's also similar to the 81/60 combo.
The neck D-Activator sound single coil/P-90 like, and the bridge sounds raw with high output but still organic.
I can describe the D-Activator set as an EMG 81/60 set with an 18 volt mod.

I have both pickup sets and can say that I love them both equally.
(And I play mostly thrash and all kinds of other metal and hard rock)

But look up some youtube videos, reviews, or even try some out if you find a guitar at your local shop that has the D-Activators installed.

good luck, bud.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81/85 (Drop-C)
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

This post is full of bias and bullshit.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: