Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
ThrashLife

Anyone studying in UK?

I'm thinking about going to UK to study English Language since that's "safer" than any creative study since i'ts a little easier to get a job after, but I wonder if anyone is studying in the UK? Is it worth it? I know I will have a lot of debt to pay when I'm done, so I'm a little worried...

I have however gotten into Essex, Roehampton and Middlesex, but as I said, I'm a little unsure ..

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"

Last edited by ThrashLife : 04-18-2013 at 03:46 AM.
ThrashLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
metal4eva_22
The No-Life Queen

Americans are more proficient in the English language than a bunch of "u wot m8" fags anyways. If you must study English then do it in a way as to generate the least amount of debt as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFromTheVoid
Looking at manga and see Avatar the last Airbender listed

I ain't gonna be able to sleep for like 3 weeks over this shit
metal4eva_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
Philip_pepper
UG's Last German.

I done my high school in Canada and am now studying in Scotland.

I don't have to pay over 9000 pounds per year though because I kept my European citizenship.

Aside from that, ask me anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I done my high school in Canada and am now studying in Scotland.

I don't have to pay over 9000 pounds per year though because I kept my European citizenship.

Aside from that, ask me anything.

Well I have to pay close to 10 000 pounds per year, though I am from Norway. But that's not a problem, I get a mix of scholarship and loan for that, the problem would be if I need a higher loan to being able to actually live there, like food and other enjoyable things such as bars, movies and stuff.

Reason I'm going for english is because it's enjoyable and it's the only thing I feel I'm better off doing, and I got a high grade. I'm by no means "good" at it and have much left to learn of course.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
Powersurge213

I study in the UK, I love it. Never really heard of Middlesex or Roehampton Uni's, so Im assuming that they are old polytechnics (could be wrong) which means that the job prospects may not be as good as had you applied to a red brick uni :/
But again, having not researched it I may be talking out of my ass....
Powersurge213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersurge213
I study in the UK, I love it. Never really heard of Middlesex or Roehampton Uni's, so Im assuming that they are old polytechnics (could be wrong) which means that the job prospects may not be as good as had you applied to a red brick uni :/
But again, having not researched it I may be talking out of my ass....

Um, I would assume it's good enough tho. I am most probably going back to Norway to get a job and the education there isn't any appealing at all so ... I hope potential work places will se having an international degree in language is good.

But how about the living costs? I heard it's about 600-1000 pounds a month depending of where you live, and I'm afraid this is what's going to cost me and put me in debt. Of course there are the entry fee per year, but I have saved up some money (along with my parents being nice and save up something for me) so i can pay at least the entry for my first year on my own.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Americans are more proficient in the English language than a bunch of "u wot m8" fags anyways. If you must study English then do it in a way as to generate the least amount of debt as possible.

Believe it or not, not everyone here is an inbred chav who frequent the Jeremy Kyle show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
MetalMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashLife
Well I have to pay close to 10 000 pounds per year, though I am from Norway. But that's not a problem, I get a mix of scholarship and loan for that, the problem would be if I need a higher loan to being able to actually live there, like food and other enjoyable things such as bars, movies and stuff.

Scholarship and loan? That's not what I've been told. Being from Sweden I have a couple of friends and relatives working in Norway so they told me how amazing everything is in Norway. One of the things was that you actually get paid to study? Maybe only if you study in Norway. But how does that work? It would be interesting to know.
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Olliecs
Luthier

Have friends that are at Uni of Essex, heard some great things about the actual uni but from experience the city can be pretty grimy, it's also a squady city so lots of fights and shit for no apparent reason. As for the others I've never heard of, it's worth arranging a trip over here and checking out the uni's for yourself, if you ring them you can probably arrange a tour of each on consecutive days to fit in with a trip
Olliecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMullet
Scholarship and loan? That's not what I've been told. Being from Sweden I have a couple of friends and relatives working in Norway so they told me how amazing everything is in Norway. One of the things was that you actually get paid to study? Maybe only if you study in Norway. But how does that work? It would be interesting to know.

You get paid to study if you're studying more practical lines of work like being an electrician or mechanic or something where you have to be deployed in an enterprise for 2 years to get practical experience and you could study that further. When deplyed in an enterprise you get paid for working for that enterprise. After 2 years you "graduate" and can apply for work in similar enterprises, or you could study at college level. I don't know how this works if you're from Sweden though, but it works this way for norwegians. Or if you go through the army you get paid while studying, and you can study almost anything there. Since I'm going to another country I have to pay everything myself - the loans are to be repayed one day you know

BTW Sweden have the best metal! In Flames we trust! Seen em live twice

Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
BelowTheSun

I'm studying at Essex. The uni itself is pretty great, no complaints there. In terms of cost, accomodation ranges from around 70 p/w to 120-ish, I think. You pay in chunks for each term, so at the start of the year you'll pay all the rent for the whole term in one big load. My student finance covers all that though.

In terms of food and stuff, I get by on 200 a month. I also buy a lot of extra stuff that I don't need (games, comics, dvds), so I could probably get by on just food for even less.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #12
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheSun
I'm studying at Essex. The uni itself is pretty great, no complaints there. In terms of cost, accomodation ranges from around 70 p/w to 120-ish, I think. You pay in chunks for each term, so at the start of the year you'll pay all the rent for the whole term in one big load. My student finance covers all that though.

In terms of food and stuff, I get by on 200 a month. I also buy a lot of extra stuff that I don't need (games, comics, dvds), so I could probably get by on just food for even less.

Oh, nice one! Maybe the site I'm applying through is hyping the prices a bit...

Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #13
BelowTheSun

I might be a little off on the prices, but I know mine is around 115 and it's one of the better/more expensive ones. The cheapest rooms are in the towers, so if you don't mind sharing a bathroom with about 15 other people those are pretty good. I couldn't do that though, so I've gone for the more expensive ones
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
TunerAddict
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leony03
Believe it or not, not everyone here is an inbred chav who frequent the Jeremy Kyle show.

Not everyone, but most are.
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheSun
I might be a little off on the prices, but I know mine is around 115 and it's one of the better/more expensive ones. The cheapest rooms are in the towers, so if you don't mind sharing a bathroom with about 15 other people those are pretty good. I couldn't do that though, so I've gone for the more expensive ones

I see, well I have to think about this whole studying abroad thing, but I am very tempted to go there!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
Philip_pepper
UG's Last German.

Go on google and type in "compare cost of living" and go on that numbeo website and check the difference between Norway and the UK to get a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
psyks
Pretty thief

Pretend you're Swedish and get a free education in Scotland.

My Soundcloud
My music, paino, guitar and otherwise - Updated SOMETIMES

DeviantArt
Please watch, fave and comment
psyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Centers of education outside the US are worthless.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
charlie__flynn
sex...beer...charlie!

I'm a student at Manchester and love it, renting a house/rooms in halls could be anywhere from 60-100 a week, could probably get by on food with 35 a week. Nights out typically cost up to 5 for a ticket plus drinks before hand up to 10 and then drinks when you're there another 15 (but this is just me) if you do that twice a week the price could jump up. Maybe you'll want a bus pass for the year which could be 200. Then of course you'll need extra money for other things, big events, clothes, eating out etc.

Definitely doable and it is great fun, as long as you think the degree at those universities would be worth the expenditure when you get back to Norway then I would definitely go for it you'll have a great time!

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
charlie__flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
ThrashLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie__flynn
I'm a student at Manchester and love it, renting a house/rooms in halls could be anywhere from 60-100 a week, could probably get by on food with 35 a week. Nights out typically cost up to 5 for a ticket plus drinks before hand up to 10 and then drinks when you're there another 15 (but this is just me) if you do that twice a week the price could jump up. Maybe you'll want a bus pass for the year which could be 200. Then of course you'll need extra money for other things, big events, clothes, eating out etc.

Definitely doable and it is great fun, as long as you think the degree at those universities would be worth the expenditure when you get back to Norway then I would definitely go for it you'll have a great time!

All those things you just said is exactly what makes this so appealing! Although my dream is to work with music, either as a musician or sound engineer, I feel studying language is more "safe" in terms of a future career. This plus the experience of being in another country meeting lots of new people seem amazing!

Rate This Thread: