Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
A user called GenghisGandhi is going to be an international student here next year so hopefully he sees this.

My accommodation for the year has cost me about £4800, and that includes weekday meals, internet, heating, water and everything. Next year I'm paying £100/week for my house which includes bills, internet and a bi-weekly cleaner.

You can get by here on little money if you know how to shop and only go out once a week.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
captainsnazz
pigeon~~
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashLife
Um, I would assume it's good enough tho. I am most probably going back to Norway to get a job and the education there isn't any appealing at all so ... I hope potential work places will se having an international degree in language is good.

But how about the living costs? I heard it's about 600-1000 pounds a month depending of where you live, and I'm afraid this is what's going to cost me and put me in debt. Of course there are the entry fee per year, but I have saved up some money (along with my parents being nice and save up something for me) so i can pay at least the entry for my first year on my own.

lol no way

My rent was about £400/m and I got by on about £50-60 for food and other stuff, maybe even less.
You are going to be in debt, but the rate and conditions at which you have to pay back your student loan means it's not really worth worrying about too much.

Come on over
Where are you thinking of studying?


Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Americans are more proficient in the English language than a bunch of "u wot m8" fags anyways. If you must study English then do it in a way as to generate the least amount of debt as possible.

u rly r 1 cheeky kunt rnt u
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
 
Simsimius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thurrock, England. Colchester, England.
I study at Essex. Quite a few Norwegians here btw.

Come, Essex isn't god-tier or anything, but it's a good uni and it does have a respectable reputation for a few departments.
Also the campus is pretty nice, you don't even need to go to town often tbh.

Uni is half studying, half just enjoying yourself. Last time in your life you can be lazy good-for-nothing and party often (just study well too).
__________________
Sunn O))):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

Last edited by Simsimius : 04-18-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #24
ThrashLife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
lol no way

My rent was about £400/m and I got by on about £50-60 for food and other stuff, maybe even less.
You are going to be in debt, but the rate and conditions at which you have to pay back your student loan means it's not really worth worrying about too much.

Come on over
Where are you thinking of studying?



u rly r 1 cheeky kunt rnt u


Yeah I know I'm going to be in debt and it scares me a little, but I'm sure I'm going to have a blast while studying there! I have applied and gotten into English Language at Roehampton and Middlesex in London and Essex in Colchester. I am still awaiting a reply from Oxford Brookes University in Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
I study at Essex. Quite a few Norwegians here btw.

Come, Essex isn't god-tier or anything, but it's a good uni and it does have a respectable reputation for a few departments.
Also the campus is pretty nice, you don't even need to go to town often tbh.

Uni is half studying, half just enjoying yourself. Last time in your life you can be lazy good-for-nothing and party often (just study well too).


Essex and Roehampton is my two "first choices" I'm going to have a hard time deciding! I hope norwegian schools will see an international grade at one of those universities as a good thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."


Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"

Last edited by ThrashLife : 04-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.
ThrashLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
timhunson
Registered User
 
timhunson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I went to Middlesex Uni. Graduated last year and somehow managed to get a job in marketing with a journalism degree so I know the English language department fairly well.

I can confidently say that I was lucky to leave that place with a 2:1. It is a truly awful university and I strongly recommend that you do not go there. Seriously. Do not go to MDX uni.

Hendon is a shithole, the uni has very little night-life/community and there has been a mass exodus of (quality) lecturers over the past 2 years because the uni is placing too much emphasis on cut backs and the reduction of teaching standards.
DON'T DO IT!!!

SERIOUSLY DON'T!!!!
__________________
Down the Down
timhunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Wolfinator-x
Teeth
 
Wolfinator-x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Everywhere. Pantheism, lol
Yes, there are people studying in the UK.
__________________
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.
Artists I'm listening to a lot lately:
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Philip_pepper
Banned
 
Philip_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie__flynn
I'm a student at Manchester and love it, renting a house/rooms in halls could be anywhere from £60-£100 a week, could probably get by on food with £35 a week. Nights out typically cost up to £5 for a ticket plus drinks before hand up to £10 and then drinks when you're there another £15 (but this is just me) if you do that twice a week the price could jump up. Maybe you'll want a bus pass for the year which could be £200. Then of course you'll need extra money for other things, big events, clothes, eating out etc.

Definitely doable and it is great fun, as long as you think the degree at those universities would be worth the expenditure when you get back to Norway then I would definitely go for it you'll have a great time!

Can I ask where on this bloody island do you get a bus pass for a year for 200 quid? I pay a little over 100 for 10 weeks.

Also TS may I ask, why not choose Scotland?

Last edited by Philip_pepper : 04-18-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
 
Simsimius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thurrock, England. Colchester, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Can I ask where on this bloody island do you get a bus pass for a year for 200 quid? I pay a little over 100 for 10 weeks.

Also TS may I ask, why not choose Scotland?


You answered yourself there.
__________________
Sunn O))):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
Philip_pepper
Banned
 
Philip_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
You answered yourself there.

Here I was thinking Scotland was cheaper than England.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Metallica1554
UG's Foo Foo Cuddly Poops
 
Metallica1554's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ---- Lake Bodom ---- Join Date: May 2001
Doing a degree in English won't get you a job. You'd need to do something job worthy after that, like get a masters degree in something
__________________

Oh Sheesh Y'all, 'twas a dream
Metallica1554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie__flynn
I'm a student at Manchester and love it, renting a house/rooms in halls could be anywhere from £60-£100 a week, could probably get by on food with £35 a week. Nights out typically cost up to £5 for a ticket plus drinks before hand up to £10 and then drinks when you're there another £15 (but this is just me) if you do that twice a week the price could jump up. Maybe you'll want a bus pass for the year which could be £200. Then of course you'll need extra money for other things, big events, clothes, eating out etc.

Definitely doable and it is great fun, as long as you think the degree at those universities would be worth the expenditure when you get back to Norway then I would definitely go for it you'll have a great time!

What year are you? I'm probably going there next year.


Alright I'm gonna use this thread for some questions I have:

1. How much does a meal at a pub typically cost? Like a cheeseburger and a beer.
2. Do you guys have Slim Jims?
3. What's the deal with TV licences? Do dorm rooms get TVs?
4. Do students over there generally have Macs or PCs?

Last edited by genghisgandhi : 04-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
rpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 10 Rillington Place
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie__flynn
Nights out typically cost up to £5 for a ticket plus drinks before hand up to £10 and then drinks when you're there another £15 (but this is just me)!


Where are you drinking? I usually pay about £2.50 a pint round Manchester.
__________________
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
Philip_pepper
Banned
 
Philip_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
What year are you? I'm probably going there next year.


Alright I'm gonna use this thread for some questions I have:

1. How much does a meal at a pub typically cost? Like a cheeseburger and a beer.
2. Do you guys have Slim Jims?
3. What's the deal with TV licences? Do dorm rooms get TVs?
4. Do students over there generally have Macs or PCs?

I'll give this a go.

A pub meal typically costs 7-8 quid. I've seen 5.95 as special offers. But pub food here is awful.

Nobody knows what a slim jim is. I'm not even sure what it is.

Dorms have one tv in the *******. Not paying your tv license is a legal matter. You could always choose not to have a tv.

A bit of both.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Nobody knows what a slim jim is. I'm not even sure what it is.

ugh **** my life

I'm actually going over there next week. Security is gonna be a nightmare on Sunday at the marathon.
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
 
Simsimius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thurrock, England. Colchester, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Here I was thinking Scotland was cheaper than England.


It probably is, I'm just joking with ya - Bus passes are serious business.
Mine's ~£140 for a year for students.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
3. What's the deal with TV licences? Do dorm rooms get TVs?


Seriously, this isn't a big deal. I watch TV (sometimes live) without one (admittedly on a laptop so they can't prove shit).
__________________
Sunn O))):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

Last edited by Simsimius : 04-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
slayer_rule_\m/
Nothing is good.
 
slayer_rule_\m/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
But pub food here is awful.

Not if you go to a good pub?
slayer_rule_\m/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #37
captainsnazz
pigeon~~
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
What year are you? I'm probably going there next year.


Alright I'm gonna use this thread for some questions I have:

1. How much does a meal at a pub typically cost? Like a cheeseburger and a beer.
2. Do you guys have Slim Jims?
3. What's the deal with TV licences? Do dorm rooms get TVs?
4. Do students over there generally have Macs or PCs?

1. I dunno like £5.
2. I don't know what that is so I guess not.
3. They send you threatening letters if you don't get a license but nothing happens.
4. Depends on your course mainly, but essentially everyone I've ever met on a music course has a mac.

Btw I noticed you said "dorms" so maybe you don't quite get the living situation in the UK.
Under no circumstances will you ever have to share a room with anyone. I was pretty shocked when I found found out people do that in america. Generally you get a bedroom and bathroom to yourself (although some of the cheaper halls make you share a bathroom), and share a ******* with 5 other people.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig

Last edited by captainsnazz : 04-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
jaybsp
Registered User
 
jaybsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
ugh **** my life

I'm actually going over there next week. Security is gonna be a nightmare on Sunday at the marathon.


There's summat called Pepporami which is basically the same thing.
jaybsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #39
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw
 
genghisgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
Under no circumstances will you ever have to share a room with anyone. I was pretty shocked when I found found out people do that in america. Generally you get a bedroom and bathroom to yourself (although some of the cheaper halls make you share a bathroom), and share a ******* with 5 other people.

Oh yeah I knew that, I just couldn't think of a better word. There are a lot more reasons UK unis are better than American ones
genghisgandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #40
captainsnazz
pigeon~~
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
Have you already sorted your stuff out then? Which uni are you going and what are you doing?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:31 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.