Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Farzan Hussain

Ibanez GRG 270- Worth it?

Hey guys, new here. I wanna ask if the Ibanez GRG-270 is a good guitar. I'm getting it for about $270 and have been playing the acoustic for about 6 months. I like playing elecs on clean, distortion and metal. The guitar should have a whammy bar. Is this a good guitar or are there others within this range that are better. Thanks in advance!
Farzan Hussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I'm not sure if a Floyd Rose equipped guitar is good as your first guitar. It can be a pain in the ass. Are you going to do crazy divebombs or just vibrato and some dives, dips etc lighter tremolo stuff? I usually use my whammy bar for light vibrato and stuff like that and don't really go crazy with it so for me a vintage style tremolo would do it better. Changing your tuning is really a pain in the ass with a Floyd Rose and if it's not set up right, it's pretty hard to set up. Without proper setup it won't stay in tune.

I have no experience with the guitar you are looking at. Maybe go and try some guitars in a music store and buy the one you like. But yeah, for the styles you play an Ibanez would be a decent guitar. Also try some a bit higher end Ibanezes and see if there's noticeable difference. Is tremolo system a necessity?

Do you have an amp?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Where are you located? If you're in the US, hell no.

If you find a little discount or sale at GC or SA, you can get an RG321 or more likely an old RG2EX1 for that price new.

Used you can get either of those for like $150, easy.

If you need a trem and you're on a budget, look no further than an Ibanez S model. S320, S420, etc..

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Farzan Hussain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Where are you located? If you're in the US, hell no.

If you find a little discount or sale at GC or SA, you can get an RG321 or more likely an old RG2EX1 for that price new.

Used you can get either of those for like $150, easy.

If you need a trem and you're on a budget, look no further than an Ibanez S model. S320, S420, etc..

Currently in Pakistan. The issue is I have a low budget so can't go for more expensive guitars and I don't have an amp. I tried out a friend's Cort and I liked it. I searched everywhere but can't find a Cort in Pakistan.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Do you have a used market in your country? Access to eBay?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I'm not sure if a Floyd Rose equipped guitar is good as your first guitar. It can be a pain in the ass. Are you going to do crazy divebombs or just vibrato and some dives, dips etc lighter tremolo stuff? I usually use my whammy bar for light vibrato and stuff like that and don't really go crazy with it so for me a vintage style tremolo would do it better. Changing your tuning is really a pain in the ass with a Floyd Rose and if it's not set up right, it's pretty hard to set up. Without proper setup it won't stay in tune.

That's an exaggeration. Edges are easier to work with than Floyds, even the Edge III (except that it deteriorates too easily).
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
Farzan Hussain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Do you have a used market in your country? Access to eBay?

No used markets. Only 3 or 4 guitar shops lol in my city!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
That's an exaggeration. Edges are easier to work with than Floyds, even the Edge III (except that it deteriorates too easily).

Actually I'm not exaggerating. Changing the tuning is a pain in the ass because when you change the tuning of one string, all the other strings go out of tune because the bridge moves. So it takes time to go from Eb tuning to standard for example. Once you have it in tune, it will stay in tune though. But it's definitely not for people who change their tuning a lot. Also adjusting the intonation is pretty much a pain in the ass. It needs a lot of detuning and tuning back and trying if the intonation is still off. Of course you can ask the store to do the setup for you. So a Floyd is good for you only if you stay in one tuning and do crazy whammy stuff. A vintage tremolo (with proper setup) will stay in tune if you don't go too crazy with it. And a non-properly set up Floyd doesn't stay in tune.

Though IMO changing strings on a Floyd equipped guitar is easier.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Charvel So Cal and the Floyd Rose it has (I use it a lot but my whammy stuff isn't really that crazy). But my next guitar won't have a Floyd.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 04-20-2013 at 04:43 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Actually I'm not exaggerating. Changing the tuning is a pain in the ass because when you change the tuning of one string, all the other strings go out of tune because the bridge moves. So it takes time to go from Eb tuning to standard for example. Once you have it in tune, it will stay in tune though. But it's definitely not for people who change their tuning a lot. Also adjusting the intonation is pretty much a pain in the ass. It needs a lot of detuning and tuning back and trying if the intonation is still off. Of course you can ask the store to do the setup for you. So a Floyd is good for you only if you stay in one tuning and do crazy whammy stuff. A vintage tremolo (with proper setup) will stay in tune if you don't go too crazy with it. And a non-properly set up Floyd doesn't stay in tune.

Though IMO changing strings on a Floyd equipped guitar is easier.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Charvel So Cal and the Floyd Rose it has (I use it a lot but my whammy stuff isn't really that crazy). But my next guitar won't have a Floyd.

Then you're lucky enough your Floyd's not recessed.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: