Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
AtiX

ESP LTD EC-50 or Epiphone Les Paul 100 HS

Hi,

I've recently started playing guitar again, but now I'm serious. I stopped playing games and play like 4 hours a day. I got an Ibanez Gio as a present 2 years ago but my friends keep telling me that one is bad, action is too high, I have to tune it every day, ect..

I absolutely love metal but also punk like Green Day and Chemical Romance and classic rock.
My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15

I'm looking for a cheap guitar.
So far I've found these two that I really like:

ESP LTD EC-50 SSB Silver Sunburst

Epiphone Les Paul 100 HS Heritage Cherry Sunburst

EDIT: I've blocked the tremolo and I'll spare for a better guitar.

Atix

Last edited by AtiX : 04-21-2013 at 09:26 AM.
AtiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
daniel.kPL

I started playing on a cort-x2 and it was a pretty good guitar for beginner, but the tremolo bridge was sh*t, so the bar was unscrewed and forgotten, huh.

The neck is very comfy though and it's a sort of "light" guitar, I mean, that with a medium, or low tension strings playing is relatively forceless.

Give it a try.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
AtiX

I'm going to a huge music shop in Germany to test the guitars and the only cort they have is this one.

I also removed the tremolo on my Ibanez, it was useless.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Try some Squier vintage modifieds man, theyre pretty nice and versatile, the HSS strat looks pretty good, and you could always do a pickup swap and put higher output pickups in. The other thing could be some Ibanez RG/S guitars, you might find some used so try them out!

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

I'd say the Epi, just becasue it has 4 knobs instead of 3. I'm also more familiar with Epiphones.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Doadman

Personally I wouldn't get either of the guitars you mentioned. The ESP LTD is made by a really good company but this isn't one of their good guitars. As a general rule of thumb, avoid guitars made out of agathis. I'd also avoid the Epiphone. It's the better of the two if only because of the woods but this is a cheap and cheerful guitar that is being sold on the back of the Gibson association. You only have to look at the quality of the finish to see that this is awful. Regardless of the style of music you want to play, the best cheap guitar you can buy is a Yamaha Pacifica 112. The HSS configuration gives it the ability to play a wide range of styles, it's got a lovely neck and is beautifully put together. I used to have one of these even as an experienced guitarist and I was so impressed with it after a pro setup that I went to the bother of installing a set of Seymour Duncan pickups. It honestly plays close to a guitar twice the price.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
TwoPlusTwo

My first guitar was the Ibanez Gio in 2009.
There is a trick to guitars with a strat type tremelo.
Just screw in the back springs deeper to increase tension of the tremelo.
This will make the tremelo flat on the surface of the guitar, acting like a fixed bridge.
Sometimes the backsprings are low quality, I suggest buying a new pack of 3 and installing it.
I don't have my GIO anymore, but I really did like it.
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Don't know anything about the ESP but that Epiphone sucks. Try a bunch of different ones until you find one that you like the feel of.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
AtiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo
My first guitar was the Ibanez Gio in 2009.
There is a trick to guitars with a strat type tremelo.
Just screw in the back springs deeper to increase tension of the tremelo.
This will make the tremelo flat on the surface of the guitar, acting like a fixed bridge.
Sometimes the backsprings are low quality, I suggest buying a new pack of 3 and installing it.
I don't have my GIO anymore, but I really did like it.

I'm gonna try this later, I hope I don't screw my guitar up.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doadman
Personally I wouldn't get either of the guitars you mentioned. The ESP LTD is made by a really good company but this isn't one of their good guitars. As a general rule of thumb, avoid guitars made out of agathis.

I think the site has outdated information. Didnt 50 serie LTDs switch to Basswood couple of years back?

Either way, 50 serie is a low end LTD and henceforth quality control may not be the best. You may get a good one or a bad one. (I do love my F-50, plays and sounds like a dream) But still I'd consider it a safe choice for beginner. Just take it to a guitar shop afterwards for new strings and proper setup and it should serve you well.

Personally since you already have a guitar, although a shitty one, I'd save about 100 more and go for something that will serve you longer. Still needs a proper setup by a luthier, all guitars do.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/ibanez_arz300_bk.htm (has 24 frets unlike Les Pauls usually)
http://www.thomann.de/fi/vintage_v100aw.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/cort_classic_rock_cr250_tb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/cort_evlz4.htm

Just keep browsing Thomann. They have (almost) everything, there is bound to be something that gives you serious GAS.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Low end LTD's are all basswood now, and I would also reccomend one, my EC100qm plays amazing for its 200 quid pricetag.

Although the 400-1000 series is where its at, those MIK LTD's are stupidly good.
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
AtiX

Wouldn't it be better then to just block the trem and buy me a nice ESP LTD H-351NT STBKC <3 in a year when I play much better? Don't know if bad guitars affect learning negatively
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

A tremolo block and some new tuners should fix all the tuning issues . A bad guitar doean't necessarily hinder the learning process but having a nice guitar that plays well to you, and a nice sounding amp can really motivate you more to play.

Lots of beginners give up due to having a poor playing guitar and muddy amp, so they think they suck because they can't get a good tone, its a shame really. Although on the other hand you could say learning to play well and getting good tones out of lower end gear is good practice for getting amazing tones out of good gear.

edit: Having a poorly set up guitar could make you pick up some bad habits while playing that would be hard to break when you upgrade your axe, but like I said a tremolo block and new tuners would sort the tuning instability. As for the action you can just lower it yourself with basic tools, should be a smallen key for a term bridge, you can lower each individual saddle until you get some minor fret buzz then raise it up a tiny bit till it's clear

It MAY need a truss rod adjustment but that's if you can't get the action satisfyingly low without it buzzing or having dead areas.

Last edited by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma : 04-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I wouldn't get either of those. The EC can be okay, but I haven't had good experiences with LTD's Chinese QC.

I would recommend this though, given your budget: http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0000803-001

The LP Studio has a set neck, and it makes all the difference. Bolt on necks on low end guitars are generally awful, massive bulky things. A set neck LP will actually feel the way a real LP is supposed to feel.

If you're willing to save up more, that's always better.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

LTD's are actually made in.Indonesia and Korea, not China mate. Also, the LTD bolt in is all contoured nicely for pretty easy access tbh.

Also those epi lp studios have a stupidly thin body, its about as wide as a strat, they definitly do not feel like les pauls.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

LTDs are made in China (10-100 & 300-400), Vietnam (256), Indonesia (200), and Korea (600 & 1000), with some random variance in those assignments. I've owned a V-50, the heel was terrible. There is a slight cutaway on the heel that doesn't really do anything.

Here's a pic:

The tiny cutaway doesn't do anything about the fact that there's a huge ****ing block at the base of the neck.

Look to Ibanez to see how bolt on should be done.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-20-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Dude my EC 100qm has made in Indonesia on the back of the headstock.....
All LTD's are made in Indonesia except the 1000's which are made in Korea.
The "huge block" is just because of the thickness of the body, if the neck was set in it would still be that thick at the heel....
Ibanez just have pancake thin bodies, so obviously the heel is going to be thinner. It's to do with body thickness not the quality or methodology of the bolting.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
AtiX

Can anyone recommend me some tuners then? I'm new to this stuff.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Depends on how much you are wanting to spend, Grover, Gotoh and Sperzel are all good. You can get locking tuners to really make your tuning solid but they cost quite a bit more than standard tuners.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Dude my EC 100qm has made in Indonesia on the back of the headstock.....
All LTD's are made in Indonesia except the 1000's which are made in Korea.
The "huge block" is just because of the thickness of the body, if the neck was set in it would still be that thick at the heel....
Ibanez just have pancake thin bodies, so obviously the heel is going to be thinner. It's to do with body thickness not the quality or methodology of the bolting.

Lol, seriously? Why are you being so obstinate. I know a lot about LTDs. This is stupid, but whatever: look for yourself.

I have multiple Ibanez and LTD guitars - an Ibanez RG is the same body thickness as an LTD H or MH or EC. The design of the neck heel doesn't have anything to do with the thickness of the body.

@TS I like Gotoh hardware. Any of the big names will be good though (Gotoh, Sperzel, Grover)

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Rate This Thread: