Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
GuitarNewbee

Buying an amp without speakers..good or bad?

Okay well would it be possible to buy combo amp that comes without the speakers, and then buy the speakers seperately and speakers that are better than the stock ones... like lets say i want a peavey 6534+ or 6505+ and bought it without speakers and bought v30 and put them in there... would you face any problems... would it be possible... by the way does anyone know what stock speakers the peavey 6505+ and the 6534+ have?
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

The 6534+ doesn't come in a combo I am pretty sure....

But yes what you are describing would work, though I am not sure what you are really asking...

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

it'd work, just it's not really likely to happen. peavey aren't gonna pull the stock speakers out, and for all the reduction you'd get, i doubt it'd be worth the bother even if they did. just replace the stock speakers if you don't like them, kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

You could easily put a new speaker in a combo amp. I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to find that scenario, and how much money it would save you though. 6505's come with Sheffields I believe.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Pandorum

Guys, I think he's concerned about speaker impedance. If such is the case TS, then yea, you'll have to match up ohm values of an amp and that of the speakers. For example, G12T-75 comes in 8 or 16 ohm variants. Also, a number of speakers that you'll put in will also affect those values, and how you'll wire them, it's a bit more complex than just plug and play. I have to go to work now, so I can't get into it all the way. So basically if that's what you're concerned with, yea, definitely do some research on the topic, forums here are loaded with such threads.
Pandorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandorum
Guys, I think he's concerned about speaker impedance. If such is the case TS, then yea, you'll have to match up ohm values of an amp and that of the speakers. For example, G12T-75 comes in 8 or 16 ohm variants. Also, a number of speakers that you'll put in will also affect those values, and how you'll wire them, it's a bit more complex than just plug and play. I have to go to work now, so I can't get into it all the way. So basically if that's what you're concerned with, yea, definitely do some research on the topic, forums here are loaded with such threads.

okay thanks.
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
FlightofIcarus

Most likely, you're not going to find any combo amps for sale with no speakers in them. Not saying it's impossible, but it's more common that you find cabs unloaded.

That being said, a speaker swap is a piece of cake. Buy an amp, find out what ohm rating the speaker(s) in it are, and it's basically a plug and play deal if you re-wire it the same way with speakers of the same ohm rating. If you want to swap in speakers with different ohm ratings, then it gets a bit more complicated. Do a quick search/read up on series and parallel wiring to get a quick rundown on the basics, and getting the correct ohm load.
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: