Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #21
Jacques-Henri

Just saying : I think all of Schecters 7-strings are superstrats...

EDIT : There are 3 non-metal shapes,
- The Chris Garza (which is a silverburst tele)
- The Solo 7 ATX ASBN (Black offset Les Paul type thing, in Black with yellow binding)
- The Hellraiser 7, which is an offset thing as well, but the shape is frankly indescribable...

Last edited by Jacques-Henri : 04-19-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Jacques-Henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #22
dannyalcatraz

Digging ever deeper into my mental catalog of unusual guitars that aren't outrageous or über pricey, Licea is a one-man brand that uses bamboo for body woods. The is basically only one body style, but a variety of pickup options.
http://www.liceaguitars.com/guitars.htm

Phantom makes retro styled guitars here in the USA- the Teardrop is on my G.A.S. list. Most seem to be singlecoil equipped, however.
http://phantomguitars.com/teardrop.html

Steinbergers are always an option. I'm no fan of EMGs, but I'd live with them for a Steinberger,me specially one of their TransScale models- a built-in rolling capo lets you go from baritone to standard scale in seconds. (There are a few different body shapes, but all are headless.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-19-2013 at 03:03 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #23
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

HH blacktop jaguar?
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Which orange one? A standard or the one at Wildwood? I've lost track!

I'd be getting the standard, so long as it doesn't sell in my waiting time.

The Ravelle isn't too bad, though perhaps not really my thing, as pointed out (and I've got the ebow covered too ). The Vertigo is being added to the possibilities, though, as you said, they're geared with hotter PUP's (some have actives).

That Licea is pretty sweet, kind of has that Italia thing going for it, and the bamboo sounds interesting.

I'll just throw it out there now: I won't be going the 7 string route. I have nothing but respect for those who play them, but I wouldn't have a need for that in my arsenal yet.

I had considered a Blacktop Jag, but felt like that was a bit too easy, too much in my comfort zone.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
dannyalcatraz

Steve, these are probably outside your budget unless you find a used one or a good sale- more on that later- but they definitely have a quirkiness you'd probably enjoy:

http://www.fret-king.com/esprit5blacklabel.html
http://www.fret-king.com/venturasuper60hb3_spec.html

You might recall I scored a Fret-King Supra 60HB- their take on a fat strat- earlier this year. That thing is awesome...as it should be for a £800 guitar! At this point, I'm sold on F-K's quality.

But the main reason I bought it when I bought it was I found it on sale, new, for approximately half price. Limited time offer from Frets Guitar Centre. Even with import costs, it was under $700.

Bonus for you: the pickups are going to be more traditionally voiced- IOW, not as hot as the ones in the Fernandes guitars.

Just looking right now, they have one on sale for £495- that's about $754 with a straignt conversion. But that price includes certain UK taxes we wouldn't have to pay, but, of course, doesn't include shipping and import costs. It would probably be a few bucks cheaper.
http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...rans_Amber.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
SteveHOC
Used Register

Danny,
I remember that though I don't normally like Strats, I thought yours was quite slick.

That Espirit 5 is awesome looking and definitely a guitar I'm looking into. Granted, I'd have to put away a little more money, but damn is that a cool guitar! I think you've found something to rival my fascination with Reverend.

Out of curiosity, do you have any experience with Hanson guitars?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

I've seen one or two, never played one.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ok, just wanted to see if you could comment on one. The first chance I would get to play on one would be a few weeks, but honestly, with the other guitars you've mentioned, I may wait that long and save up so that I'm not so financially limited (moving is expensive).
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
dannyalcatraz

I'm an Army brat- moving IS expensive. And time consuming. And distracting.

Note: it looks like that Trans-Amber one on Frets' website is some kind of limited or discontinued edition. On Fret-King's website, the Fret-King Esprit 5 is only shown in black.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
Ippon
Amped

^ Mine's the Flat Green one.

SteveHOC, play with the Jag some more, Maybe, even check out the JagStang (short scale).
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz

It seems Fret-King has added some axes to their lineup since I last looked at their website...I may have or revise my G.A.S.list! Besides the Supra 60SP and the Blue Label Venturas, they now list a Black Label Ventura with a bridge HB and a pair of mini-HBs...

http://www.fret-king.com/venturablacklabel.html

The only thing slowing me down is price...I ain't buying an assload of Fret-Kings unless they are on sale.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #32
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
^ Mine's the Flat Green one.

I'm confused- the flat green one what?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #33
Ippon
Amped

Fernandes Ravelle.

Also, the Gibson '70s Firebird was closed out by SamAsh for $500. I bet the other chains will close them out for cheap, too.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
SteveHOC
Used Register

Those Fret-Kings are pretty awesome looking guitars! I love the off-kilter designs (and the mini-humbuckers in middle and neck is a cool idea too).

I was really tempted by a 70's Firebird a little while back, but having owned a Firebird previously, I knew all too well how unwieldy I can be with them. I think the SG's have mostly gone out, but I had entertained the idea of a 70's SG in the burst (not silver burst).
Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #35
Ippon
Amped

No interest in the Jag or JagStang?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #36
SteveHOC
Used Register

I love both of my Jags, I'm just not sure I want to make it a trio. The Jag Stang is interesting, I've never played one of those before. Are you a fan?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
dannyalcatraz

The Reverse Firebird is one of the few "pointy" guitars I could see myself owning, but the Fernandes Vertigo and that Fret-King Esprits are contenders as well.

I have no real love for SGs myself, but I saw a high-end one last year with a deep, rich sparkle finish- a trio, actually, one in dark green, one in dark red, one in dark blue. Stunning. But again, for over $1800, it damn well better have some exemplary features!

Alas, I never figured out which model it was, so even if I saved up the $$$ to buy one, I couldn't. However, I did find the US Masters Hornet, which is every bit as stunning in its own way. I priced one out- their business model is like Carvin's- and with the fancy-schmancy maltese cross inlays and purple blackburst quilt, it was over $2300. It may be a while before I own one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-19-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
AWACS
I want all of the things

How about the Omar Rodrigues Lopez sig? It does have single coils, but if you really liked it I'm sure you could swap out the lone single coil for a stacked humbucker. Its different anyways, though you'd possibly be leaning more on effects for your tone. If you can find it: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAORM1

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #39
SteveHOC
Used Register

That Fernandes Vertigo has some Danelectro qualities to it. Kind of that pseudo-vintage look, which is executed very well. I think you've got a hell of a lot more "play" money than I do, Danny, and I'm jealous! I have only a vague interest in an SG, I really want to like them, and liked the one that I owned, but not enough to keep it.

I liked Omar with ATDI, but like you said, this one doesn't have a whole lot of versatility outside of the stomp boxes (of which I have many). I do like Ibanez though, and I bet this quality of that guitar is awesome. I had considered looking at some of the vintage Ibanez Artist series, but I'd have to find one locally for the right price, which can be tricky.

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate your thoughts on this!

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-19-2013 at 11:41 PM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #40
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I think you've got a hell of a lot more "play" money than I do, Danny, and I'm jealous!

I'm single, no significant other, no kids: yes, I have more "play" money...which is why I sing da blues.

But most guitars just wind up on my super--epic G.A.S. list. My guesstimate is its over $100k in total cost- and going up all the time- I won't be getting most of them unless I win the Nigerian lottery...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-20-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Rate This Thread: