User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #41
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I'm single, no significant other, no kids: yes, I have more "play" money...which is why I sing da blues.

But most guitars just wind up on my super--epic G.A.S. list.

Ah! Enough said, no kids here either, but lets just say that college degrees don't guarantee lucrative jobs (as I was once told).

After taking a serious look at the guitars brought to my attention, my GAS list has freakin' doubled. There are so many great options for something a little "different" out there.

Also, and not to keep the thread going, but are the Orville LP's decent for the most part? Saw one for $500 and it caught my eye. It was a 1990 I believe, if that matters.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-20-2013 at 01:46 AM.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #42
dannyalcatraz

The only thing I could tell you is that Orville was a Japanese line produced in partnership with Gibson starting in 1988. I'd think they were pretty good.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #43
dannyalcatraz

Hey, do you play slide at all? If so, you might want to check out Red Dog guitars or Daddy Mojo guitars- both make cigar box guitars, and fairly nice ones, at that.

(No, I don't own one, but my G.A.S. list...)

Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #44
SteveHOC
Used Register

Nah, that may happen someday, but most of my open tuning comes with some fun finger picking/tap (a-la This Town Needs Guns).

I tried to integrate a slide into the last band I was in (a progressive pop-rock band), but the idea got scrapped, so I went the other way with it and grabbed a bow and ebow.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #45
dannyalcatraz

I suck at slide, myself...but I want to work on it. Been thinking about a a Godin Richmond Belmont for slide, but those Red Dogs...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #46
Robbgnarly

Orville guitars are very good quality and $500 is a great deal if it is in good shape
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #47
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Orville guitars are very good quality and $500 is a great deal if it is in good shape

Good to hear. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Les Paul, but this one caught my eye for sure.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #48
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Good to hear. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Les Paul, but this one caught my eye for sure.

The last few I have seen were ~$900+

Orville's are rare in the USA they were made for only japan from what I have read.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #49
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
I suck at slide, myself...but I want to work on it. Been thinking about a a Godin Richmond Belmont for slide, but those Red Dogs...

I wish I had the drive for slide, and once I get past the genres I've written in for the last few years, I will probably give it a shot. Hell, I want to learn the banjo too! Someday I shall do those things.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #50
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The last few I have seen were ~$900+

Orville's are rare in the USA they were made for only japan from what I have read.

Here's the one I came across, it could be totally bogus though:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...nid=41107998639

I'm also not comfortable buying off eBay, so there would have to be a damn good reason for me to pick this up.

I should also add that I do work on my own guitars, and short of fretwork, can deal with the rest. Still, the price and shipping makes me shy away from it, so that one is kicked.

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-20-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #51
dannyalcatraz

Ummm...that looks good.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #52
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Ummm...that looks good.

Really? Worth the price and shipping?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #53
Ippon
Amped

It's not pristine but I'd hit it.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #54
bobafettacheese

Just now got caught up with this thread. That Orville looks legit, and the price is great, but don't forget that $135 shipping cost. if you venture down that rabbit hole, don't forget to check out Burny's, Greco's, early made Tokai's and Edwards.
FWIW, danny can be very persuasive. A while ago I bought a Reverend without even playing it (online) and it has been a great guitar. Mine has the p90's which were hotter than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise, and I have received a lot of compliments on the guitar.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #55
SteveHOC
Used Register

Yeah, I've looked into the Japanese brands some, and they do get high praise. That seller has quite a few similar Orville's up for around that price, so maybe I'll peruse those as well.

As far as the Reverends go, I've got a line on the orange Flatroc still, and got in touch with another seller (after lots of digging) about a Warhawk 390, brand new, for $500.
I'm also intrigued by a Buckshot I came across, but I'm not sure of that over the Flatroc.
So you dig those P90's? Are they noisey (relative to the fact the P90's are always a touch noisey)?

For others into Orville:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/view...nid=47736294963

Last edited by SteveHOC : 04-20-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #56
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
FWIW, danny can be very persuasive.

Aw, shucks!

I honestly know jack-all about the Japanese LPs like Orville, Greco, Edwards, Burny and Tokai, but the guys in the "Ultimate LP" thread swear by them, and they are always posting some beauties. Maybe a quick post there would get you some quality answers.

There must be something to them, though.

And I really haven't ventured that deeply into used guitars. I purchased a second-hand Tacoma last year, and that's it. (I have flirted with some used Godins, another Tacoma and a Patrick Eggle but always lost out to someone quicker on the trigger.)

Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
As far as the Reverends go, I've got a line on the orange Flatroc still, and got in touch with another seller (after lots of digging) about a Warhawk 390, brand new, for $500.
I'm also intrigued by a Buckshot I came across, but I'm not sure of that over the Flatroc.

You already expressed concern about the Buckshot's bridge pickup being very close to your comfort zone, which you are trying to avoid. I'd say listen to that inner voice. It is probably a great guitar, but it doesn't satisfy one of your core objectives in this purchase. That could lead to buyer's remorse.

My guess is that the Flatroc would simply make you happier...especially with your significant other expressing a love for orange. Buying an orange Flatroc tics a lot of your boxes, and taking her opinion into very obvious consideration? That's like a win-win.

But a Warhawk 390 for $500 is nothing to sneeze at! I haven't heard any of Rev's P90s, but damn! That's dirt cheap for a korina guitar of any kind. Is it one of the 2013 red ones with a Bigsby or the hardtail metallic gold blackburst? Or is it an unsold older one from 2012 or earlier?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-20-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #58
bobafettacheese

+1^
Making your significant other happy when you're buying more guitars is always a plus.
As far as the p90's are concerned I have not had any problem with them being too noisy unless I m throwing a lot of gain their way, but then again a lot of pickups can suffer from the same issue.
My biggest praise about Reverend guitars is the neck. It is very comfortable. My guitar is built very well, cannot complain. Getting the 390 for $500 is a pretty sweet deal.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #59
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
You already expressed concern about the Buckshot's bridge pickup being very close to your comfort zone, which you are trying to avoid. I'd say listen to that inner voice. It is probably a great guitar, but it doesn't satisfy one of your core objectives in this purchase. That could lead to buyer's remorse.

My guess is that the Flatroc would simply make you happier...especially with your significant other expressing a love for orange. Buying an orange Flatroc tics a lot of your boxes, and taking her opinion into very obvious consideration? That's like a win-win.

But a Warhawk 390 for $500 is nothing to sneeze at! I haven't heard any of Rev's P90s, but damn! That's dirt cheap for a korina guitar of any kind. Is it one of the 2013 red ones with a Bigsby or the hardtail metallic gold blackburst? Or is it an unsold older one from 2012 or earlier?

Excellent point, and I appreciate you reminding me of that. I definitely need to make the most of something different if I'm getting something new.
You are also correct about the wife's opinion - she's tolerant of my hobby, and she's bordering on supportive with this guitar.

That said, the 390 is an older, hard-tail version in the sunburst. It's a 2007 and still has plastic on the pick guard, so god knows it will probably need quite a setup if I got it.

I think the Flatroc is a go, you guys are making a lot of sense here, and I appreciate that.
Danny, you should be getting commissioned by Reverend! You've got at least two people digging them!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #60
ilikepie
UG Newbie

ilikepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: