Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
thelax

what do you think about airtight guitar cases?

Ok, I'm about to leave my country to study overseas in a couple of months, and cannot take both of my guitars with me.

long story short, I'm looking for a case that can keep my James Tyler strat safe and sound for an extended period of time (and I mean EXTENDED... like couple of years)

Now, the weather in South Korea is a biotch, things tend to get ugly especially in the metal hardware parts when left in the case, unattended, for that amount of time (even WITH one or two moisture sucking pads in the case)

That's when I found this thing:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...tar-flight-case

It seems like something built to survive the second coming of christ,
but the important thing is that it's supposed to be waterproof, vapor-proof, and airtight

I've emailed SKB, and they told me that it's not 100% airtight (which would make it impossible to open the case in the first place)
but it WILL let air and moistrue OUT of the case while not letting them IN.

I'm thinking of getting one of these and keeping my Tyler in it along with a moisture removal pad or two when I leave.

My question is, does this sound like a pretty certain way to minimize any damage from humidity/atmosphere while keeping the guitar unattended for a lengthy amount of time?

Are there any other methods that you guys want to suggest (assuming that it won't be attended by anyone who actually knows how to handle instruments)

P.S. taking it with me is currently out of question; I'm already taking my main workhorse with me, and there is simply not enough room to accomodate both.

P.S. 2. selling my Tyler isn't an option. the thing has emotional value to me personally, and it is more than its value in dollars.
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
thelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Roc8995

250 is way expensive for a case. I'd just get a few rolls of plastic wrap and seal up the case you already have.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
250 is way expensive for a case. I'd just get a few rolls of plastic wrap and seal up the case you already have.

would that react with the finish over time? i don't know, just throwing that out there.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
thelax

Quote:

yeah it IS a bit steep a price to dash out for just a case,
but I thought it would be worth it if it can keep my Tyler from rusting and twisting over time.

but then again, I've never thought about wrapping the whole case in plastic wrap.... theoretically it should make it literally 'airtight'..... anybody else have any input on this???
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
thelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
would that react with the finish over time? i don't know, just throwing that out there.

The finish of the case?

I think Roc is recommending that TS put his guitar in the case, then wrap the case in plastic, not the guitar in plastic.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Roc8995

Yeah, that was the idea. Get it in a regular hardshell, then just wrap the whole case with a mile of saran wrap. If all you need to do is keep humidity out, that's probably the easiest way.

If you were really concerned about humidity or oxidation you could get some compressed nitrogen and try to displace some of the ambient air in there. But that's getting extreme.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Couldn't care less about the case, but man that tele in the 6th picture looks gorgeous

:p
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Yeah, that was the idea. Get it in a regular hardshell, then just wrap the whole works with a mile of saran wrap.

2 large plastic garbage bags placed on from opposite ends, overlapped and sealed with duct tape is easier and more likely to ensure an airtight seal. (I've actually got some industrial garbage bags that are long enough that you only need one, even for a bass case, but TS may not be able to find them.)

As long as the humidity isn't too high when the case is sealed, there's no reason these methods shouldn't protect well and last years, at a fraction of the cost of the case above.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
I think Roc is recommending that TS put his guitar in the case, then wrap the case in plastic, not the guitar in plastic.

oh.

yeah that's a good idea.

oops.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork

Anyone that's stored guns for extended periods of time knows the secret isn't securing them in an airtight container. It's keeping them in an environment with free air flow. With guitars you don't want to keep them in an environment with 0% humidity, but you don't want to saturate them either. If you're that worried about it get one of the humidifiers they make for acoustics and throw it in the case to call it good. They make digital models where you can set a specific amount of humidity too.

EDIT: I see you're worried about going the other way. I'm sure they make something that does just the opposite
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D : 04-19-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Flux'D is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: