User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #61
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.
A. Whitney Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut
I will. I'm thinking about a bacon burger for lunch. Five Guys, anyone?
Quote:
You can't get bird flu from cooked poultry, or pork, or beef.

And eating fish is far more ecologically damaging.
Also mercury.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #62
Scorpyin

I refuse to properly contribute to this thread because I haven't read anything that anyone says, and instead I'll say that eating only one kind of anything is nothing short of stupid. Here's an article about a dinosaur that shows you why eating only one thing is stupid (same thing as anyone who only eats meat... if that exists) ... http://www.dinosaurfact.net/Cretaceous/Nigersaurus.php
Scorpyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #63
I.O.T.M
UG's Malcolm Tucker

I couldn't give a fuck if other people still eat meat. I think it's wrong, so I don't do it.

Stood by the gate at the foot of the garden,
Watching them pass like clouds in the sky,
Try to cry out in the heat of the moment,
Possessed by a fury that burns from inside.

#QPRRelegationParty2k15
I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #64
whoisntthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guodlca
Okay. 25% of the worlds population becomes vegetarian today. Do you still serve just as much from now on? No, because 25% is quite alot?
At what percent does it become noticeable then? 5, 10, 15%?
You can't just set a percentage at which it becomes noticeable and at that point it does actually decrease the production of meat.

There is actually an entire branch of mathematics that deals with setting a percentage at which it becomes noticeable. Granted you are right, in that you actually have to use it.
whoisntthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #65
ohp-kyle
Old Hick Messiah

I'm a vegan. I initially became a vegetarian because I couldn't tolerate the idea of an animal going through a factory farm just because I happened to think that it tasted good.

The argument about teeth is false, or at least equivocal. Humans have molars and our jaws can move from side to side in order to grind. That's not characteristic of a meat eater.

Vegan/vegetarian diets harming children is also false. There are plenty of websites that share the horrors of kids being raised as vegetarians/vegans. Here's one: http://whatstheharm.net/childvegetarianism.html. But a lot of those cases have problems aside from a vegetable-based diet. Here's a website that says vegan kids are just fine: http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eat...ids-to-be-vegan.

Do what you feel you must, I suppose.
ohp-kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #66
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohp-kyle
I'm a vegan. I initially became a vegetarian because I couldn't tolerate the idea of an animal going through a factory farm just because I happened to think that it tasted good.

The argument about teeth is false, or at least equivocal. Humans have molars and our jaws can move from side to side in order to grind. That's not characteristic of a meat eater.

That's because we're omnivores, not carnivores.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #67
mjones1992

I'm not going to read all the comments, but, speaking as a vegetarian, there's plenty of books out there you can read about the practices of the farms that provide 95% of the meat that's consumed. To put it lightly, it's disgusting. Not so much the treatment of the animals, but the treatment of the meat. I could care less about how they treat the animals. It's more about what happens to my body when I'm consuming meat.

It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd like to put into my body. I'm already killing myself by smoking and drinking, and lack of exercise. It's one extra thing I can do to keep myself a little bit healthier. Yes, it's a hassle trying to find adequate protein for my diet, but I don't think that out-weighs the amount of hassle my body would be going through trying to digest some of the shit that's in the meat sold at supermarkets and restaurants.

Also, I haven't had heartburn or food poisoning (not once) since switching. I used to get heartburn a few times a week (as a 13-year-old).

Also, there's tons and tons of substitutes to make the transition easier, as well as make it less stressful to find something to eat. There's a soy/vegetable version of every meat you can think of (except maybe prosciutto off the top of my head). So family's having burgers tonight? no prob. I got veggie burgers. Having hotdogs? no prob. Tacos? no prob. It's not that difficult.

And to those that argue only eating one thing is unhealthy? Sorry. I'm still eating 4/5 of the food groups. So that's not even really a valid argument.

Last edited by mjones1992 : 04-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #68
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohp-kyle

That's because we're omnivores.

The teeth argument is rubbish, but not because they have the wrong type of teeth.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #69
FearMyLightning
Banned

A could days ago I had THE BEST steak I've ever had. You fagemetarians don't get to enjoy that. Infact just keep eating your vegetemables, more meat for me then.
FearMyLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #70
skylerjames13
eGraham is stupidbuttface

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeakyFlask
Didn't jrcsgtpeppers use to be fairly reasonable? Looking at his avatar I feel like I used to read his posts and quite enjoy them, or at least not cringe from them. Now he's been consistently stoned for months, makes way too many poorly formulated threads about metaphysical matters and seems to be unable to grasp rather simple concepts like supply and demand.

He's like a living, breathing anti-drug campaign.

Yeah he used to be alright, but then he started going crazy. He's like Due 07 v2. Was good to begin with, then went crazy

skylerjames13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #71
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB-84
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/veget...ad-environment/

"most of the animals we eat consume grass, we don’t. We instead can take our energy from the meat that was fed something we can’t eat. By growing crops of corn, wheat or soy where there would normally be grass, we destroy those animal’s natural feeding grounds in larger and larger portions. Those animals often can’t adapt to the ecosystem change and end-up dying. Therefore, eating lots of soy, wheat or corn based products indirectly kills more animals and top soil than eating a Paleo diet with lots of meat."

That is all.

This is so retardeded. Those animals grazing in fields are fed crops that are grown elsewhere, crops that are also used for humans. We are not replacing fields of grass with other crops.
In fact, we would use LESS CROPS if we stopped eating meat and so would SAVE more empty fields that could be turned over to nature.
I'll post this again, here's a source that isn't a BS site with an agenda, but an actual UN study http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...-meat-free-diet

Vegetarianism is good for the environment. Fact.
EDIT: That site is so bad in many many many ways, that I won't even begin to list as it would turn into an essay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut
We are designed by evolution to eat meat. That's why all the vegetarians have to eat tofu, nuts, or take protein supplements because its worse for you to not get any protein and complex amino acid chains. Animals are the only food source that contain all of the amino acids, those that don't eat animals have to play mix and match if they want all the essential (not produced naturally in our bodies) amino acids.

And meat just tastes so damn good.

This is wrong.
Vegetarian diets may be lower in protein, but they DO contain ALL ESSENTIAL amino acids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein
When you body build (which needs more protein then normal), you don't eat meat. You eat milk/eggs (or protein drinks... which are derived from milk).

Vegan diets may lack some if you don't eat a balanced diet (no shit) due to lack of dairy. And even then... it's so rare for someone to only eat ONE food type exclusively. This isn't even an issue tbh.
And a veggie/vegan diet may have lower protein then meat, but still plenty for any person to survive on.

Also, because we are designed to eat meat doesn't mean we have to. We're not designed to fly but we do. Our intelligence > our biology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlic
IAnd one more thing VEGETARIANS!!
Can you please not torture your babies/kids with veggies only? It has been proven that kids that don't eat meat don't grow the same as kids that do eat meat.
The human race eats meat since the beginning, we need it. You can say that you get enough proteins from vegetables, but you don't get the same enzymes, some acids or some sort of stuff I can't remember...Until you can grow a steak on a tree, please stop torturing your kids. They need meat at least once a week.

I stopped meat at around 10 years old.
I have never heard of lack of meat affecting child development and I can't think of a reason why that be the case. Any sources?
Also, a veggie diet doesn't lack anything for kids.
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO

Last edited by Simsimius : 04-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #72
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
This is so retardeded. Those animals grazing in fields are fed crops that are grown elsewhere, crops that are also used for humans. We are not replacing fields of grass with other crops.

Not quite true, most animal feed is created from grains that are unsuitable for human consumption. Of course, human edible grains could be grown in those fields (local soil acidity and stuff aside), but then frankly the destruction of habitats wouldn't drop by a very great degree. In some ways the fact we have to grow different varieties of grain for humans and animals prevents there from being such a big problem with a monoculture.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #73
c3powil
on a coconut estate

I've considered going vegan for the health benefits. Watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives". It gives a lot of good reasons and proof that a whole foods, plant based diet is much better for the human body than eating animal meant and animal byproducts (dairy). I encourage everyone in this thread, no matter what side you're on, to watch that documentary.

I don't think I would ever consider becoming vegan or even vegetarian for the animal rights aspect. While I don't agree with the way that many farm animals are treated, meat is just soooo good. AND CHEESE!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #74
Oddsbodkins
Headdie The Ed

Just about all the anti-vegetarianism stuff out there is bollocks.

That being said, I still eat meat (because it's really tasty); I think eating meat and other animal products is fine in principle, although currently a lot of farming methods are disgustingly inhumane. Where possible I buy free range or whatever, which might not have as big an impact on the food industry as being vegetarian but it's still better than nothing.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #75
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.

Quote:
Not quite true, most animal feed is created from grains that are unsuitable for human consumption. Of course, human edible grains could be grown in those fields (local soil acidity and stuff aside), but then frankly the destruction of habitats wouldn't drop by a very great degree. In some ways the fact we have to grow different varieties of grain for humans and animals prevents there from being such a big problem with a monoculture.

Yep that's true, although I always thought it was crops that weren't up to standard to the rest, so it seems that I may be wrong here.
Couldn't, and I believe this is just speculation on my part, we use those grains destined for animals in the production of biofuels instead?

Either way though, vegetarianism won't turn those animal-grazed fields into more crops destined for humans (which is what that post/site was claiming).
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Simsimius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #76
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo

Gotta love eating green. Here's something tasty all the veggies will love:

Delicious Vegetables!!!

Yes

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #77
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimius
Yep that's true, although I always thought it was crops that weren't up to standard to the rest, so it seems that I may be wrong here.
Couldn't, and I believe this is just speculation on my part, we use those grains destined for animals in the production of biofuels instead?

Either way though, vegetarianism won't turn those animal-grazed fields into more crops destined for humans (which is what that post/site was claiming).

Oh I quite agree, I was just being a pedant.

And actually, that's an interesting idea: if we did away with animals could we use the what would be animal feed for biofuel? I don't know much about biofuel production but I assume some grains are better at it than others, but it would certainly be a good way to kill two birds (metaphorically speaking, no animals would be harmed ).
Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #78
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3powil
I've considered going vegan for the health benefits. Watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives". It gives a lot of good reasons and proof that a whole foods, plant based diet is much better for the human body than eating animal meant and animal byproducts (dairy). I encourage everyone in this thread, no matter what side you're on, to watch that documentary.

I don't think I would ever consider becoming vegan or even vegetarian for the animal rights aspect. While I don't agree with the way that many farm animals are treated, meat is just soooo good. AND CHEESE!

i agree with you wholeheartedly. sometimes i just feel like having more veggies and no meat for the sake of eating healthier. don't care really care enough about animal rights to change the way things are right now.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #79
ultradogfromhel
love

I wouldn't want to be killed and eaten, so I don't eat animals.
ultradogfromhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #80
FrauVfromPoB
A Reasonably Talented Guy

Humans are animals. Animals eat meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lightfoot
I opened the door and went round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off.
FrauVfromPoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: