Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
singingbarely

Travel Guitar/Small Guitar?

Looking for a cheap travel-sized guitar that's playable when i'm bored. Just want one to kick around, don't need amazing sound but Solid Top would be preferred.

List some models please.
singingbarely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

you don't mention how cheap is cheap, but i'll take a stab at this.

lessee... the little martin is one of the better sounding 3/4 dreads to my ear. it has more bass than most of the competitors. the solid top models i've tried didn't sound any better to me than the all laminate models, however.

the laguna LD1 (also called the little brat) sounds good for its size, has a solid top and looks pretty nice. costs just over half of the little martin.

one of the cheapest of the decent 3/4 dreads is the yamaha jr1 and has the shortest scale at only 21 1/4". it sounds much better with the right strings - silk and steel or DR phosphor bronze rares sound best to me. all laminate.

and if you're looking for a very small, quiet guitar, the washburn rover is cheap, has a solid top, and sounds good played quietly. as small as it is - and it's SMALL - it sounds decent unless you put any energy into it. then its small size doesn't deliver. i used silk and steels on mine - the tension was lower but it sounded purtier.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
singingbarely

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
you don't mention how cheap is cheap, but i'll take a stab at this.

lessee... the little martin is one of the better sounding 3/4 dreads to my ear. it has more bass than most of the competitors. the solid top models i've tried didn't sound any better to me than the all laminate models, however.

the laguna LD1 (also called the little brat) sounds good for its size, has a solid top and looks pretty nice. costs just over half of the little martin.

one of the cheapest of the decent 3/4 dreads is the yamaha jr1 and has the shortest scale at only 21 1/4". it sounds much better with the right strings - silk and steel or DR phosphor bronze rares sound best to me. all laminate.

and if you're looking for a very small, quiet guitar, the washburn rover is cheap, has a solid top, and sounds good played quietly. as small as it is - and it's SMALL - it sounds decent unless you put any energy into it. then its small size doesn't deliver. i used silk and steels on mine - the tension was lower but it sounded purtier.

Anything cheaper than the Yamaha? If not then it's fine. Any idea where I could buy used?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the yamaha is only $129. every cheaper travel guitar i've tried sounded like dung, and honestly some folks consider the yamaha isn't worth playing. used? try your local cl, although i haven't seen one on mine. you could try ebay, but used means you'd pay shipping, which would probably bring it close to the new price. hohner has a $99 guitar - i haven't tried it, but it might be acceptable to you.

there's the classical version of the yamaha. it sounds a little better, is the same size with a slightly wider nut. if you wait for the next holiday sale, you can probably grab it for $99 from musiciansfriend - i got mine for $99 from guitar center, but i had to pay sales tax.

if cheap is your main concern and you don't need a really small guitar, the rogue starter guitar actually sounds decent (at least ours does) and if you're lucky will be well intonated (ours is, but this will be the luck of the draw). the description you'll find everywhere makes it sound like a little guitar, but it isn't - it's smaller than a dread but larger than a standard classical. you can get it for under $60 with free shipping at musicians friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...acoustic-guitar

Last edited by patticake : 04-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Bikewer

Then there's the Yamaha guitarlele, advertised as a 6-string uke. They are really small and only 100 bucks.
Most consider them to be a 'really small guitar" rather than a 6-string uke.

They are small enough that you need to re-work your fingering habits a bit, but I'm getting quite fond of mine after putting some D'Addario Pro Arte strings on..
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i have a guitalele, too - doesn't sound like a guitar, more like a uke with a couple lower strings. that being said, the tuning allows you to play it like a guitar and it's $99. i tune mine to G instead of A and it sounds a bit less uke-like. and yeah, those short frets definitely mean a bit more precision when fingering.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
bignaughtydog

Hi all. I am working on a travel guitar design for a university project. I am looking for feedback regarding current travel guitars used and any associated problems that may have been encountered and any desirable features that users would like to see incorporated within a new travel guitar design.

Please feel free to say anything at all regarding your experiences of such and any ideas you may have for a new design.

Some questions i have are:

Would you like to see a different type of acoustic or electric guitar to those on offer?

How many frets would you like? (i am thinking of a 12 fret for compactness).

What body shape? i am thinking of a semi acoustic telecaster shape with pickups fitted.

Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your participation and even for simply reading this request.
bignaughtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Chrisansie

Naughty dog, I have a thing about airlines insisting that my guitar goes in the hold where the temperature is not well regulated. I now have a Maton Mini 12 string acoustic electric, model EML/12. All the woods are solid Australian renewal forest timbers. Its overall length is 93cm - 3 feet plus half and inch- and 19 frets, with the last four over the soundbox. The action is easy and the sound is great, considering its size. You can get it in a classical (nylon) or 6 string steel string version. Comes with a Maton hard case worth about $200 US. The Maton Mini is expensive at $1400 Australian, but worth every cent. Best of all, it is small enough to be classified hand luggage. Read more on Maton's website. My view is that this is more than just a travelling guitar. It is the real thing in a small package.
Chrisansie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
bignaughtydog

Hey Chrisansie, thats a nice guitar, just seen on youtube. Would you compromise of fret number? Ie, 19 down to 17? You seem to like your guitar (obviously) but what would you change, add too, subtract from your guitar?
bignaughtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
singingbarely

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaughtydog
Hi all. I am working on a travel guitar design for a university project. I am looking for feedback regarding current travel guitars used and any associated problems that may have been encountered and any desirable features that users would like to see incorporated within a new travel guitar design.

Please feel free to say anything at all regarding your experiences of such and any ideas you may have for a new design.

Some questions i have are:

Would you like to see a different type of acoustic or electric guitar to those on offer?

How many frets would you like? (i am thinking of a 12 fret for compactness).

What body shape? i am thinking of a semi acoustic telecaster shape with pickups fitted.

Any feedback at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your participation and even for simply reading this request.

What do you mean by different type? A folding guitar would be cool. Like, the neck would fold up.

I like having 21 frets.

Dreadnought with Cutaway would be nice. Thin for compactness would work great.

You'd have the make the scale quite a bit smaller though.
And intonation?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

a folding guitar - voyage air makes both solid top and all solid models with very handy cases and full scale lengths. intonation on the ones i tried was spot on. http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

in the higher price range are the brunner guitars http://www.brunner-guitars.com where you can order your own custom folding travel guitar in all solid woods.

for that matter, a third option is the taylor big baby. the neck is bolted on and easy to remove, takes less than a minute.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
Emster 23

I was looking for a 3/4 couple of months ago on trip to Bangkok. Got myself a Crafter TV34EQ, which is quite nice, but tried some cheap ones too. If you can get a try out of an Oscar Schmitt 3/4 it sounded surprisingly good stacked up against Taylors and Martins, and think they go for around $100 in USA. Non electric of course at that price. Seen on Amazon, and could always send it back if don't like, hassle tho that is. Here's a link I found to get a listen of sorts...
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
Chrisansie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignaughtydog
Hey Chrisansie, thats a nice guitar, just seen on youtube. Would you compromise of fret number? Ie, 19 down to 17? You seem to like your guitar (obviously) but what would you change, add too, subtract from your guitar?

Sorry, I only saw your post today. I have strung my Mini Maton as a nylon 12 string and it works absolutely fine. Yes, 17 frets would work for me as I seldom venture that far up the neck.
Chrisansie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: