Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Another dilemma.

Hi all. I have a Schecter Damien 6 FR. It has EMG H4 pickups.
My problem is I don't reallly like the pickups much. I'm thinking of replacing the pickups. But then comes this dilemma:
Is it worth it? Okay, it has Grover tuners, but it also has low-spec parts such as a licensed Floyd Rose, Basswod body and Rosewood fretboard.
What do you think I should do?

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Basswood and rosewood aren't necessarily 'low-spec'. I don't dispute that the Damien series is a lower-end model, just that to call all rosewood and basswood low-end is inaccurate.

Anyway.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve and how you play. Changing pickups can only really do two things: one way is to change to a different wind of the same type of pickup, e.g. high-output humbucker to low-output humbucker, to change response and dynamics; the other way is to totally change the character of your sound, such as swapping a humbucker for a P-90.

What a pickup can't do is revolutionise your tone, make a cheap guitar sound like an expensive one or make an inappropriate amp sound like the amp of your dreams. There is no pickup on earth that will make your guitar sound like it is made of premium ash and ebony. No pickup will make a Valveking sound like a Vox AC30. A pickup is just some wire wrapped in a loop and a magnet. It can't work miracles, regardless of what the marketing claims.

So whether a pickup change is worth it or not depends entirely on what it is about your current sound you are unhappy with, how you play, how you set up your rig and the sort of response and sound you want to end up with. Let us know how you want to change your sound specifically and we can offer some solutions.

I will add that though EMG's passive pickups have a bad reputation, they are somewhat better-made and designed than your typical nameless stock pickups on cheaper guitars. The big mistake many people make with the H4 is putting it close to the strings, thinking they need to get the most output out of it. The design of the H4 means it should be placed further from the strings than usual, in order to get the intended tone. Of course, depending on what sort of response you want, you might prefer it even closer to the strings anyway. Always play with the height of your pickups before replacing them entirely, you'd be surprised at the range of sounds and response you can get just by moving the pickups a few millimetres.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
KillerLolrus
Mac Hater

Much like Mrflibble said, try to adjust the pickups and see if you find a different tone that is more suitable before actually replacing the pup. Worst comes to worst and it doesn't happen you could always attempt to either sell the damien and pickup a new guitar or bite the bullet and replace the pups with something a bit more suited for you.
KillerLolrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Basswood and rosewood aren't necessarily 'low-spec'. I don't dispute that the Damien series is a lower-end model, just that to call all rosewood and basswood low-end is inaccurate.

Anyway.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve and how you play. Changing pickups can only really do two things: one way is to change to a different wind of the same type of pickup, e.g. high-output humbucker to low-output humbucker, to change response and dynamics; the other way is to totally change the character of your sound, such as swapping a humbucker for a P-90.

What a pickup can't do is revolutionise your tone, make a cheap guitar sound like an expensive one or make an inappropriate amp sound like the amp of your dreams. There is no pickup on earth that will make your guitar sound like it is made of premium ash and ebony. No pickup will make a Valveking sound like a Vox AC30. A pickup is just some wire wrapped in a loop and a magnet. It can't work miracles, regardless of what the marketing claims.

So whether a pickup change is worth it or not depends entirely on what it is about your current sound you are unhappy with, how you play, how you set up your rig and the sort of response and sound you want to end up with. Let us know how you want to change your sound specifically and we can offer some solutions.

I will add that though EMG's passive pickups have a bad reputation, they are somewhat better-made and designed than your typical nameless stock pickups on cheaper guitars. The big mistake many people make with the H4 is putting it close to the strings, thinking they need to get the most output out of it. The design of the H4 means it should be placed further from the strings than usual, in order to get the intended tone. Of course, depending on what sort of response you want, you might prefer it even closer to the strings anyway. Always play with the height of your pickups before replacing them entirely, you'd be surprised at the range of sounds and response you can get just by moving the pickups a few millimetres.

I've messed about with my pickup height, but had no satisfaction. I'm trying to get a good Distorted, Thrashy tone that roars when playing powerchords but can also sound tight when chugging.
As you've stated. it's not a very high end guitar, and I think changing what are known as bad pickups for something better wouldn't be worth it, so I had the idea of selling it and putting it together with some other money to buy an Ibanez IC500, which I've seen for around 450. I like the guitar, tried a similar guitar and it's a higher end guitar than the Schecter. What do you think?

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: