Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
bAngiel01

Trade Vypyr for Vetta II?

Someone recently asked If I'd be willing to trade my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for his Line 6 Vetta II combo. I'm not really sure how these amps compare, and digging up good sound clips for the Vetta has proven to be very difficult.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether or not this trade is even worth considering?

Thanks!
bAngiel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Does the trader have the floorboard? Like the floorboards for the vyper it adds a lot of flexibility to the amp. I haven't played a vetta but I know its something to be concidered.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
bAngiel01

No, he does not have the floorboard. I have the Sanpera II, but I don't use it often if at all, so it's not too big of a deal. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
MatrixClaw
UG God

The Vetta is worth more, but having owned 2 Vettas in the past, I'd probably take the Vypyr over it. Don't get me wrong, the Vetta sounds nice, but there's a reason it has such a high wattage power amp... the amp sounds great in the room but as soon as you put it into a band mix, it gets drowned out, because it has a severe lack of mids, even with the mids cranked. The Vypyr just sounds more alive to me and realistic

But... You could probably trade and if you end up not liking it, sell it for more than your Vypyr was worth, and buy another
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

I like the Vetta, and would do the trade just because the Vetta is worth more

I do agree that most Line 6 amps have a very bad problem cutting through a mix. Even my Spider Valve had a hard time, so this is something to consider
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

I'd take the Vetta II over the Vyper any day. I love my Vetta II...tried the Vyper and wasn't too impressed.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAngiel01
Someone recently asked If I'd be willing to trade my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for his Line 6 Vetta II combo. I'm not really sure how these amps compare, and digging up good sound clips for the Vetta has proven to be very difficult.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether or not this trade is even worth considering?

Thanks!

I have a Vetta 2 HD.

Do it.

It's amazing. Even if you don't like it you could sell it and buy a fair few Vypyrs. Check it's all working cause it sounds too good to be true.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
The Vetta is worth more, but having owned 2 Vettas in the past, I'd probably take the Vypyr over it. Don't get me wrong, the Vetta sounds nice, but there's a reason it has such a high wattage power amp... the amp sounds great in the room but as soon as you put it into a band mix, it gets drowned out, because it has a severe lack of mids, even with the mids cranked. The Vypyr just sounds more alive to me and realistic

But... You could probably trade and if you end up not liking it, sell it for more than your Vypyr was worth, and buy another

Couldn't that issue be worked out with an EQ rackmount or EQ pedal?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
bAngiel01

Thanks for all the responses! When I go to look at it, I will definitely make sure it's in full working order and whatnot. I've been told that it is, but I'll check myself.

The issues with the mids has piqued my interest. I don't want to get something that won't work in a live situations. Otherwise, I feel like I'm getting a lot of yes's. I might just do it!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAngiel01
Thanks for all the responses! When I go to look at it, I will definitely make sure it's in full working order and whatnot. I've been told that it is, but I'll check myself.

The issues with the mids has piqued my interest. I don't want to get something that won't work in a live situations. Otherwise, I feel like I'm getting a lot of yes's. I might just do it!

The Vetta takes a lot of tweaking. Like a lot. It's not a NORMAL amp by any means. You genuinely have to spend weeks to find your sound. I gig regularly with mine and I cut through the mix well, I have a very mid heavy sound (metalcore chugalug) and it sounds far better than the other guitarists Bugera 6262
Old 04-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

That's a tough question, and one I've been debating myself for a very long time.

On one hand, the Vypyr Tube sounds better. Regardless of how well it models what it's trying to model - without considering the concept of modeling, it just sounds good, and it sounds more lively and tube-like (well, it IS tube after all...) than the Vetta. The Vetta can very easily do the huge SS sound, since, well it is a huge SS. It can't pull off organic tube tones very well. That may be a pro or a con, just depends on what you're looking for tonally.

On the other hand, the Vetta II has a professional feature set. It allows very deep editing, and it isn't restricted, whereas the WYSIWYG nature of the Vypyr is extremely restricted.

Better of both worlds would be something like a POD HD preamp with a tube poweramp. But even that may not be as good as the Vypyr Tube is, due to the sheer nature of the Vypyr, the reason WHY it sounds so good compared to any other modeler (Fractal/Kemper notwithstanding): analog distortion. Line 6 uses digital modeling, and to date it will always lack that little something.

As for live use, there was a band I was good friends with and saw many, many times, one of their guitarist had an HD147, and he had trouble cutting through against the other guitarist's Marshall AVT. So that may way something.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 04-20-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
That's a tough question, and one I've been debating myself for a very long time.

On one hand, the Vypyr Tube sounds better. Regardless of how well it models what it's trying to model - without considering the concept of modeling, it just sounds good, and it sounds more lively and tube-like (well, it IS tube after all...) than the Vetta.

Having played both amps. One being 1400, I have to say you're wrong. Plenty of bands have used Vettas in the past, live and in the studio. Meshuggah and the new Guns n Roses spring to mind straight away.

The vetta sounds sick.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'm not trying to say they sound bad. They don't, at all. I just meant that the Vypyrs sound more organic and dynamic.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Better of both worlds would be something like a POD HD preamp with a tube poweramp. But even that may not be as good as the Vypyr Tube is, due to the sheer nature of the Vypyr, the reason WHY it sounds so good compared to any other modeler (Fractal/Kemper notwithstanding): analog distortion. Line 6 uses digital modeling, and to date it will always lack that little something.

As for live use, there was a band I was good friends with and saw many, many times, one of their guitarist had an HD147, and he had trouble cutting through against the other guitarist's Marshall AVT. So that may way something.

Th HD147 isn't a Vetta II. Also, the Vetta II is a pretty advanced version of the POD HD.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
I'm not trying to say they sound bad. They don't, at all. I just meant that the Vypyrs sound more organic and dynamic.

You're probably right about that. I think that's the big difference between tube amps and solid states. However, some the settings on the Vetta do have a pretty tubey sound.

AJScott- Meshuggah don't use Vetta anymore. They went the Fractal route.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

No, it's not, but it's (AFAIK) the most similar amp to the Vetta. I don't know a ton about them, but considering they are both 300W, I'd assume they both have the same poweramp.

And also AFAIK, the Vetta II is XT era modeling. The POD HD should be more advanced.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah, the Vetta II is XT modeling, which still sounds good, but not as good as the HD, some would argue (like me).

I think part of the appeal of the Vypyr is that it is simpler to use. Obviously one of the points of the Vetta is customizable settings with very specific parameters, but I think something can be said for simplicity. I also think that as others have said, the Vypyr has a more organic sound, and would be better for someone who is aiming at emulating a good tube amp. The Vetta II probably had better effects, but I think the power section of the Vypyr makes it a better gigging amp.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Th HD147 isn't a Vetta II. Also, the Vetta II is a pretty advanced version of the POD HD.

The HD 147 is using all the Vetta sims, but is geared twards hi-gain. The Vetta is the all rounder, The Duoverb is the clan mid-gain version and the HD 147 is the hi-gain one.

The Vetta software is older than the POD HD, I don't know where you got your info from.

I thought the Vetta II was X3 modeling and Vetta I was XT
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The HD 147 is using all the Vetta sims, but is geared twards hi-gain. The Vetta is the all rounder, The Duoverb is the clan mid-gain version and the HD 147 is the hi-gain one.

The Vetta software is older than the POD HD, I don't know where you got your info from.

I thought the Vetta II was X3 modeling and Vetta I was XT

You are probably right about the last part, whichever one is newer, I thought the XT was newer, my bad.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
MatrixClaw
UG God

Vetta I and II can both run the same firmware. The number is irrelevant, it's just which one you like the looks of better.

HD147 is just the high gain models of the Vetta, plus some clean ones. If you have a Vetta, you have an HD147. The models are based off the POD XT/X3 series of models, they are not the POD HD models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Couldn't that issue be worked out with an EQ rackmount or EQ pedal?

I guess, but then you're boosting frequencies that weren't really there in the first place. That's like buying a MG and then using an external EQ to try and make it sound better. It's hard to put into something what it doesn't already have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: